Return to Pittock Glacier(?), to Newton-Clark bergschrund

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Return to Pittock Glacier(?), to Newton-Clark bergschrund

Post by Chip Down » July 23rd, 2017, 3:39 pm

Hot day, no wind...needed to start high and get on snow, my only chance to stay cool.
Wanted to go back for more Pittock Glacier exploration. Last time I only made it to the terminus.

From Mt Hood Meadows, veered left lower than I ever have, dropping into the White River canyon as low as possible. I dreaded that steep crumbly descent. It's not exactly dangerous, but one has to be careful.

Was disappointed to find the canyon mostly dry. I really need to get in there early some year, perhaps May. I bet it's beautiful when it's half snow and the creeks are flowing. Dawdled and explored the canyon, thinking there were some spots I hadn't seen yet. Nope, I was wrong, I think I had already seen everything.

Climbed to my high point on my previous visit (Pittock terminus), and started up Pittock Glacier. Boring. No scenery in that little depression. Sun-cupped just enough to be a hassle. I was grateful when the slope eased off and I got above the gully. Flowers, creeks, views. I explored all over, went west to a White River Glacier overlook, watched the snowboarders for a while.

Traversed back east to visit the top of Dryer Glacier, as well as the top of the skinny little lobe of Dryer. Wandered around just checking out the scenery. Spotted a serac on Newton-Clark Glacier poking over the ridge that runs between Dryer and NC. Had to go check it out. On the way, found a helmet when exploring a crevasse. It was filthy, but I put it on over my hat. If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times: when you're in a rock-littered crevasse and you find a helmet, you don't question it, you just put the damn thing on. From the serac (curiously not as impressive up close) I saw what appeared to be a bergschrund above, so went to check that out. Views from NC Glac were outstanding, but clouds were intermittent. Was able to spot Tie In Rock on Cooper Spur, the waterfall below Cooper, the bigass boulder and the sandy basin it resides in below the far end of Newton-Clark. Getting a little chilly, windier than expected, never enough to justify digging another layer out.

Owing to my circuitous route and explorations, I had actually spent more time on the mountain than a slow summit climber from TL. Time to head down. I was hoping for a long glissade, but this high up everything leads into Heather Canyon or White River Canyon, so I had to stick to the ridge. It wasn't bad, nice and sandy for the most part, easy to descend. Even lower, I stuck to the ridge for better views and the last bit of sun before it dipped. Found a broken ski pole, but later found another in decent shape, and added it to my collection.

After sunset, veered left and followed snow as much as possible. Arrived at the car as headlamp time was creeping up, but never needed it.

Next time we have a hot still day, I might go explore Dryer Glacier in full.

If you're curious about my first Pittock Glacier trip, here's my report from Oct 2015: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22817
Attachments
0.jpg
1.jpg
Working my way up the White River canyon.
2.jpg
Looking up Pittock. Yep, it's exactly as boring as it looks.
3.jpg
Looking down Pittock, maybe about half way up. Amused by the tic-tac-toe theme.
4.jpg
Starting to exit the boring steep Pittock gully, getting some better scenery.
6.jpg
looking down from the top of Pittock.
5.jpg
Top of Pittock as seen from the west.
7.jpg
Looking up from the top of Pittock.
8.jpg
Coming down the broad ridge between Meadows and White River.
9.jpg
Last look up at the mountain, from the broad ridge between Meadows and White River.

Chip Down

Re: Return to Pittock Glacier(?), to Newton-Clark bergschrun

Post by Chip Down » July 23rd, 2017, 3:41 pm

bonus pics
Attachments
b1.jpg
b2.jpg
b3.jpg
b4.jpg
what's with this yellow "X" in the white river canyon?
b5.jpg
b6.jpg

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » July 23rd, 2017, 6:41 pm

I really like that last photo (b6).

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 4th, 2017, 7:09 pm

Nice report, Chip! Love the photos!

Tom :)