Kloster Lakes - June 6, 2015

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
pablo

Kloster Lakes - June 6, 2015

Post by pablo » June 7th, 2015, 4:16 pm

Well, what else would you call the lakes at the headwaters of Splintercat Creek? At any rate, I visited 2 of the 3 lakes found in the basin forming the headwaters of Splintercat Creek in the Roaring River Wilderness. While none of the three appeared as large and deep as Shining Lake to the west the two lower lakes looked substantial enough to warrant a visit. The approach would be from the east coming off a spur ridge from Indian Ridge - let's call it Splintercat Spur - going out to the end for what looked like in Google Earth some nice looks at the Roaring River drainage and some Cascade volcanoes. At the northern end I'd drop down and visit each of the 3 lakes to exit on the ridge forming the eastern boundary of Shining Lake.

The hard part about any visit to this area is negotiating Frazier Mtn Road - few potholes, never steep, just very rocky - and not little rocks, boulder sized tire eaters. Leave your lowered sedan at home. I had scoped out parking on the 160 spur road just south of Frazier Fork Campground to bushwhack up the hill rather than drive Frazier Mtn Rd - would have been faster and less wear and tear on the vehicle - next time I will do this.

Indian Ridge Road is now part of the Roaring River Wilderness - I thought roads got excluded but I guess this is a trail now. The first time I visited Shining Lake just after the wilderness designation stubborn ATVers had by-passed the berms, pits and rocks to go out Indian Ridge anyway - this trip I saw no evidence that ATVers have continued their evil ways. There was one other vehicle at the trail head likely off camping at Shining Lake.

The lonely wilderness sign up box, no tags, no pencils, no reason, very sad.

I trudged out Indian Ridge Rd now called the Shining Lake Trail and hopped on Splintercat Spur accompanied by lots of Bear Grass blooms and Rhodies.

Getting to an open spot I caught a look at the largest of the 3 lakes the other 2 hidden from view.

Going north on the spur the way was clear 'cepting for the occasional wall of semi-permeable rhodie patches. About 1/2-way out was a rise the afforded some great views.

South to Jeff

North to the big 4

From the 1/2 way point on the ridge was fairly open composed of bear grass meadow and rock piles. I continued to a big boulder field at the end of the spur for some more great views and closeups of the old growth on the banks of the Roaring River and peaks in the Salmon-Huck Wilderness.

The Roaring River drainage with a band of old growth cutting across the upper third of this photo. To the left of Hood is Salmon Butte and its volcanic plug, Green Knob.

Here is a closer look at the big trees on the banks of the Roaring River.

From there I dove off the ridge to visit the larger of the 3 lakes. The canopy was dense so rhodies were not much of a problem in the understory until I neared the lake. After battling rhodies I broke through the underbrush and was treated to the tranquil lake. I did not see an outlet so it must drain through permeable layers. The lack of snow this year has no doubt affected the level of this lake.

Lower lake pano:

I saw no evidence of human activity, no bugs bothered me, quite peaceful. Salamanders swam slowly in the green waters and a bunch of baby ducks wandered around the lake munching on flies. There is an isthmus dividing the lake and with the water level low I was able to cross. There is a third isolated section.

Mama duck was no where to be found, a mystery, out foraging?

Upper piece of lake.

A solitary elk had recently circled the lake in the same direction as I did.

I made my way in the direction of the upper lake but was turned back by wall after wall of dense rhodies. I adjusted my plan and skipped this one to go for the middle lake and the comfort of the boulders on its west bank.

I made it to the middle lake nicely nested against the rocks where I stopped to soak in the views.

I turned up the hill and stair-stepped my way up the boulder field to gain the ridge. Once on the ridge I ran into some fresh flagging, an explorer testing the ridge? I landed on Indian Ridge Rd and headed for home.

I'm calling it 8.5 miles with 1700' elevation gain. Doesn't seem like much but bushwhacking the rhodies was exhausting and I was plenty tired once back at the campground. Not sure I'll do it again.

Last edited by pablo on June 8th, 2015, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

greenjello85

Re: Kloster Lakes - June 6, 2015

Post by greenjello85 » June 7th, 2015, 7:54 pm

Neat trip Pablo! That old growth looks intriguing. I wish there was a trail along roaring river. Have you ever explored along roaring river?
Dan

pablo

Post by pablo » June 7th, 2015, 8:29 pm

greenjello85 wrote:Neat trip Pablo! That old growth looks intriguing. I wish there was a trail along roaring river. Have you ever explored along roaring river?
Dan
Older maps have trail marked from the confluence of Plaza Creek up the RR to Hambone Springs so there may have been a way trail through there at one time. There have been a couple of TRs from folks who have dropped down to the river from Hambone Springs - this is likely the easiest way there. I tried to retrace the old trail starting from near the confluence of Plaza Creek but did not find anything in the way of discernible trail and bailed out about 1/2-way to Hambone Springs due to the number and size of downed trees. Hambone Springs would be my choice to start were I to try it again.

