Crater Rock (Hood)

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Crater Rock (Hood)

Post by Chip Down » August 27th, 2017, 8:00 pm

Another hot weekend. Figured I'd go see what Hood's crater looks like in the summer. Maybe try to climb Crater Rock, either from Hogsback or the SW breach. I didn't feel comfortable trying either without snow. Wasn't able to loop around and drop through the west crater. Steep and crumbly, not as much snow as the east side. Lots of rockfall too. Went back the way I came. Lots of fun. The crater was more interesting than expected, and I had it all to myself, so poked around for a long time, hiked up to the top of Hot Rocks, explored around Crater Rock as much as I thought would be safe.
Attachments
a0.jpg
Upper White River Glacier. Crater Rock at left, Steel Cliff at right.
a1.jpg
Looking up into the east crater. Devil's Kitchen to right. Note the creek west of DK.
a2.jpg
A picture of my car. You know, way down there. Oh, and a glacier too, and the creek that flows out of the crater.
a3.jpg
a4.jpg
a5.jpg
a6.jpg
looking west from Devil's Kitchen
a7.jpg
I encourage you to click to expand, and check the fine detail.
a8.jpg
Hot Rocks in west crater.
a9.jpg
Bergschrund at upper right. Notice there's not much of a Hogsback. Very flat/broad and low. Seems like a determined summer climber might be able to gain the summit ridge to the west (upper left). Seemed moderately safe. I wasn't equipped for it, which is probably good, because I didn't want to be tempted.
Last edited by Chip Down on August 27th, 2017, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chip Down

Re: Crater Rock (Hood)

Post by Chip Down » August 27th, 2017, 8:12 pm

[mandatory text here]
Attachments
b0.jpg
Crater Rock viewed from Hot Rocks.
b1.jpg
My turnaround point, top of Hot Rocks, near the bergschrund.
b2.jpg
Illumination Rock below to left, Hawkins Cliffs (I think) to the right of Illumination. I wanted to see how the west crater rim looked. It would be fairly easy to get there, but rockfall was a concern.
b3.jpg
The planned descent route that I aborted.
b4.jpg
What's with all the wood in the crater? And a cigarette butt? Really?!
b5.jpg
A little fire to go with my ice.
b6.jpg
Cable at the base of Crater Rock, way higher than any ski operations. Hmm...
b7.jpg
Crater Rock, with the obvious SW breach that I went and checked out.
b8.jpg
On the way down, I had to resist the temptation to follow snow gullies like this. Earlier observations from up high told me they would take me a bit west, and then I'd have to hike back to the lodge.

Chazz

Post by Chazz » August 28th, 2017, 8:29 am

Fantastic pics, ChipDown. I did really like the sulpher crystals. I sent that to a couple folks who are relatively new to Portland and were scoffing at the idea that Mt Hood is an active volcano.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 28th, 2017, 6:24 pm

Chazz wrote:Fantastic pics, ChipDown. I did really like the sulpher crystals. I sent that to a couple folks who are relatively new to Portland and were scoffing at the idea that Mt Hood is an active volcano.
Yeah, I know everybody says Hood is "dormant", but damn! She's just napping. Here are some more steam and sulfur pics:
Attachments
20170826_135237.jpg
20170826_135433.jpg
20170826_135520.jpg
20170826_153954.jpg
20170826_160214.jpg
20170826_150531.jpg
20170826_153350.jpg

mjirving

Post by mjirving » August 28th, 2017, 9:45 pm

I love your posts, thanks for sharing. Fascinating to see the differences later in the summer as I was up there in early July.

Mike

BigBear

Post by BigBear » August 29th, 2017, 8:44 am

I suspect that the wood you found was from the old fire lookout that once sat atop Mt. Hood's summit.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 29th, 2017, 5:46 pm

BigBear wrote:I suspect that the wood you found was from the old fire lookout that once sat atop Mt. Hood's summit.
I didn't know! Fascinating. I understand there's a bit of detritus up there on the summit. I was there once in August, but having arrived at 11:50pm there wasn't much opportunity to enjoy the scenery (come to think of it, I believe it was still snowy). I've also wondered about the coiled rope and boards neatly piled up on upper Cooper Spur, maybe about 10k-ish feet.
mjirving wrote:Fascinating to see the differences later in the summer as I was up there in early July.
One of my favorite things about hiking is going on a summer trip to a place I've only previously seen with full snow coverage.

Guy

Post by Guy » August 29th, 2017, 8:55 pm

As well as the rope and old wood have seen the old engine that's still up there? Up in the rocks on your left side and a little behind you as you approach the Devils Kitchen.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 30th, 2017, 4:53 am

I read something about the engine, but didn't know where to look. I might go hunting this weekend. Any idea what it was for?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 5th, 2017, 8:04 pm

I wondered if that engine would be as hard for me to find as the Benson Buick, but nope, it's right in plain site. It was in a place that I was actually thinking about exploring last weekend. Imagine my shock if I had stumbled into that unprepared!

Visually, the smoke was thicker than I've ever seen it on Hood. Smell wasn't as strong as last weekend.

Crater was relatively crowded: party of three fast/light hikers, then a summit team of three, followed by four who I didn't speak with. I took care of my business and hurried down before succumbing to temptation.
Attachments
0.jpg
And there it is. Easily the most bizarre thing I've seen on Hood. I've thought about the crazy things I could haul up there as a prank, but nothing could beat the Crater Rock engine.
1.jpg
If you had told me 10 days ago that there's a pile of neatly-stacked lumber on Crater Rock, I'd have scoffed.
2.jpg
Top of the SW gully on Crater Rock. Illumination Rock is a popular photo subject, but I don't think I've seen a pic of it from here.
3.jpg
Another angle, looking down on ZZ glacier.
4.jpg
5.jpg
I saw a bit of light deep in this tunnel. But adding to all the usual hazards, I had that boulder waiting to crash through, and sulfur vents.
6.jpg
As far as I felt I could go safely. That blue chamber beckoned though. A younger CD probably would have continued.
7.jpg
looking out
8.jpg
9.jpg
The ultimate mountaineering accessory: a bottle of liquid courage.
I was a bit over-equipped because I was planning some Reid exploring. Might post a TR later.