Recovery operation in Bridal Veil Creek

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
R11

Re: Recovery operation in Bridal Veil Creek

Post by R11 » January 16th, 2015, 11:43 am

Crazy! I often go down to Oaks Bottom over the weekend to stretch my legs and one day last spring/early summer as I was walking around the back side edge of the lake on the trail right along the bottom of the bluff I came up to one of the several raised walkway sections that had been blocked off with yellow caution tape. The walkway which is very heavy duty and substantial was all twisted and broken up like it had been through an huge earthquake! Of course I proceeded under the tape and scrambled over the slanted up and down bridge sections to continue on with the hike but I wondered what the heck had happened, thinking that possibly someone had attempted to sabotage it or something?

On the way back through I stopped to check it out more thoroughly and noticed small bits of plastic/trim from a vehicle scattered about the area and realized it had been a car that came down the bluff and took out the walkway. It's a fairly smooth/even slope but probably somewhere around 65 degrees and maybe 60 yards or so to the top. It had to have been just bounding down the hill and must have been a huge impact when it hit and probably flipped over the walkway. Would have been cool to see it winched back out like you were able to, (or even cooler to have seen it come down :)) . I searched the net for any articles/mentions about a crash in the area when I got home but never found anything so figured it was likely a stolen car dump as well. They already had the bridge/walkway repaired the next time I went down there a week or two later and you wouldn't even know it had been bashed up if not for the few small bits of metal and plastic here and there. You can still see some of the young maple trees on the slope that are now bent back up the hill from when they extracted the vehicle though.

ron

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » January 16th, 2015, 12:01 pm

WOW, what an operation! Thanks for posting!

Owl-Eyes

Post by Owl-Eyes » January 17th, 2015, 3:39 pm

Nice report! Always happy to see the Gorge being cleaned up :)

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 20th, 2015, 9:36 am

Thanks for posting these here, Don -- such a cool project! Bravo! I'm going to send a link to staff at Multnomah County who maintain the road, itself, as a simple guardrail in this particular section might be the long-term solution. I'm also thinking a guardrail installation could include funding for the remaining vehicles to be pull out, too... I'll keep you posted.

Tom :-)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 20th, 2015, 9:47 am

Thanks, everyone, for your comments and encouragement on this project.

Tom, I agree that a guardrail would be a good solution. If that were done at just the two steepest sections of the slope, I'm pretty sure it would stop nearly all the dumping. Thanks so much for helping with this!

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 20th, 2015, 9:49 pm

Just sent it off today, Don -- I'll post something here if I get any nibbles..!

Tom :)

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » January 21st, 2015, 2:31 pm

Don, I love your abandoned car adventures. This was really neat to see the recovery of that car from way down there. Thanks for sharing :)
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group