Crater Rock (Hood)

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
mjirving

Re: Crater Rock (Hood)

Post by mjirving » September 5th, 2017, 8:53 pm

Awesome as usual...fascinating!

Mike

Water

Post by Water » September 5th, 2017, 10:36 pm

thanks for sharing. excellent beer choices.

I can never seem to bring myself to climb hood, let alone most of the other volcanoes once the snow is gone, but i always appreciate seeing what is up there.

i've seen metal cable lines (inch diameter?) up around the summit going down cooper spur way.

tell me more about this stacked lumber..
Feel Free to Feel Free

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » September 5th, 2017, 11:13 pm

Good lord man, did you polish off an entire bottle of Dark Star by yourself up there? It's a wonder you survived.

Nice vintage ice tool shot - you're really starting to date yourself here as you let your guard down. ;) So is the donkeygin on Crater Rock itself, meaning you actually ventured atop it? I've never been able to make myself go up Hood in snowless conditions - in fact, this past Sunday was the first time I've even been to Timberline in summer (there's a back patio?!). The EC fire was already filling the air with smoke though. :(
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 6th, 2017, 7:32 pm

Water wrote:tell me more about this stacked lumber..
With all the exploring I've done between White River and Reid this summer, I've been amazed at how much wood is up there. But a neat stack of lumber is something new to me. Anyway, see pics below for more details.
Bosterson wrote:Good lord man, did you polish off an entire bottle of Dark Star by yourself up there? It's a wonder you survived.
I had to work the next day, so cut myself off at 3/4 of the bottle. But normally I would, like if it was a Saturday. Drunk glissading is a blast!
Bosterson wrote:Nice vintage ice tool shot - you're really starting to date yourself here as you let your guard down. ;)
Takes one to know one! (i.e. you have to be old enough to recognize it, right? ;) )
Bosterson wrote:So is the donkeygin on Crater Rock itself, meaning you actually ventured atop it?
Yeah, it's perched up there on Crater Rock. See pics below.
Bosterson wrote:I've never been able to make myself go up Hood in snowless conditions - in fact, this past Sunday was the first time I've even been to Timberline in summer (there's a back patio?!). The EC fire was already filling the air with smoke though. :(
Completely snow-free hiking up there is almost impossible, as I learned in the 2015 drought year. But now is still good. Enough snow to aid travel, and ample running water. It's been a lot of fun poking around up there this summer.

I was similarly surprised when I encountered the amphitheater out back one night as I stumbled back to the lodge.

I was there Saturday and Monday, so you were sandwiched between my visits.
Attachments
20170904_132505.jpg
Crater Rock viewed from ZZ glacier, (approaching Illumination Saddle). The relics are on the other side, just below the slot.
20170904_102146.jpg
Pic taken from Devil's Kitchen. Lower circle is engine, upper circle is cable/lumber.
20170904_114055.jpg
Lots of cable up there. In addition to the tidy pile, there was also some scattered lumber. Maybe it was left that way, but my guess is it's the result of decades of wind/erosion/rockfall/storms.
20170904_114430.jpg
This would seem to be consistent with a structure of some sort, which means the neat pile of lumber was from demo, not staged for construction.
20170904_105827.jpg
A few pieces of rusty angle iron are at the east edge of Devil's Kitchen, just under Steel Cliff. They didn't seem to belong to anything down there.
20170904_173226.jpg
Just a bonus pic from down below. Looks pretty old.