--Paul

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » June 8th, 2015, 1:17 pm

pablo wrote:
greenjello85 wrote:Neat trip Pablo! That old growth looks intriguing. I wish there was a trail along roaring river. Have you ever explored along roaring river?
Dan
Older maps have trail marked from the confluence of Plaza Creek up the RR to Hambone Springs so there may have been a way trail through there at one time. There have been a couple of TRs from folks who have dropped down to the river from Hambone Springs - this is likely the easiest way there. I tried to retrace the old trail starting from near the confluence of Plaza Creek but did not find anything in the way of discernible trail and bailed out about 1/2-way to Hambone Springs due to the number and size of downed trees. Hambone Springs would be my choice to start were I to try it again.
Paul, I'm assuming you are referring to the 508/509 trails? You've been as close as anyone I know, and all the reports I've heard are similar to yours - no discernible tread, and LOTS of BIG, downed trees making travel tough. It is a shame the Roaring River area does not have more/better trails. For a true wilderness area, it really should have more.

Some day I might be talked into doing that trip from Hambone. I've had on my todo list for a while heading down from 4610 (farther up), but Hambone might be a good place to jump off from.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 8th, 2015, 2:06 pm

Thanks, Paul - lovely lakes! I've always wondered about those -- they're more substantial and less marshy than I would have expected.

According to Donovan, much of that area was replanted by CCC crews (and others) in the 1930s. Did you notice a monoculture of Douglas fir? I've only been to The Signals, Shining Lake and the Indian Ridge lookout site, but it looked like a reasonable mix of conifers to me from the various viewpoint along the way.

Thanks for posting!

Tom :)

Koda

Post by Koda » June 8th, 2015, 3:24 pm

excellent hike Pablo, I was just there Sunday... the rhodies are brutal. Im curious about the old growth along the river, was the rest of the area logged before it was designated wilderness?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

pablo

Post by pablo » June 8th, 2015, 3:31 pm

RobFromRedland wrote:[...]

Paul, I'm assuming you are referring to the 508/509 trails? You've been as close as anyone I know, and all the reports I've heard are similar to yours - no discernible tread, and LOTS of BIG, downed trees making travel tough. It is a shame the Roaring River area does not have more/better trails. For a true wilderness area, it really should have more.

Some day I might be talked into doing that trip from Hambone. I've had on my todo list for a while heading down from 4610 (farther up), but Hambone might be a good place to jump off from.
Yes. Like you, my list also has a trip down from Hambone Springs and heading down stream maybe exit on the 508 if I make it that far.

pablo

Post by pablo » June 8th, 2015, 3:43 pm

Koda wrote:excellent hike Pablo, I was just there Sunday... the rhodies are brutal. Im curious about the old growth along the river, was the rest of the area logged before it was designated wilderness?
Thx,

No, the small trees you see there are the result of 100 years of fire suppression. If you look at old lookout photos from Frazier Mtn or Signal Buttes the place is a rocky barren wasteland. No trees to log.

Look at this lookout pano showing Indian Ridge in the 30s. Courtesy TrailAdvocates.

pablo

Post by pablo » June 8th, 2015, 3:52 pm

Splintercat wrote:Thanks, Paul - lovely lakes! I've always wondered about those -- they're more substantial and less marshy than I would have expected.

According to Donovan, much of that area was replanted by CCC crews (and others) in the 1930s. Did you notice a monoculture of Douglas fir? I've only been to The Signals, Shining Lake and the Indian Ridge lookout site, but it looked like a reasonable mix of conifers to me from the various viewpoint along the way.

Thanks for posting!

Hey Tom,

I agree with you - I experienced a mixed forest, besides Doug Fir, 2 pines -> Western White and some 3 needled thing (lodgepole?), Noble Fir. Not something I would have said was planted. I've always assumed it was fire suppression that brought the trees back in the area north of Indian Ridge.

--Paul

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 8th, 2015, 4:00 pm

I think that's right, Paul, though the CCC camp at High Rock did (apparently) replant some large burn areas. I'm fairly certain that the upper Roaring River was burned as an extension of the Sherar Burn that extended east toward Mud Creek, and also included the Salmon Mountain complex.

I'd offer a slightly version on what was there after the fire, though -- and maybe this is my romanticized view -- but I think of it as an enormous huckleberry and beargrass landscape, with wildflower meadows ala Silver Star Mountain (which never fully recovered, despite similar efforts to replant) that might have persisted for many decades (or centuries) had it not been planted with conifer seedlings. I actually think the natural progression in our subalpine forests once included a lot of terrain that was in recovery mode for decades or longer, as opposed to the blanket of forests that we're encouraging now.

Hope that wasn't too soapbox-ish… or a threat drift! :D

BTW, before the 2009 wilderness bill was signed into law, I rode my bike down Frazier Turnaround Road from High Rock Jct., and then down to Indian Point -- fun! Can't do that now, of course.