Raker Point/Sawtooth Mtn - June 25, 2017

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
pablo

Raker Point/Sawtooth Mtn - June 25, 2017

Post by pablo » June 25th, 2017, 11:03 pm

I have been eying Raker Point for quite some time motivated in part by its location and appearance in Google Earth and also by a postcard photo Splintercat posted in an article on the photographer on his blog at https://wyeastblog.org/2013/02/.

Here's the card:

So one thing was to see how close I could get to this photo on the card. Answer is sort of close but the location where this photo was taken is overgrown. Additionally there are some FS lookout panos referenced as Raker Point locations but are actually taken further east on Sawtooth Mtn. I had hoped to try to replicate those panos but the ridge is too overgrown to allow that.

There have been mentions of Raker Point on OH and Limey visited Sawtooth Mtn a while back and posted a TR here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15666

Just recently I think there was a Sawtooth Mtn TR but I'm too lazy to look it up. I'm not sure of any other TRs to Raker Point but if there are TRs to Raker Pt out there send me links. I'd like a second opinion.

So the plan was a loop using the old Skyline Trail segment that takes off from the FR-13 Rd and goes north before switching back to head downhill to the creek crossing. I figure this would get me closer before starting the bushwhack to Raker Pt. Then up to Raker Point and turn east to follow the ridge of Sawtooth Mtn and investigate some possible viewpoints I'd scouted in Google Earth. At some point on the ridge I'd turn down hill and close the loop by bushwhacking down from the ridge returning to my vehicle parked at the entrance of a logging road.

Turns out the (slightly overgrown) Skyline Trail segment follows an old logging road just before making the turn down slope and the road actually continues on northward for a short distance. This was good and bad, Travel on the road was easy but when it stopped I had to do a nasty b-whack to get back into the woods.

Buck Peak from the Skyline Trail

ImageIMG_5026 by pauljess999, on Flickr

End of trail and continuation on road

ImageIMG_5038 by pauljess999, on Flickr

End of road, bushwhack to Raker Point began up a steep brushy hillside.

ImageIMG_5039 by pauljess999, on Flickr

After this short but intense uphill b-whack through brush of various kinds and density I was gifted with open forest for most of the way to the top. Parts are quite steep but no brush to speak of.

ImageIMG_5041 by pauljess999, on Flickr

First thing on the talus slope on the south side of Raker Pt was to take a photo of this beargrass bloom.

ImageIMG_5056 by pauljess999, on Flickr

First photo of Hood and Lost Lake from below the top of Raker Pt.

ImageIMG_5059 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Some context at the same location

ImageIMG_5084 by pauljess999, on Flickr

A closer look at Lost Lake

ImageIMG_5090 by pauljess999, on Flickr

No rhodies handy like in the postcard so I used vine maple

ImageIMG_5128 by pauljess999, on Flickr

On the north side of Raker Pt looking northeast-ish to Sunshine Rock and parts east

ImageIMG_5168 by pauljess999, on Flickr

On Raker Pt

ImageIMG_5217 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Indian Mtn from the north side of Raker Pt

ImageIMG_5224 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Top of Raker Point

ImageIMG_5233 by pauljess999, on Flickr

In the saddle on the decommissioned road at the likely spot where the postcard photo was taken - all overgrown now,

ImageIMG_5246 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Looking down the decommed road before heading for a high point of Sawtooth Mtn that looked to have views. Travel was mostly easy on the road although to cool off I ducked into the woods every now and then,

ImageIMG_5250 by pauljess999, on Flickr

From the decommed road

ImageIMG_5276 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Starting the climb to get back on the ridge of Sawtooth Mtn using a meadow I'd seen in Google Earth to get to the top.

ImageIMG_5288 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Looking up the meadow

ImageIMG_5315 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Going east on the ridge of Sawtooth Mtn was mostly like this

ImageIMG_5350 by pauljess999, on Flickr

The final viewpoint on top of a cliff facing north

Wide angle

ImageIMG_5398 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Sunshine Rock

ImageIMG_5406 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Chinidere

ImageIMG_5409 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Lost Lake Butte and Hood

ImageIMG_5437 by pauljess999, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5442 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Looking east to the rest of Sawtooth Mtn. The rock outcrop right and slightly above center could have been a problem, I bailed before then and headed back to the FR-13 road to finish up.

