Waterfalls on Snowgrass Creek (Goat Rocks)

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
romann

Waterfalls on Snowgrass Creek (Goat Rocks)

Post by romann » August 16th, 2018, 11:19 pm

This was not really a trip or even part of the plan, but coming from a 4 day semi-crosscountry trek in the Goat Rocks I still had some daylight left and decided to check a waterfall on Snowgrass Creek. Not the one just above Cutoff Trail and camping area, commonly known as Snowgrass Falls, but one you can hear (but can't see) below from the lower switchback on Snowgrass Trail #96, at about 5100'.

I went down maybe 150 feet and in that short distance saw not 1 but 4 waterfalls (or tiers, since they are so close to one another)! The slope was brushy, but it was steep enough that I appreciated having some brush for handholds.

The upper tier was more difficult to take a picture of; there a small (15-20 feet) but very steep gully that I couldn't get down without some kind of a rope. I liked how it split into many small waterfalls on the way down
DSC_2874.JPG
The second tier (coming down) is much easier to get a look at
DSC_2877.JPG
On the next pic you can see the upper tier behind trees in the distance. Note the pile of boulders caught by fallen tree - that creek can be a raging torrent at times. It's 10-15 feet vertical drop to get to the base of 2nd tier, but view is better from the side of the gully anyway
DSC_2883.JPG
Coming very short way down, the creek is split in 2 and plunges down this double water slide
DSC_2889.JPG
DSC_2892.JPG
And finally, it plunges down what I think is the tallest drop, but the hillside becomes much steeper at this point and I didn't want to push my luck. There's a good spot to come down to the creek below double slide and just above the final(?) plunge.
DSC_2875.JPG
DSC_2893.JPG
Interesting that I walked within earshot of all this, dozens of times, and didn't think about checking it out ;) .. Just starting to scratch the surface in that huge wilderness, beyond the usual popular places.

Chip Down

Re: Waterfalls on Snowgrass Creek (Goat Rocks)

Post by Chip Down » August 20th, 2018, 4:26 am

romann wrote:
August 16th, 2018, 11:19 pm
Interesting that I walked within earshot of all this, dozens of times, and didn't think about checking it out ;) .. Just starting to scratch the surface in that huge wilderness, beyond the usual popular places.
I don't do much waterfall hunting, but there have been times when I've heard something and had to check it out. I wonder if waterfall fanatics are disappointed when it's windy, making it more difficult to listen for promising indications.

Thanks for giving this forum a much-needed break from the endless blathering about Mt St Helens. ;)

romann

Re: Waterfalls on Snowgrass Creek (Goat Rocks)

Post by romann » August 20th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Yes I'm also not a waterfall hunter, but after Gorge fire I got new appreciation for this sight and sound. And any time near water is a good time :) .

No problem with MSH reports Chip, I enjoy all of them. Wish I could share as much about my favorite neck of the woods. After someone wrote (a few years back) about "unbearable" crowds in the Goat Rocks on Labor Day and started pushing the idea of permits, I all but stopped doing trip reports about that area ;). Speaking of crowds, I probably saw 15 people in 4 days, even though I used trails half of the time (almost no one on weekdays).