Pure Hate Gorge

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
chameleon

Pure Hate Gorge

Post by chameleon » July 17th, 2017, 2:23 pm

Yesterday, I was treated to a trip into Pure Hate Gorge. My buddy Nick had heard of long ago when he began his rope-learning in a climbing gem. While not the top of his to-do list, the description he'd been given was enticing enough to make it a "definitely someday" trip.
Zach-Forsyth-Pure-Hate-Gorge-5.jpg

Apparently the moniker was given to the canyon by kayakers who likely had a very different experience than canyoneers/photographers here. Rather than pure hate, we found it to be not only delicious, but decadent! With notes of Rock Creek (near Stevenson) and Cussed Hollow (along the Lewis), it was complete with gorgeous short swims, smooth canyon walls, wildflowers, and amazing greens!
Zach-Forsyth-Pure-Hate-Gorge-4.jpg
Zach-Forsyth-Pure-Hate-Gorge-2.jpg
Zach-Forsyth-Pure-Hate-Gorge-7.jpg
Zach-Forsyth-Pure-Hate-Gorge-1.jpg
Zach-Forsyth-Pure-Hate-Gorge-9.jpg
Zach-Forsyth-Pure-Hate-Gorge-3.jpg
Though only about a mile long, our whole group found Pure Hate to be a pure joy! That's not to say there aren't hazards like slick rocks, and one minor technical canyoneering challenge if you choose to rappel down into the narrows from the top (alternatively you could bushwhack over and swim in from below). Overall though, it was an amazing place! Not many better places to spend a hot summer day!
Zach-Forsyth-Pure-Hate-Gorge-6.jpg
~ Zach Forsyth

Webfoot

Re: Pure Hate Gorge

Post by Webfoot » July 17th, 2017, 7:08 pm

That looks amazing! What is the total length (time, distance) of this excursion? Would it be achievable for a first-time canyoneer (with a bit of climbing experience) accompanying an experienced group? Would you PM me access information or give me a link if it is publicly online?

chameleon

Post by chameleon » July 18th, 2017, 11:45 am

It's a long drive from Portland- @3 1/2 hours. The canyon itself is quite short - 3/4 mile, but you def want to spend time playing around! So 3-4 hours is sufficient. There was only one moderate canyoneering technical challenge, rapping down into the top of the Gorge. In low water it wouldn't be a challenge at all though. And in any case, you can scwhack around it if you want. However, be warned there is swimming and a lot of scrambling over/through log jams!c

Peder

Post by Peder » July 19th, 2017, 4:49 am

Very cool pictures! Good for you.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…