ImageIMG_5445 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Cliffs on the final viewpoint were made of this stuff:

ImageIMG_5460 by pauljess999, on Flickr

The return was a nice steep ramble through clear partial old growth. Again, very little brush.

KMZ file of track:
RakerPtSawtoothMth-2017-06-25.kmz
(17.49 KiB) Downloaded 439 times
Map of the day: about 5 miles, 1700' cumulative EG.

ImageTOPOMap by pauljess999, on Flickr
Last edited by pablo on July 3rd, 2017, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

miah66

Re: Raker Point/Sawtooth Mtn - June 25, 2017

Post by miah66 » June 26th, 2017, 10:27 am

Wow! You got some really great shots of Hood & Lost Lake from your Google Earth meadow climb.
pablo wrote: ImageIMG_5288 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Stunning! I hiked Lost Lake butte last weekend for the first time. It was actually my first visit to Lost Lake since around 2009, before I even started hiking much. I was disappointed with the butte hike, since you really can't see the lake at all, or anything to the North. View of Hood is nice though.

Great job. I was curious about that Skyline trail segment, since you cross it for a brief few steps on the way to the Butte from the Campground @ Lost Lake.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

BigBear

Post by BigBear » June 26th, 2017, 1:42 pm

I think you found the spot, you just need to go back when the rhodies are in bloom.

Guy

Post by Guy » June 26th, 2017, 2:04 pm

Another classic "Pablo adventure"! Thanks for sharing Paul that looks like a lot of fun!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

pablo

Post by pablo » June 27th, 2017, 12:01 pm

miah66 wrote:Wow! You got some really great shots of Hood & Lost Lake from your Google Earth meadow climb.
pablo wrote:
Stunning! I hiked Lost Lake butte last weekend for the first time. It was actually my first visit to Lost Lake since around 2009, before I even started hiking much. I was disappointed with the butte hike, since you really can't see the lake at all, or anything to the North. View of Hood is nice though.

Great job. I was curious about that Skyline trail segment, since you cross it for a brief few steps on the way to the Butte from the Campground @ Lost Lake.
Hey miah66, thx, a lucky shot. Wish I had the photoshop skills to soup it up.

At one time that Skyline segment connected to the present PCT at a location north of Buck Peak in the saddle there. First class trail back in the day and it was on my list to explore but I got lazy and left it for another day.

--Paul

pablo

Post by pablo » June 27th, 2017, 12:03 pm

BigBear wrote:I think you found the spot, you just need to go back when the rhodies are in bloom.
You know, I looked at this intently in Google Earth before I went up and the best match to the postcard was from the saddle. But the view from Raker Pt proper is certainly good enough. No rhodies on the south side though.

pablo

Post by pablo » June 27th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Guy wrote:Another classic "Pablo adventure"! Thanks for sharing Paul that looks like a lot of fun!
Thx Guy, It was a lot of fun and turned out better than I expected. I think your crew would like this one, apart from some minor inconveniences a nice offtrail adventure hike.

--Paul

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 27th, 2017, 2:06 pm

pablo wrote: Hey miah66, thx, a lucky shot. Wish I had the photoshop skills to soup it up.
Soupy enough? :lol:
SoupFilter.jpg

pablo

Post by pablo » June 27th, 2017, 8:36 pm

Webfoot wrote:
pablo wrote: Hey miah66, thx, a lucky shot. Wish I had the photoshop skills to soup it up.
Soupy enough? :lol:

Yes, nice - the changes to the sky and contrast in the forest make a difference. I should learn some skills...

Thx,

--Paul

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 4th, 2017, 7:32 pm

Hey, Paul - loved this report! But the freaky part is that was working on a blog article on Raker Point at almost the same time in June... great minds think alike? I wish I would have seen this, as it would have asked to include some of your photos and recon in the article. For now, I think I'll just add a postscript and link at the bottom.

Thanks for posting! Your legend continues to grow..! :D

(BTW, the blog article is over here.

Tom :)