Soda Forkin' and Some Other Waterfalls

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Loofus

Soda Forkin' and Some Other Waterfalls

Post by Loofus » May 7th, 2014, 12:25 pm

I’ve noticed lately that a number of tourism websites still claim that Salt Creek Falls is Oregon’s second highest waterfall. I don’t know why this bothers me, but it does. I don’t really have any animosity toward Salt Creek Falls; it is just a waterfall, and a nice one at that. Maybe it’s just a victim of the undue adulation it falsely receives as Oregon’s “second highest waterfall.” Nevertheless, I always feel obligated to knock it down a rung or two whenever the opportunity presents itself. I always suspected that a really big waterfall was to be found on the Soda Fork of the South Santiam River, but I always found an excuse to not go looking for it. A few pictures and videos of Soda Fork Falls floating around the ol’ interwebs got the fuel stoked, especially since nobody had made it to the base. It was time to end a seven-year hiatus from waterfall hunting.

Sheep Creek: Friday, May 2

Despite the fact that we set a Welter-esque “spookball-style” rendezvous (location and time: classified), Jeff and I still managed to find each other on Friday evening at Sheep Creek Road. Soon after, we were getting reacquainted with our adept ability to make things much more difficult than necessary. After parking just beyond a culvert crossing of Sheep Creek, we contemplated descending into the narrow, brush-lined canyon where travel would be limited to the creek itself. “You don’t have to walk IN the damn creek all the time, moron!” My internal dialogue is usually self-deprecating in order to keep my delusions of adequacy at bay. At that particular moment, it served to awaken a half-decayed common sense that should have been prodding me up onto the forested ridge above the canyon. Reluctantly, our adventurous spirit ceded to common sense. This was, after all, the warm up hike.

After a fifteen-minute descent through what seemed like the last trees in the drainage to remain untouched by a woodsman’s blade, I noticed a clearing ahead and in anticipation of a horizon line in the creek we were confronted with…another road. Slapped with the reality that we had needlessly walked through a quarter mile of deadfall, we opted to take the road as far as it paralleled the creek. Then, a short scramble down to the creek put us right above the horizon line of Sheep Creek Falls. We found the short game trail described in an earlier report and soon found ourselves on an exposed outcrop across from the tiered falls just as the rain clouds moved in. Jeff set up the survey equipment and began the measuring process while I feigned an understanding of basic photography principles. I tend to just act like I know what I’m doing with a camera and get lucky once in awhile. My best photographic efforts, however, fell short of the desired outcome while Jeff’s measurements of the falls proved that they are, indeed, much taller than they look: they measured out at 92 feet. We then noticed the obvious reason: careful observation shows that the three tiers are actually spaced farther apart than they actually appear, resulting in significant foreshortening.
IMG_6261.JPG
92-foot Sheep Creek Falls
We opted to take the newfound road on the walk back and debated exploring upstream, where I am convinced that more waterfalls are surely waiting. With darkening skies and no home for the evening, we opted to call it a night and find a place to unroll a sleeping bag. A brief stop to check out the small lake down the road revealed a campsite that would be the envy of any deer tick, mosquito, or garbage collector. Being none of the above, we continued on to the Soda Fork and found a small, roadside spot with an excellent view of a riprap bridge embankment and some Clinton-era garbage. Soon, a campfire was raging and I was well on my way to field-verifying the alcohol content of my vodka as we discussed everything from soil science and organic gardening to constitutional law and authoritarianism into the early morning hours.

Saturday, May 3: Soda Fork Falls

I emerged from my tent at the crack of dawn (8:15) to see that Jeff had discovered that every time he opened his map on the hood of his Jeep, it started raining, and when he put it away, the rain would stop. I reminded him that correlation is not causation, insisting that Murphy’s Law was a more suitable explanation for his luck.

After a hearty breakfast (one Justin’s peanut butter cup) we were scouting the upper reaches of the Soda Fork by road to get a lay of the land. Before descending to the bottom of the canyon, we opted to check out the overlook that Tim described in his report from last yearI made the incorrect assumption that it would only be a few easy yards of walking to the vantage point, so, despite my Vibram Five-Fingers and my 5.10 Canyoneers sitting on the floor of my car, I opted to wear my flip-flops. Fortunately, I only paid with a couple of small cuts to my toes. To make matters worse, we reached the cliff-edge and there was no sign of the waterfall that we were obviously experiencing by sound. Rather than spend any more time trying to locate the elusive vantage, we drove a short distance down the road and began our descent.

The descent was relatively easy as far as steep, deadfall-laden tromps through Oregon old growth go, but this section of forest seemed to be the perfect growing region for everything viney and thorny. And I found that I had a penchant for discovering said thorns with the same two fingertips and my crotch.

The forest thinned and we started encountering more rock outcrops, so we shifted our direction north until we rounded a corner and got our first glimpse of the falls. The lower half was obscured by a stand of timber, so the obvious goal was to get the base and hope it had a complete view of the falls.

