Wind Mountain after a snow/ice storm

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Wind Mountain after a snow/ice storm

Post by Chip Down » December 26th, 2017, 8:41 pm

It was probably just a couple weeks ago that I added "Wind Mt, winter, up south down east" to my to-do list. That didn't take long to fulfill, thanks to the snow and ice that pummeled the gorge just before Christmas.

Parked at the traditional south-side pullout right on SR14. Started up west of the scar, partly for wind protection and partly for more adventure, but the snow was light in spots, just enough to hide the challenges lurking beneath. So I went east of center instead, where it's a little easier. Actually veered just slightly too far east, but no big deal. It was nice to see things from a different perspective. Anyway, managed to gain my intended ridge just about at the elevation where it gets interesting. Soon found crampons were necessary. The ascent was very slow due to the thin snow (I think moss/dirt/rocks were holding my axes and crampons as much as the snow was). I had to pick my placements very carefully. Although occasionally unnerving, it was mostly fun. I tried to stay on ridgecrest as much as possible, but in some spots it just wasn't practical, so I skirted to the east (but as high as possible). As I approached the summit, I had to stay in the wind-scoured areas to avoid postholing.

At the top, it was too cold and windy to relax. I was shocked to discover footprints, probably from today. Just west of the summit, I was pleased to find a small bare rocky spot a little off the trail. I had wind protection and a dry place to sit, so I took my only decent break of the day.

After lunch, I followed the trail down to the east viewpoint, where footprints went a few yards down the spur trail to the viewpoint before ending. That was understandable. If somebody was wearing just hiking boots with no spikes or treking poles, it would be slightly sketchy to drop the rest of the way to the landing.

After visiting the east viewpoint, I went back up the main trail towards the summit, maybe less than a minute, to get back to a possible descent route I had spotted, a broad open ridge (forested, but not brushy). I was a little nervous about starting down this unknown ridge less than two hours before sunset. The easy broad ridge soon became narrow and steep, so the crampons went back on. Eventually I dropped off the south side of the ridge and followed it to a creek (unnamed?) where I found an old road(?) built through a rocky slope. Followed it up until it ended at the creek, then down until it faded into the forest. From there I made a short side trip to a high point that disappointed, then dropped down to the abandoned powerline road that took me back to Wind's southside slide and my car.

I need to remember to bring a water bottle insulator, and I also should warm up my water before starting out. This was my second recent hike with a slushy water bottle.
Attachments
20171226_110108.jpg
Morning sky was pretty decent to the west, but foreboding to the east. Wind was, of course, from the east, and there was a chance of snow, but I never saw more than a brief flurry or two.
20171226_121132.jpg
20171226_121359.jpg
Christmas leftovers.
20171226_130208.jpg
Not as cute as previous years.
20171226_143437.jpg
The upper part of my descent ridge, just below the trail.
20171226_145716.jpg
Strange placement: southeast ridge, not on a high point.
Untitled.jpg