Fall Creek Falls: beauty and regret

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
AaronPDX

Fall Creek Falls: beauty and regret

Post by AaronPDX » August 1st, 2015, 10:28 am

Beauty: the creek and falls are lovely
Regret: the clearcut surrounding this riparian jewel is a depressing picture of our cultural priorities

Thanks to Brian Edwards et al for introducing me to this place on the north fork of the Clackamas River:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14205&start=0
https://sites.google.com/site/clackamas ... amas-river

I went yesterday to be in water and escape the heat, and the water did not disappoint. The lack of trails did, but that was expected. The overall atmosphere, before being at water level, was troubling. It's in the middle of a clearcut and the riparian area's protected, but just barely.

I parked just near the gate on SE Tumala Mtn Rd (the curve at top right of this satellite pic):
Fall Creek map.png
…and then walked south down the logging road >1000 feet. There are a couple options for side roads; I ended up passing and then backtracking to one on the west side with boulders blocking its entrance. I believe it's the one on the map heading SW. I recommend long pants this time of year only because my socks got all kinds of little prickly grass seed spires stuck in them, which was uncomfortable.

At the west end of this road, a mess of apocalyptic clearcut debris, the land laid waste, so I headed downhill through loose, sorry pseudo-soil to the trees. I then bushwhacked down to the creek. There were fairly obvious steps where others had done the same, but I wouldn't call it a trail. (There is a sort of trail paralleling the creek halfway up or so, which is extremely awkward to travel due to the alders (?) criss-crossing it all over the place, one's pack catching on them as one ducks, and the limbs snapping back in one's face... One tires of this quickly.)

Once at the creek: lovely! I dropped in just to the west of the large falls.
Small falls smaller.jpg
I spent my time between 2 falls: the smaller one to the west, and the large one to the east. With 90+ degree weather, walking in the water is the way to go, although some rocks are quite slippery.

Spotted: crayfish (moved by quick; I couldn't tell if it was alive or dead), frogs, and of course water skeeters, dragonflies, and a few pesky flies. And later, on the logging road above, along a trickle of water, a dead salamander. :|

Reader challenge: What kind of frogs are these?
2 frogs smaller.jpg
The falls did not disappoint. The larger is more exposed to the light and heat so I spent less time there, but it's got the drama factor. There's a small falls midway between the 2 as well, which was just perfect to lean against and get a summer shower. With a pedestal rock perfectly placed to stand on. (Sorry, no pic!)

I'll post a couple falls videos if someone tells me the simplest way to do that.

The return bushwhack was a pain as I foolishly wore shorts and got all scratched up. But by following the pseudo-trail I did come up to a lower decommissioned road just above the creek, which leads east to the broken up former bridge that Brian described in his 2012 report. Although tempting, traversing the creek from this point looked a little daunting to me so I called it a day and backtracked west to the larger logging road and then east again, and out. Car still there, tires still inflated, no bullet holes through the windows, so a good day!
Attachments
2 frogs smaller.jpg

vibramhead

Re: Fall Creek Falls: beauty and regret

Post by vibramhead » August 1st, 2015, 11:18 am

AaronPDX wrote: Reader challenge: What kind of frogs are these?
I'm not a frog expert, but it looks like those might be Oregon spotted frogs, which were recently listed as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

AaronPDX

Post by AaronPDX » August 2nd, 2015, 11:10 am

Hi Vibram,

Interesting... The markings don't quite match up as the spotted frogs look quite a bit more... spotty. But, it doesn't match any of the other native frogs shown here:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/conservation ... /frogs.asp

So... who knows? If it were endangered I wonder if that could pose a challenge to the timber tract, which as of 2012 was owned by Longview/Weyerhauser.

forester

Post by forester » August 5th, 2015, 2:19 pm

The brown one looks like a Pacific Tree Frog. I found one very similar a couple years ago.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 2J1OGh1Zms

I did a bit of looking around and that was the best I could come up with. I think the markings, specifically on the brown ones, can vary quite a bit.

AaronPDX

Post by AaronPDX » August 5th, 2015, 8:42 pm

Nice photo there, Forester!

Aaron

forester

Post by forester » August 11th, 2015, 5:41 am

Thanks!

dmerchant

Post by dmerchant » August 17th, 2015, 10:21 am

The tragedy of clear-cutting is beyond human comprehension. The fact that it's legal is shocking. The only thing I can do to alleviate the pain is support organizations such as Oregon Wild that work in the name of keeping our forests and streams alive!

Thank you for sharing...

AaronPDX

Post by AaronPDX » July 6th, 2016, 8:51 pm

@dmerchant:
Just saw your reply. Thank you for supporting good organizations. :)

AaronPDX

Post by AaronPDX » June 20th, 2018, 9:22 am

FYI, tried going back here yesterday. Weyerhauser has the access road from the NF road gated off with a clear sign saying NO TRESPASSING. Sad. If anyone knows a way in, please post it here!