chinook and wildcat falls from trail 130a

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
fallguy

chinook and wildcat falls from trail 130a

Post by fallguy » July 7th, 2009, 6:01 pm

I attemped to find the trailhead for 130A last weekend to no avail. So I gathered more maps and my roomate came along for the adventure. Dry creek road #64 is in descent shape and 6403 is ok with some rough spots. There were about a dozen small trees across the road and most could be drove over in a truck/suv or pulled away for quick passage. I did put multiple scratches in my new suv as there were many obstacles and 2 spots where the road was deteriorating. The Gifford Pinchot usgs map shows the correct condition of the road. The topo map I printed off this site shows 6403 turning south for a mile+ and the trailhead at the end of the road. This section of road has been out of commishion for some time. Next to the old road was a large grassy clearing, an old stack of firewood, and a wilderness pit toilet about 50 ft behind the clearing. the road had lots of trees across it but wasn't very brushy. We found what was left of a wilderness permit box at the end of the road where the trail began. The trail condition was good and easy to follow. after about 20-30 minutes down the trail the forest transformed into an old growth forest. There was hardly no understory but plenty of huge beautiful trees and a variety at that. This was my favorite part of the hike itself. This lasted for 1/4 to 1/2 mile before entering a mature second growth open forest and turning downhill southwest. This stretch down to the creek is the most physicaliy challenging part of the hike coming back up. It is long, steep, and the trail is washed out in one gully that was carefully passed with ease. You come to a sign that directs you down to chinook falls or continue straight to reach wildcat creek. We saved chinook for the return trip and headed down to wildcat creek. As the trail levels out and approaches the creek the forest transformed into what looked like the Hoh rainforest. There were huge logs covered in moss and the moss hung from every tree branch. The understory was low as was the waterflow. The trail ends at wildcat creek and scene is pictured below. There is a trail that follows the creek up on the opposite side. I don't know if it drops down to falls as we went up the creek. The first fall is not far and the left face can be climbed easily with care. There are some logs lying on the fall which appeared could be tipped and removed from the deep emerald green splash pool. The next cascade is a short distance in a slide form. these would be much nicer at higher flow but pretty anyway. Above this is Wildcat falls. we ate lunch and headed back to Chinook falls. This scene was my favorite of the day and I will let the pics tell the rest. Total hiking distance was 6+ miles. I will definitely visit these again. I am kinda glad the souixon trailhead road is closed otherwise I might not have experienced this.
Attachments
souixon mushrooms (1 of 1).jpg
trailside shroomies
souixon mushrooms 2 (1 of 1).jpg
mushrooms in the old growth section
wildcat creek scene.jpg
this is where the trail ends at the creek
wildcat cascade (1 of 1).jpg
first fall encountered
wildcat cascade 2 (1 of 1).jpg
slide before Wildcat falls
wildcat falls (1 of 1).jpg
Wildcat falls from the base
chinook fallls portriat 1 (1 of 1).jpg
Chinook falls
chinook falls wide angle (1 of 1).jpg
The scene as the trail ends at the creek

aywolfpac

Re: chinook and wildcat falls from trail 130a

Post by aywolfpac » July 8th, 2009, 8:36 am

Great report. Those pictures of Chinook Falls are fabulous!

greglief

Post by greglief » July 8th, 2009, 9:11 am

Great photos of Chinook Falls!

The C-Ws

Post by The C-Ws » July 8th, 2009, 4:28 pm

Great photos! BTW the trail leading up Wildcat Creek leads straight up to a viewpoint of the falls, with easy access to the base.
--Casey