An Icy Harphan Creek

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Owl-Eyes

An Icy Harphan Creek

Post by Owl-Eyes » November 29th, 2015, 3:57 pm

Hello all!

Drove up to check out Harphan Creek Falls on Harphan Creek.

We took the Wyeth exit and turned right on Herman Creek Rd. Quickly there was a rough road with a gate and a sign across it on the left, just before Wyeth campground. We parked there. Following the road less than 1/4 mile we intersected Harphan Creek. The temperature was 27 degrees and there was lots of ice around the creek; all of the rocks were slick. We crossed the creek a bunch of times. For the most part either side of the creek was easy travelling and not difficult. We followed the creek up about 1/2 of a mile until we reached the falls. It was a little harder making our way up to the base, but that was mainly the ice and probably would've been a piece of cake otherwise.
Offtrail33.jpg
Lowest tier of Harphan Creek Falls.
Offtrail34.jpg
Base of Harphan Creek Falls.
To get above the bottom tier we made our way up the steep slope on the East. There was a big, fallen tree that we used, as the ground was very loose. Reaching two standing trees we cut back over to the creek, the middle tier in sight.
Offtrail35.jpg
Middle tier of Harphan Creek Falls.
Offtrail36.jpg
Middle tier of Harphan Creek Falls.
Making our way down, we crossed to the opposite bank, scrambling up a short ways to see the upper tier of Harphan Creek Falls.
Offtrail37.jpg
Middle and upper tiers of Harphan Creek Falls.
Offtrail38.jpg
Upper tier of Harphan Creek Falls.
Beyond the FR, up the creek, the only sign of human existence was a single piece of flagging tape on the ground, which was nice. Most of these offtrail falls seem littered and trashed, but this falls was clean of garbage. This is a great example of a falls that only looks decent in the photos and needs to be seen in person to be appreciated, but let's try to keep it clean too.

Owl-Eyes

greenjello85

Re: An Icy Harphan Creek

Post by greenjello85 » December 3rd, 2015, 9:15 pm

I don't even know where a lot of these falls you go to are but I always enjoy seeing the photos :) Thanks for sharing.
Dan

Owl-Eyes

Post by Owl-Eyes » December 4th, 2015, 11:42 am

Thank you!
Almost all of my hikes and waterfalls that I visit are in the Columbia Gorge from Latourell Falls to Hood River, with occasional trips to the Washington side. This falls here is near the Wyeth Campground. The trailhead for Gorton Creek Falls is also at that campground.

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » December 4th, 2015, 4:19 pm

Very cool Owl-eyes! 8-) This is one of those creeks that I just haven't got around to yet. Thanks for sharing :)
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group