#501 Eagle to Plaza (fail), #785 Coffman Camp Trail Recon

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
pablo

#501 Eagle to Plaza (fail), #785 Coffman Camp Trail Recon

Post by pablo » June 24th, 2009, 2:54 pm

The 501 to Plaza Trail as shown on the '38 and Splintercat's Rondthaller map is gone, nada, zip, zilch, this parrot is neither sleeping nor pining for the fjords, it is dead. Never again will I go looking for this segment of trail, at least not until next time. I've run 2 vertical lines now with some floating back and forth and the only reward I've received is near impenetrable rhododendron thickets. Clearly a very hot fire rolled up the headwaters of Eagle Creek some 60 years ago and fried everything with the returning reprod around 40-50 years old. No blaze, no bench, no signs of maintenance just brush.

I propose instead "Pablo's Way", named in honor of myself. This provides the most brush-free and direct route out of Eagle Creek to the Plaza Trail. Map at the end of this TR.

I started this trip from Abbott Rd (aka FR 4610) near the road to Tumala Mtn. It is possible the paved Tumala Mountain Road is clear to the trailheads on that side of Tumala Mtn. but I was interested in snow conditions on Abbott Rd for access to a couple of other hikes I've plannned that start off Abbott Rd.

Very nice day, lots of clear skies and sunshine at the summit. There were a couple of snow drifts on the way up but nothing major. The views from Tumala Mtn are spectacular and stretch out in most all directions from the coast range to the farmlands of Clackamas County, south to Jefferson, north to Mount Hood and the rest of the volcanoes.

The 'Welcome' steps and MH:

Trying to achieve the look pioneered by cfm as seen in a previous TR on Tumala Mtn., my camera is on the USGS brass benchmark. Not sure it works for me.

Down below is Tumala Lakes and Meadow.

Down South to Jefferson and that must be Ollalie Butte on the left.

I departed Tumala Mtn. and headed down the Eagle Cutoff to Eagle Creek. Spotty snow on the trail just after leaving the summit - I walked off the trail one time but in general easy to stay on the trail. I reached Eagle Creek and it was crossable and I did so with a hop, step, and jump.

From here I started the search for sign of the #501 to Plaza trail. The map from Splintercat seemed to lie along the 2800' contour so I paid attention there, problem was even at that elevation I was in forest that did not exist until recently. I saw no trail bench and there were none of the older logs and standing snags one would expect to see. I concluded as I stated above - fairly recent and very hot fire removed all live trees, downed logs, and standing snags thereby removing any blaze that may have existed. The further east I went the more difficult the rhododendron became, eventually I gave up and went for the ridge I'd traveled in a previous attempt.

You shall not pass!

Close up of the flowers, they were laughing at me, "pitiful human, we will scratch you and poke your eyes out."

I gave up and headed to the far more rational Pablo's Way route where the following is more typical.

Having posted a massive fail on the 501 to Plaza I sought to redeem myself with a recon of the #785 Coffman Camp trail. This trail departs from the Bonanza Trail and climbs of the the ridge to the east of Cheeney Creek to the ridge line, then on to the Plaza Trail. USGS maps erroneously post the location of Coffman Camp at the junction of this trail and the Plaza,it really lies further to the west and it is easy to see why this trail would be abandoned as the Bonanza trail works just fine for getting to Coffman Camp. Still it is on the USGS maps and a couple of MHNF maps and the ridge line looks nice so one of these days I'll do the entire thing. I went out on the ridge where I found no trail, some possible blaze, and a couple of primitive campsites with the usual amount of litter.

Typical ridge line part of the 785 on the section I traveled, not a lot of brush at this point.

Camp:

I left this segment of the Coffman Camp trail and headed for home. Along the headwaters of Eagle Creek I checked for possible #501 signs and saw none.

At Sheepshead rock I tarried a bit and enjoyed the view. Notable in this photo is the old growth Doug fir along the banks of the South Fork Salmon River, the target of a 2007 lost trails adventure - tough travel but beautiful surroundings in there.

From the rock I continued South along the lightly snow covered Plaza Trail until this guy popped in for a visit. Not sure what it is, landed about 20 feet away from me on a snow bank and just sat there.

The approach to the end of the Plaza Trail and the Twin Springs camp was on a 2-3' or deeper snow floor.

Once on Abbott Road I encounter more snow - at least mid-July before this is gone.

Approximately 18 miles, 4800' vertical, about 10 hours on the trail. The blue line is Pablo's Way, the red, of course, is the hike described above.

Last edited by pablo on June 24th, 2009, 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

anna in boots

Re: #501 Eagle to Plaza (fail), #785 Coffman Camp Trail Recon

Post by anna in boots » June 24th, 2009, 3:10 pm

Your birdie friend looks like a Band-tailed Pigeon. Was he about 12-14" head to tail and on the grey side?

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

pablo

Post by pablo » June 24th, 2009, 8:13 pm

anna in boots wrote:Your birdie friend looks like a Band-tailed Pigeon. Was he about 12-14" head to tail and on the grey side?

anna in boots
Yes about that long, hints of brown but mostly gray. The beak looks distinctive.

Thx,

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Guy

Post by Guy » June 24th, 2009, 9:10 pm

Thanks for a great report Paul, I'll be going to check out Pablo's Way sometime this year..
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

awildman

Post by awildman » June 25th, 2009, 8:19 am

Pablo - you're my hero. Thanks for trying to track down the "once was" trails. I'm sure Pablo's Way will be in the books soon enough. ;)
Rambling on at Allison Outside

Charley

Post by Charley » June 25th, 2009, 9:38 am

Where my family's from, in the Southern Appalachians, a Rhododendron thicket like that is called a "laurel hell". The early mountain people thought that rhodie's were actually laurel. They got that part wrong, but they got the "hell" part right, I'd say.
My grandparents own a mountain in North Carolina, and the approach to the summit is covered by rhodies. Climbing to the top with my grandfather a few years ago, we had to crawl on hands and knees for at least a hundred yards to get through one particular laurel hell.
Charley
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 25th, 2009, 2:11 pm

Nice circuit, Paul! Pablo's Way looks like a great spot for a new trail connection... I'm taking notes for TKO dream projects. One spot that I've had on my list to bushwhack in this area is the (apparently) open ridge top just north of Sheepshead Rock, where the Plaza Trail curves west, and below the ridge crest, then traverses around the north side of this little crest. The GoogleEarth view form the summit is promising.

Tom