Lamberson/Gnarl the hard way

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Lamberson/Gnarl the hard way

Post by Chip Down » September 30th, 2017, 4:37 pm

Started at Elk Meadows. Followed Newton Creek up, same as 5 days prior, but this time I stayed low, down by the water, and took two right forks, taking me to a steep series of waterfalls, and then a relatively easy rocky bowl. Getting warm, shorts and tee weather, even at mid morning.

Thought I'd exit near Lamberson Butte, but the creek surprised me, curving left up towards Newton-Clark Glacier. Time anxiety was setting in, because I was planning a loop. But the terrain was suddenly much easier, and I quickly followed the creek all the way up to 2016 snow, then climbed up to a high point to get my bearings. Yep, right where I thought I'd be, overview to the neat basins below the Cooper-Spur side of Newton-Clark Glacier. It was extremely rewarding to link my route up with previously-explored territory.

Looking down, wondering where the heck the trail was, I spotted a couple hikers! Glissided/plunged down, yelled over, asked if they were on trail. They were looking for it too. I went and found it, but they struggled, wandered, went way off route (which I realized when I was lower and looking back up). I felt a little bad about that, but I guess there really wasn't anything I could do. It's not as if they were in trouble, just struggling a bit. They could have followed me, but of course they had no way of knowing that even in my ignorance I knew the mountain better than they did. On the way down, I was amazed at the views into the canyon I had ascended. All that time (after the creek took its surprise turn) I had a trail right up above me. No regrets, of course; I just found it interesting/amusing.

Went up Lamberson. Much easier than expected. Then found the shelter ruins, which I had heard of but had forgotten. Lower than I expected; I thought it was well above treeline. As I paused here, the hikers I had spoken with earlier passed by, and explained their difficulties. They had started at Cloudcap, and were intending to do the full TLT loop. Based on their footwear and routefinding difficulty, I wonder if they should have done this a month ago. I do admire their tenacity though, and hope they had a fun successful loop.

The trail hike down was very pleasant. More people than expected, considering the snow, and the fact that it was a weekday.

I messed up and took the upper trail to Newton Creek; I was planning to take the lower crossing. I didn't even notice my mistake until I was at the creek. The mountain seemed awfully close. Then it dawned on me. Hmm. Well, I hiked a section of trail that was new to me (down to the creek) and then up out of the canyon on a trail I've never seen bare, so it was somewhat rewarding anyway. I can always go back later to finish up that last little section of the timberline trail that I haven't set foot on.

Although I had previously considered this to be a minor fork of Newton Creek, I think it terminates (goes under snow) higher than the others, and was the most interesting rewarding fork to follow. Combine that with the fact that there's an easy on-trail decent, and an easy abort route to get out of the canyon and on-trail early, I'd say this has to be the best route for Newton Canyon explorers, with the only drawback being that it doesn't plow right up the center of Newton Canyon for maximum adventure.

As usual, there will be a second set of bonus pics, so come back in a few minutes. ;)
Attachments
0.jpg
Right up the center you'll see the tiered waterfalls that I wanted to follow. This pic was taken 5 days earlier. I scrapped my plans that day because getting to the base of that bottom tier would have been too arduous, so I explored another fork instead (there's a TR on that day too).
1.jpg
This was a major anxiety, but once I arrived, it was no problem. I was able to safely get above and cross on snow, but a quick dash through the tunnel would have been acceptably safe as well, if it had been necessary.
2.jpg
The first fork of the day. To my left, one branch tumbles over a tiny cliff. Straight ahead is my intended route. So far, it looks pretty easy.
3.jpg
The waterfall on the right is the one I'll be following up. Straight/left goes where I was 5 days ago.
4.jpg
Okay, the tiered cliffy section is behind me, now it's an easier rocky ascent. Kinda looks like the creek will curve around to the right towards Lamberson, but no, it loops behind those outcroppings and goes left.
5.jpg
Following the creek was getting a little tricky, so I looped up higher here and then dropped back in. The final waterfall is up there to the right.
6.jpg
Getting a little closer to the final falls.
7.jpg
Creek ends here. I could have followed the easy snow up, but veered right to get up higher and survey my position.
8.jpg
Turnaround point. Those familiar with this part of the mountain will recognize BABB (big-ass boulder basin).
9.jpg
Blue line is my descent from my high point down to the trail. Then I went around the obvious basin, and followed the prominent ridge back to the trail again. That was the last of the difficulties. Below there, it was clear to Lamberson Butte.

Chip Down

Re: Lamberson/Gnarl the hard way

Post by Chip Down » September 30th, 2017, 4:44 pm

bonus pics
Attachments
b0.jpg
Pretty sure I was on the Timberline Trail, but it was good to see this confirmation.
b1.jpg
From the trail, looking into the canyon I ascended. It looks so easy from here!
b2.jpg
From this side, with a bit of fresh snow, you can really see the spur ridge that drops from NC Moraine to the point where Newton Creek gets pinched.
b3.jpg
A low-budget benchmark on Lamberson.
b4.jpg
Looking up at what was a skylight in an ice cave, but then it was filled in with fresh snow. This is why you don't walk on snow without having some sense of what might be underneath!
b5.jpg
Notice the series of circular depressions in the snow near the left margin of this pic. I'm stumped.
b6.jpg
Sleep is for wussies.