Double waterfall on Dog Creek

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
chameleon

Re: Double waterfall on Dog Creek

Post by chameleon » April 21st, 2009, 5:40 pm

Yeah, it might be on the order of 9 or 10 miles (difficult miles) round-trip. However, it is worth it. I've extensively tried to find another photo of this falls on-line and they just don't seem to exist. For any waterfall hunter this is something of a trophy on the order of Wahe falls. And the base of the falls is simply amazing. There are Wahclella-esque boulders, but covered with foot-deep moss and giant cedars lining the bank. The falls themselves are probably 60-70 feet. (Dog falls on the other hand I'd put at 25ft). The bottom of the falls is gorgeous, but drives you crazy because you can't capture it on film due to the spray. This is hands down the most beautiful waterfall I've found on the WA side of the Gorge, but easily the most difficult to photograph (this time of year leastways). In any case, if you get a shot and get back home safe with it, you have a waterfall hunter's "trophy." :) If you do get a truck up the Augsberger road, or easier yet the radio tower road, you could easily do this falls in a couple hours from either place....but where's the fun in that!
-Zach

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » April 23rd, 2009, 3:45 pm

sweet!! maybe on a trip to dawg mtn i should check that out....
Jamey Pyles

chameleon

Post by chameleon » April 23rd, 2009, 5:22 pm

Yeah, I think you'd love that falls Jamey. It's definately one of the most unique waterfalls in the Gorge...at least I don't know of any other place where two tributaries meet and fall at the same place in quite the same fashion as this one. It's certainly a more rewarding hike than fighting through the throngs of people to get to the top of Dog mtn right now... good luck if you give it a try!
-Zach

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 23rd, 2009, 5:51 pm

Nice work on this, Zach! such a great find - how many more hidden falls of such beauty are out there!?

Please be careful in your explorations on that side of the gorge. Just a couple of years ago the Skamania Co. drug team found something like 3,000 plants up there and some possibly armed "growers" tending their crop. (As a side note, they tried to descend the creek and got stranded and had to be rescued - here is a link:http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories ... 82259.html )

Obviously, you are not going to have any problems with navigation as did the deputies, but the growers may have guns and they don't want to be discovered and reported on! Anyone finding such operations, regardless of intent, will be in serious danger.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 23rd, 2009, 8:35 pm

Nice, Zach! The topo shows the falls on just the east fork, but you've described it as the two forks coming together, as waterfalls... is that right? If so, that's pretty cool, because it would likely cure one of the problems of segmented waterfalls: one branch drying up during low water. With two sources, this would probably persist as a segmented falls year-round. Cool!

I'm with Bryan - I like the cheater's route from above... :D

-Tom :)

chameleon

Post by chameleon » April 23rd, 2009, 9:35 pm

Don, wow that was a crazy story. I don't know if I'm more surprised that pot-growers were armed (I guess I always picture them as wimpy pacifist hippies) or at the stellar abilities of the mighty protagonists... I guess the moral is never to judge a book by its cover. :roll: In any case, interesting, sordid history on Dog!

Tom, yep, as usual the map is a bit off with the placement of the falls. It is exactly where they meet, combining at the bottom. Be sure to post a report if you get up there the "easy way." I looked more closely at the map, and it appears that there is a pretty good road right up to that radio facility - might be gaited at some point, but who knows. It'd be a really easy bushwhack if you get to there...possibly just a 15 minute or so hike down.

-Zach

greglief

Post by greglief » April 26th, 2009, 8:09 am

Hi Zach,

Thanks for posting the trip report and route info!

Greg