Mississippi Head the hard way

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Mississippi Head the hard way

Post by Chip Down » September 12th, 2017, 6:02 pm

I've wanted to ascend the medial ridge/moraine that runs up ZigZag canyon. Finally got to it Sunday.

The unexpected drizzle started before Sandy, and continued to Gov Camp, but at the lodge I was above the clouds. It was chilly and breezy though, and I started out wearing more layers than I have in months.

Hit the ZZ overlook on the PCT just before sunrise. I've been known to take a Paradise Park shortcut by dropping directly into the canyon and ascending the other side, but I didn't know if I'd be able to gain/ascend the medial ridge from the canyon bottom. It's a bit rugged in there. So I ascended the east rim of the canyon until I reached a point where I knew I could drop in and ascend to the ridge.

Once I dropped into the canyon, progress was slow, partly because I did a lot of exploring, including some elevation loss, and also because the unstable sandy terrain was hard to ascend efficiently. Even the ridgecrest was hard to make good time on. At times, it was uncomfortably narrow, and there was a jumbled gendarmy stretch that was tricky. It was discouraging to see how slow my progress was, but curiously I made really good time once I dropped off ridgecrest and headed to the terminus of Mississippi Glacier. The terrain was rugged, but always safe.

On the snow, ascent out of the canyon was fast, and then I was on Mississippi Head. A quick descent along the cliffedge put me at Propeller Prow, where I lingered for an hour. Started the ascent back off of MH at the hottest time of day. What a miserable crumbly sandy trudge. I was so happy to reach the top of Mississippi Glacier, where I stripped off my sweaty clothes and rolled naked in the snow. Maybe I'm kidding. Maybe I'm not.

From there I just dawdled through the rock and snow, enjoying a pleasant stroll to the lifts, where I caught Glisside Gully for a fast drop to the lodge. Although it was a good day, I have to say the effort/reward ratio wasn't great. I think I could have picked a better route through ZZ canyon. But I guess there's only one way to know for sure. (to be continued)
Attachments
0.jpg
One of the reasons you shouldn't sleep in on the weekend. The sea-of-clouds thing is a cliche, but still cool. Mt Jeff poking through, and Sisters too. To the right (not pictured) Mt Hood's shadow was on the clouds.
1.jpg
This is about where I dropped into the canyon. That's where the commitment begins, because there's really no quick easy way out once you're in that canyon.
2.jpg
Looking down the medial ridge into ZigZag canyon. Way down below, the PCT ZZ overlook is to the left, and Paradise Park is to the right. PCT crosses the creek waaaay downstream.
3.jpg
The crux of my route was getting over/around a short stretch that was rugged and unstable, culminating with a mini gendarme. Above here, it was briefly easy, then slightly sketchy again for a bit. It was just a little unsettling, never terrifying.
4.jpg
Getting high up the ridge, starting to get very broad and jumbled.
5.jpg
Approaching the terminus of Mississippi Glacier after dropping off the medial ZigZag ridge/moraine.
6.jpg
The top of Mississippi Glacier is a really cool spot, one of my favorite sites between Reid and White River. I love how it abruptly levels off at the top (consistently, not just a 2017 fluke) and I love the low fringe of rock at its edge. It's a distinctive landmark visible from many vantage points.
7.jpg
From this angle, you can see the tip of the MH cliff features a little overhanging gargoyle. Beneath my feet, to the left notice the flat-ish platform with greenery and creeks, and even a waterfall if you look closely. I've been there in spring, but I want to get there in the summer when it's bare. Bonus would be checking out the bomber wreckage at the base of the cliffs.
8.jpg
On the way back to the lodge, I was shocked to see a little surprise, right in center of frame. This is why I feel justified calling it a glacier, but I do so somewhat facetiously. I'm just being a little dramatic. But I do know it never melts out; it even survived 2015, a year with very little snow.
9.jpg

Guy

Re: Mississippi Head the hard way

Post by Guy » September 12th, 2017, 7:32 pm

Wow never felt comfortable going in there Chip, as you made you way down did you notice all the plane debris that sits in the canyon below the propeller? It's hard to see except from a few spots up on the rim or by looking over the edge at Mississippi head..
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 12th, 2017, 7:43 pm

Yeah, Guy, I was able to see a bit of it. I was specifically looking for it, as I've been told there's wreckage down there too. Interesting to imagine how different things would have turned out if the crash had been 100 feet higher or lower. That propeller sitting right there on the prow is an amazing sight.

edit: Was only able to see it from above, when on the edge of the cliff. When in the canyon, I couldn't spot anything.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » September 12th, 2017, 8:59 pm

Another fantastic journey. Thank you!

Mike/GoalTech