Paradise Creek Tributary Falls

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Koda

Paradise Creek Tributary Falls

Post by Koda » June 20th, 2009, 10:28 pm

I thought it would be interesting to check out this tributary canyon of Paradise creek. Topo map showed quite a drop in elevation as the creek entered the canyon. Turned out to be an easy find, but navigating around the falls to check them out involved some steep terrain and navigating around some small cliff sections. I dont know how to estimate elevation of falls accurately, but there are 2 sections to this falls loosing about 300 vert total. the first and upper section is like a steep slide, rather than a vertical drop that lost about 200 vert befor hitting a small bench befor dropping into the second section. Navigating some steep rocks/cliff we made it around for a good view of the lower falls, a good spot for lunch at the bottom. Does anyone know the name of this falls?
Attachments
IMG_1893.JPG
we finally made it to the bottom of the falls where I was able to take this photo
IMG_1888.JPG
Falls 1.jpg
the first section ends just above the entrace to this section, the lower part of the falls. I took this one as we worked our way into the steep canyon to get to the bottom of this....
IMG_1857.JPG
looking straight up the first section
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

fallguy

Re: Paradise Creek Tributary Falls

Post by fallguy » June 21st, 2009, 9:57 am

Awsome shots! Your technique and skill with that camera are getting better with every shot. I have searched around on the net and the falls do not seem to have an official name that I could find. I feel we are very fortunate to have all the shared discoveries of the waterfall gurus on this forum as it has kept me busy for countless weekends. It is nice to see that there are still some out there to be discovered.

pablo

Post by pablo » June 21st, 2009, 11:11 am

Very nice. I'm unfamiliar with this creek, must be the Paradise Creek north of Gov. Mineral Springs near Trapper Creek Wilderness. [edit] Here's a map with a red flag where I guess the falls would be:

Last edited by pablo on June 21st, 2009, 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Sore Feet

Post by Sore Feet » June 21st, 2009, 12:48 pm

Outstanding! I've been eyeballing that spot for a long time now, great to get confirmation on what I've suspected for ages. It looks to be a rather unique waterfall too - the 'plunge into a sliding horsetail' configuration isn't something commonly seen in the Northwest, let alone in that part of washington where volcanic bedrock is predominant. To answer your question, no the falls are not named, so in my book, you get first stab at it being as you're the first to provide good documentation on it.

Pablo, this is on the unnamed stream, though I'm pretty sure there's something substantial on Proverbial Creek as well.

Koda

Post by Koda » June 22nd, 2009, 12:17 am

I thought I would post some better photos of the upper slide section, the part above the main falls photos I posted earlier. Although I enjoyed the view of the main falls where it plunged vertically better, the upper slide section is much larger and dominated the landscape.
Bryan I'm flattered and honored you consider me the opportunity to actually name these falls in your book, I didnt think this post would get much attention compared to some of the others on here, but this has turned out to be a fun outlet reporting on my exploring adventures. After all these years of enjoying the outdoors, I never thought I would have the impact of naming anything.... when I think of a name, I'll PM you personally :)

Pablo: Yes, your flag marks the spot exactly...
Attachments
IMG_1858.JPG
this is the bottom of the long steep slide. to the right downstream, it where it plunges over for the lower falls I posted photos of already
IMG_1852.JPG
this is where the slide begins its steeper plunge
IMG_1849.JPG
this is right at the top of the slide where it all begins. From where im standing with the camera, the creek takes a right turn downstream where the steepness increases dramatically
IMG_1846.JPG
looking down the slide
IMG_1845.JPG

Sore Feet

Post by Sore Feet » June 22nd, 2009, 12:43 pm

Koda wrote:Bryan I'm flattered and honored you consider me the opportunity to actually name these falls in your book,...
Well, that may be the case, but "in my book" was just an expression in this case (ie "as far as I'm concerned"). My actual book(s) are still many years off (I will put it on the website though). I've always thought that first one to properly bag a waterfall should get naming rights though, and that's a tradition we've sort of established here for a couple years now, so first rights of refusal are all yours.

Koda

Post by Koda » June 22nd, 2009, 3:08 pm

oh yes. my assumptions got the best of me. Still, it is fun to have posted the first of a find.

aywolfpac

Post by aywolfpac » June 23rd, 2009, 8:58 am

That's definitely a really unique looking waterfall. I really like it. Good work.

Koda

Post by Koda » June 25th, 2009, 12:15 pm

Necktie Falls.

Had some freetime today during lunch and looked back at the pictures I posted. Staring at IMG_1888 I posted it came to me.... the thing looks like a necktie!

there is is folks... "Necktie Falls". Maybe I'll get lucky and make it in a history book as the discoverer of Necktie Falls... ahem :roll:

aywolfpac

Post by aywolfpac » June 25th, 2009, 4:37 pm

Koda wrote:Necktie Falls.

Had some freetime today during lunch and looked back at the pictures I posted. Staring at IMG_1888 I posted it came to me.... the thing looks like a necktie!

there is is folks... "Necktie Falls". Maybe I'll get lucky and make it in a history book as the discoverer of Necktie Falls... ahem :roll:
Works for me. I'd say it's a perfect name.