Mystery Bones At Wahe Falls

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Badknee

Mystery Bones At Wahe Falls

Post by Badknee » August 3rd, 2014, 9:22 pm

Went out to Moffet Creek Saturday morning to get up to Wahe Falls. I like the creek in the summer as rock hoping is easy. On the way in I noticed some fresh trees that have dropped into the creek. Also noticed a log I use in the winter to cross the creek was cracked by something.
image.jpg
image.jpg (48.22 KiB) Viewed 2849 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (47.51 KiB) Viewed 2849 times
With the low water, I made the first falls pretty quick. I decided to take in the view and enjoy having the place to myself. Luckily this place hasn't been overrun by the hoards.
image.jpg
image.jpg (37.15 KiB) Viewed 2849 times
I've read about the "chute" people have used to access the creek above the falls. I decided I had plenty of time to check it out and see what the fuss was about.
image.jpg
image.jpg (48.96 KiB) Viewed 2849 times
The slope is fairly loose and there is not much to grab onto. I made it to the head wall and found the chute. Doable? Yes. If I had to. On this day I didn't have to. I have my alternate route and this forum to thank for it. Research is always helpful. So I went back down the slope and headed back down the creek to my alternate route. All that being said, a slip in the wrong spot can still be painful or deadly.
Once I was back in the creek above the falls, there was more rock hoping to the knoll that encloses the upper portion of Wahe. I made the climb up the bank and walked right into these:
image.jpg
image.jpg (52.84 KiB) Viewed 2849 times
There was no skull or much of a spine. Not sure what it is. What got me the most was placement. Whatever it is didn't die there. It's not a complete skeleton. My guess is that someone put them there. They were at the one spot you have to walk through to get to the falls. To spook people? I almost didn't take a picture because my first thought was that someone put them there. In the end it didn't matter. Bones or no bones I really love Wahe. One of my favorites. The journey always gives me a great sense of accomplishment.
image.jpg
image.jpg (33.05 KiB) Viewed 2849 times
image.jpg
Go! Just Go right now! Go!

Lurch

Re: Mystery Bones At Wahe Falls

Post by Lurch » August 3rd, 2014, 10:39 pm

definitely deer

Badknee

Post by Badknee » August 4th, 2014, 12:48 pm

I agree Lurch. My questions are more along the lines of why there? Didn't die there as it is a partial skeleton with no skull. To me, a weird spot for a couger to drag a kill to. Boxed in with a lot of water drowning out the alerts animals use to hear what's going on around them. If it fell from above it wouldn't have landed there. I'm taking any and all theories on this one!
Go! Just Go right now! Go!

aywolfpac

Post by aywolfpac » August 6th, 2014, 6:40 am

Squatch

backcountryhunter

Post by backcountryhunter » August 7th, 2014, 2:54 pm

Coyotes, bears, ravens, crows, will scatter and drag off pieces of the carcass. The rest of the deer is probably around you just have to look for it could be up to 100 yards off or so.