Anyone completed Mt. Adams Round-the-Mountain xc section?

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
lisina

Anyone completed Mt. Adams Round-the-Mountain xc section?

Post by lisina » August 29th, 2016, 8:14 am

Hi folks,
I'm doing some research on completing the full Round-the-Mountain trail, including the trail-less section on the east side, in the coming weeks. For the cross-country section, I've seen references to a high route and low route. From what little I've been able to find on the high route, it may involve some glacier travel. I've seen very little on a low route other than second and third hand accounts of very difficult stream crossings. Most of the accounts I've seen are 8+ years old.

Has anyone done this more recently and can share a little info? I'm wondering if the high route would require glacier travel skills and gear and if the crossings on the low route would really be that challenging in September. Any info on any aspects of the cross country part of the route would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

retired jerry

Re: Anyone completed Mt. Adams Round-the-Mountain xc section

Post by retired jerry » August 29th, 2016, 9:08 am

google "adams round mountain site:oregonhikers.org"

for example viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2458&start=0
or viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16833

scrambler2

Re: Anyone completed Mt. Adams Round-the-Mountain xc section

Post by scrambler2 » August 29th, 2016, 10:26 am

In pretty sure its closed. Anyways, its pretty easy to figure out the trailless section. Sunrise camp below the Mazama Glacier - Klickitat Glacier - cross the Big Muddy - Avalanche Valley.
PCT class of 2012