Double waterfall on Dog Creek

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
chameleon

Double waterfall on Dog Creek

Post by chameleon » April 20th, 2009, 8:05 pm

I had a relaxing, warm and very fun trip exploring a bit more of dog mountain and creek during the past two days. I had a number of neat finds along the way, including an owl - that I'll need some help ID'ing - it was either a Northern Spotted Owl (which would be cool) or a Barred Owl (not so cool). I have a couple of crappy pics of it that I'll post later, along with a number of neat wildflower shots - the flowers are coming out in force on Dog!! Anyway, here is a pic to get started - of the hidden gem on Dog creek - a double waterfall, where the two main branches of Dog join in spectacular fashion. I've heard this waterfall bears the name "Elkhorn falls" - why I don't know...given there aren't many elk there...and they don't have horns anyway, they have antlers.

Anyway, the waterfall truly is a hidden wonder. The spray (at least at this time of year) is the heaviest I've witnessed in the Gorge. Your photographic options are severely limited at this time - probably gets much better late summer. Also thanks to the spray from two falls, the amphitheater has the deepest moss I've ever seen. The area below the falls is extremely sensitive for that reason though - the foot-deep moss almost melts off the rock when you walk on it. If there ever is a trail to it, I hope they block off the incredible bottom area. On the Pacific northwest canyoneering sight, the person who wrote the dog creek description said that the top and bottom waterfalls on Dog were @ the same size....I'm now wondering if he ever really got to this falls. It is easily twice the height of Dog falls....easily! Anyway, enough words, here's a pic.
top dog waterfall.jpg
I'll post more pics, including the owl a bit later.
-Zach

anna in boots

Re: Double waterfall on Dog Creek

Post by anna in boots » April 20th, 2009, 8:21 pm

Hey! Easy on the Barred Owls, they are cutie pies, one of my favorite feathered friends! Their sweet voices also recite poetry; you can tell it's a Barred from the cadence of their call, which goes "Who cooks for you? Who cooks for you?"

pretty face: http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?genus= ... cies=varia
great pipes: http://home.centurytel.net/bobowlcalls/ ... _calls.htm (If you scroll down, the Spotted Owl is listed right after the Barred on this page.)

The smaller Spotted Owl sounds similar but lacks the poetry: http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?genus= ... cidentalis It also has a heart-shaped face whereas the Barred is more like a fluffy radar dish with eyes.

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

romann

Post by romann » April 20th, 2009, 8:37 pm

Beautiful waterfall pic. How long is off-trail walk to this double falls? I remember a parking spot near a creek a little east from Dog Mountain, but never stopped there.

chameleon

Post by chameleon » April 20th, 2009, 8:39 pm

Here's another shot of the falls.
top dog waterfall 2.jpg

chameleon

Post by chameleon » April 20th, 2009, 9:06 pm

Ok, here are the pics of the owl. They are terrible pics - but the best I could do with what I had under the circumstances. I've cropped these and zoomed in here. I think they should be good enough to get a positive ID...so Anna and others...what's the conclusion?
owl 1 dog creek.jpg
owl 2 dog.jpg
And Anna, it made a noise - yelling at me when I approached, but it was very un-owl-like. It seriously sounded like it was yelling or barking at me. Maybe a mating call or something? Far different than other owl noises I've heard. Perhaps it was just an owl cuss word...

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » April 21st, 2009, 6:59 am

zach thats a barred owl....

the reason i know is the vertical stripes on the chest/ front. spotted owls have spots that are almost arranged into horizontal lines.

that is such a cool waterfall. how do you get there?
Jamey Pyles

mandrake

Post by mandrake » April 21st, 2009, 9:03 am

Nice going Chameleon. Did you drop down from above?
The references I've seen call it Elkhorn Falls.

Sore Feet

Post by Sore Feet » April 21st, 2009, 2:45 pm

Come on man, route information! You can't just post a picture and bail. :shock:

chameleon

Post by chameleon » April 21st, 2009, 4:31 pm

Ok, ok... I explored reaching it from above on this venture. I was tempted to make a loop of it, as described on the pacific northwest canyoneering sight, but after driving the mile and a half between the dog mtn parking lot and dog creek, decided against it. There is no shoulder on one side and a train on the other. Not my idea of a safe trek to get back to my car.

So I explored most of the area between Dog mtn and Augsberger. I feel like I'm giving away hard-earned info here so...please put it to use! I don't know if vehicles are allowed in there, but if they were you could get within a half-mile of the falls by reaching the radio tower on the East side of Dog canyon and following a trail down a logged and later burned (wildfire) area down to the very top of it. Yep, there is a faint trail.

For hikers like myself, the easiest way is as follows. Park at Dog Mtn parking lot. Take the Augsberger trail, which after 3 and 1/2 miles leads to the power-line road. Follow the power-lines for a third of a mile toward Dog canyon. When you reach the canyon, the road ends. Gently scramble down to the stream directly below the power-lines overhead. Once you reach the stream, cross it. A deer path leads up the east side of the canyon into a vast burned area. This side of the canyon is very easy to travel. Simply traverse down-canyon staying within view/earshot of the stream below. You'll pass a tributary stream when you get within 1/5 of a mile from the falls. When you hit it, begin to genltly traverse down to the stream. Before you know it, you'll find yourself at the top of Elkhorn falls. At the top of the falls are cut stumps and I believe an old road lead down to it up the western drainage.

Now, to get down the falls, you can easily rappel. Or, the easiest option is to cross the stream, traverse down on a deer path on the western slope, take a chute down to the stream, and then walk upstream to the very base of the falls.

One warning - On my way in I made the mistake of trying to follow the western branch of Dog down from the saddle between Augsberger and Dog. While there does appear to have been a road down it at one time, you soon come into extremely dense foliage. It appears to have been logged fairly recently and thousands of tiny trees have sprung up, literally entangling everything! It is mind-bogglingly difficult at places, not to mention frustrating. I do not reccomend this route, though it appears the easiest way on the map.

My next adventure on Dog will be going up from the base, to Elkhorn and back. Can't wait. Anyway, Bryan and Mandrake...hope this info helps. Believe me, it was hard-earned. The falls is very simple if you go the way I describe, but very elusive and difficult if you don't!

-Zach
Last edited by chameleon on April 21st, 2009, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sore Feet

Post by Sore Feet » April 21st, 2009, 5:23 pm

Appreciate it Zach. Looks like something on the order of 9 1/2 miles round trip via your route, sound about right? Pretty waterfall for sure, I don't doubt its photogeniety at all, but to me that's a long walk for a relatively small payout. Definitely want to investigate the road from the east or the feasibility of coming up from below.