Devil's Rest Direct, Feb 21, 2015

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
pablo

Devil's Rest Direct, Feb 21, 2015

Post by pablo » February 22nd, 2015, 12:32 pm

This report is the culmination of a winter-long project to locate the shortest non-technical route to Devils Rest as suggested by DOGAMI LIDAR. Took 4 tries but I was able to navigate a gully reached from the 1st switchback on Wahkeena Trail. The crux is a bit of exposed 3rd class scrambling up a small ridgelet to route around a slide falls on a seasonal creek. I took along an ice ax for protection and used it frequently. The route is fairly brush free but steep with loose rock.

I came out of the gully to land on the trail to Angels Rest then took Primrose for the finish.

Photos are from a mix of the 4 visits to this route. My GoPro switched off on this latest visit so I did not get much coverage of the interesting parts.

Getting started just off the switchback jump-off point on Wahkeena.

There is a ledge about half-way up between two cliff bands that affords a nice view upstream.

A screenshot of a frame from GoPro footage showing the gully.

The route around the seasonal water slide is up this ridgelet on the right - I'm calling it the crux. The gully straight ahead is a deadend. There is some exposure on the ridgelet but trees and brush and use of an ice ax provided sufficient protection.

Looking back on the gully - that u-shaped tree looks like it had blaze on it so I figure this route is known.

The way out is pretty steep.

There is a long ridge forming the east side of the gully that leads to a nice overlook.

I intersected the trail to Angel's Rest and got on the much improved Primrose trail for the finish. The return was on regular trail. I'm calling it 6 miles and 2500' EG.

GPS didn't work very well in the gully what with big walls on either side. The section in blue is the offtrail gully segment.

Same thing but with GPS track overlaid on DOGAMI LIDAR.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Bosterson

Re: Devil's Rest Direct, Feb 21, 2015

Post by Bosterson » February 22nd, 2015, 12:38 pm

pablo wrote: Looking back on the gully - that u-shaped tree looks like it had blaze on it so I figure this route is known.

I would guess that's not a blaze, but rather evidence of a rock impact that ripped off some bark. Not many blazes in offtrail gullies. ;)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Peder

Post by Peder » February 23rd, 2015, 7:16 am

Very interesting project; you will get an A+ for perseverance! Interesting that you can find a (non-climbing) way up through that steep and complex terrain! I second Nat on guessing that it is rock impact on the tree, especially if the scar is facing uphill.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

CraigG

Post by CraigG » April 17th, 2015, 6:38 pm

Greetings Pablo -

I hope you are well. I happened to head up "Devil's Rest Direct" today and found a GoPro battery accessory just above the crux, in the gully between Wahkeena and Mist Falls. Could it be yours, or does Lucifer now use a GoPro before resting?

pablo

Post by pablo » April 17th, 2015, 7:40 pm

CraigG wrote:Greetings Pablo -

I hope you are well. I happened to head up "Devil's Rest Direct" today and found a GoPro battery accessory just above the crux, in the gully between Wahkeena and Mist Falls. Could it be yours, or does Lucifer now use a GoPro before resting?
Hey CraigG,

Yes, I did lose a battery above the crux on the way out - I was switching out batteries and inadvertently left that one behind. Usually something that small is gone forever. I've since replaced it and I'm not sure it is worth returning - could you find it a good home for me? And thanks for hauling it out - I do try to not leave a trace but my record in this regard could use some improvement.

Thx,

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

CraigG

Post by CraigG » April 17th, 2015, 8:25 pm

pablo wrote:
CraigG wrote:Greetings Pablo -

Hey CraigG,

Yes, I did lose a battery above the crux on the way out - I was switching out batteries and inadvertently left that one behind. Usually something that small is gone forever. I've since replaced it and I'm not sure it is worth returning - could you find it a good home for me? And thanks for hauling it out - I do try to not leave a trace but my record in this regard could use some improvement.

Thx,

--Paul
Greetings Pablo -

Thanks for the reply. I shall recycle it - no problem at all. Thank you for the investigative work as well as providing the description for this route. It made my day!

I had somebody ask me at Wahkeena TH why I had an ice axe when starting the hike. They said, "Why do have an axe? You won't need an ice axe for this trail." My reply, "Who said I was going to be on trail?" ;)

-CraigG