Epiphany falls and the magic staircase

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
chameleon

Epiphany falls and the magic staircase

Post by chameleon » April 28th, 2009, 7:19 am

Yesterday I decided to make a quick trip up to the unknown, unmapped waterfall I found on upper Ruckel creek this past winter. I've been yearning to see what it looked like once the snow and ice had disappeared.

Rain clouds rolled overhead as I headed up the trail, with light drizzle coating me on and off. Fairy slippers, one of my favorite gorge flowers, which resemble little court jesters with gaping watermelon mouths, lined the trail amidst the deep greens and yellows of ferns and Oregon grape. The upper trail, crossing the hanging meadows had a very rugged air to it today, with snow capping the rim leading up to Tanner butte on the other side of Eagle creek's chasm.

The falls was beautiful today, and I've thought of a name for it - Epiphany falls. It has a positive encouraging feel, as does the name. It provided me a great respite and enriched my life today the way an epiphany can, and the name seems to roll of the tongue. Here are a couple photos of my now favorite Ruckel Creek waterfall...
epiphany falls.jpg
Epiphany falls 2.jpg
Just below Epiphany is another remarkable water feature, a thirty foot slide that resembles an intricate staircase (of tiny stairs), coated with flowing white...
magic staircase.jpg
Pictures don't really do it justice though. It is one of those things that you have to be there, feel the moss beneath you, and hear the roar to appreciate. Here is a photo of the top section.
magic staircase top.jpg
It really is a remarkable place, and gracefully forgotten, and proved very inspirational to me today.
-Zach

pyles_94

Re: Epiphany falls and the magic staircase

Post by pyles_94 » April 28th, 2009, 3:47 pm

sweet!! how far up the ruckel trail is it to where you descend? looks like quite a beauty! did you get any shots from right above the small cascade in the bottom of the first shot? that second shot is my favorite. I like the name. i think it'll stick.
Jamey Pyles

chameleon

Post by chameleon » April 28th, 2009, 7:27 pm

Here are a few of the scenes I mentioned along the way, including the watermelon-mouthed jesters...
fairy slipper ruckel crk 1.jpg
from ruckel crk trail.jpg
yellow flower on ruckel.jpg
yellow flower on ruckel 2.jpg
4 fairy slippers.jpg
-Zach

jaimito

Post by jaimito » May 20th, 2009, 7:33 pm

Great shots Zach… Love those fairy slippers, I was @ Salmon River last weekend and they were everywhere… very cool.

Jamie

chameleon

Post by chameleon » May 20th, 2009, 8:39 pm

Yeah Jamie, they are by far my favorite gorge flower. They look like something out of a european fairy tale or something, rather than a wildflower. Incredible little things - made even cooler since you only get to see them once/year.

BTW - Great report on Star Creek. I might have to head up there soon...perhaps make $100 in the process by gathering Don's camera for him. Looks like it'll be a few weeks before the snow melts and colors improve there though.

-Zach

rasone

Post by rasone » May 21st, 2009, 2:07 pm

Heya Zack,

I was just wondering if I could possibly tag along with you if you head back to this falls. I have been to the lower falls, but not this one..

Thanks,

--jesse

greglief

Post by greglief » May 21st, 2009, 3:18 pm

Beautiful photos, Zach!

Greg

chameleon

Post by chameleon » May 21st, 2009, 7:22 pm

Hey Greg and Jesse,
Yeah we can plan a trip up to Epiphany. A while back I had the idea of doing a canyoneering workshop of sorts on Ruckel. Ruckel is really great stream to practice canyon ropework because of it's various waterfalls. From small and straight-forward, to tall and free-falling, straight through a water flow, Ruckel provides great practice. Couple that with the Ruckel Creek trail that provides easy access to the stream at various spots, and you have an awesome training stream. Plus...the falls are stunning. That never hurts.
So, are you guys up for a complete descent? Or just Epiphany. I'll pm you guys instructions on how to get just to that one. It's pretty easy.
-Zach