This waterfall proved to be much more complicated than we could have hoped for, if we hoped for such things. It also proved to be much bigger than we originally thought. I spent much of the hike spouting a well-rehearsed narrative around the assumption that we were likely dealing with a 200-footer. Through thickening stands of Alder, we quickly established the vantage point that gave us the most complete view of the falls and noted that the shear, slender drop that characterizes the upper half has incised a narrow cleft deep into the cliff face, hiding it from view from all but the most direct vantage points. This problem is compounded by the complex series of cliffs that extend away from the falls; move just a few feet to the left from our vantage and a wall of basalt obstructs any clear view. Moving to the right, however, presents a different problem involving trauma and drowning. Such a move would give one a closer-than-needed view of the complex web of the lower section of the falls.
IMG_6272.JPG
After the initial shear plunge, the creek splits into two widely spaced segments and descends over a tedious series of plunges and cascades that weave around two ninety-degree corners and are plagued by heavy brush. This section was so difficult to view, impossible to photograph, and such a nightmare to measure that we did everything we could to dismiss it as an insignificant runout over talus and only include the relatively “clean” upper section. However, it was abundantly clear that all of the drops were descending over bedrock outcrops and that the “talus” was really car and house sized boulders squeezed between constrictions in the bedrock. It truly was an impressive display.
IMG_6279.JPG
Soda Fork Falls from the only clear vantage point near the base
Jeff’s measurements were astounding before we did any math. He took several measurements from different locations to ensure consistency and the numbers came out huge. From our vantage point that gave us the biggest view of the falls, 300 feet of falling water was visible. What was more astounding was that the multiple tiers below us proved to form another 100 feet of contiguous waterfall. Salt Creek Falls. Body Blow. Delivered.

Ascents always seem to be more direct and we were able to quickly ascend along the base of the cliff a fraction of the time it took us to descent despite the higher concentration of thorny vines.

A short drive north put us at the edge of the mother of all clear cuts where several tributaries join the Soda Fork. Sticking an ear over the edge of the canyon revealed the unmistakable sound of a waterfall, but, as luck would have it, the only trees still standing after the logging orgy of days since gone were directly between us and the falls. Jeff was tempted to scrap it and move on to our next target, but I was convinced that a clear view was to be had. A short scramble down the road embankment and through a stand of trees put us out into a dry, sandy clearing with sparse vegetation. An easy five-minute descent gave us a clear view of the first waterfall: a twisting, sliding, double-step horsetail. A quick traverse downstream revealed another two-tiered waterfall ending with a plunge into deep, tree-lined abyss where I could just make out the terminus of the bottom tier. The steepness of the canyon wall was rapidly increasing, so rather than press our luck with trying to get to the base, we opted to scramble back up to the road.
Upper.JPG
Upper falls of the Soda Fork
Middle.JPG
Middle Falls of the Soda Fork - into the abyss
From this point, the trip kind of went to hell. We attempted to drive around to the head of Bear Creek in the Middle Santiam drainage, but a deep snowdrift thwarted our effort at the halfway point. A return to Sheep Creek was the next obvious choice, but why settle for something that you are fairly certain about when you can take a crack at something that probably hasn’t been reported on for a reason. That something was Upper Soda Creek Falls. It is officially named and labeled on most maps, is within a half mile of a popular waterfall within a state park, and is flanked by multiple forest roads. Why hasn’t this been documented?

We may be the only two people who have ever hiked the trail to Lower Soda Creek Falls with enough pack to crush a sherpa while wearing gaiters. My initial plan was to use the trail from Cascadia State Park to hike to Lower Soda Creek Falls with relative ease, skirt the massive cliff using magic, and then float upstream to the upper falls. What could go wrong?

The trail wastes no time introducing itself. The grade is surprisingly steep, but it is well maintained – except for the bridges – which seem to have been built according to a strange set of standard specs. Apparently, milled wood fails to supply adequate traction beneath the tread of the average citizen who may occasionally hike along a trail in footwear designed for hiking, so the obvious remedy was to coat the entire bridge surface in rusty chicken wire. Feeling relieved that my recent tetanus shot would protect me in the event of a fall on the first bridge, we noticed that the wire on the second bridge was terribly unraveled and was peeling up to form what looked like a perfect rabbit snare – a legitimate trip hazard for the unwary hiker. What was the park staff trying to do to us?

After successfully navigating the objective hazards of the trail, we arrived at the lower falls and proceeded beyond it to the west, looking for any obvious chinks in the armored cliff. A faint trail climbed along the base of the rock wall, but no obvious routes upward presented themselves – at least none that did not require exposed and precarious scrambling. This was the case for as far as we could see. The farther we hiked, the more prominent and ominous the cliff became. We attempted it vertically, but a decaying section of “trail” above a 40-foot vertical drop aroused my Elvis legs. The scrambling was actually quite easy, probably nothing more difficult than low fourth-class with lots of opportunities to place adequate protection, but the consequences of an unprotected fall would most likely be terminal. Finding ourselves inadequately equipped for climbing, we retreated to the lower falls, where the light was perfect for photography and the typical state park crowds were conspicuously absent. Jeff measured the falls for good practice and, at 139 feet, was within five feet of Bryan Swan’s numbers posted on the waterfallsnorthwest.com site.
SodaCr1.JPG
SodaCr2.JPG
Our consolation prize - Lower Soda Creek Falls
Not fully giving up on the upper falls, we made one last ditch effort to try a different route that would also take us past High Deck Falls. A wrong turn placed us on the old mill site along Moose Creek and the down-home air about the inhabitants that had taken up residence on the abandoned site prompted the fastest u-turn in the history of modern vehicles. Backtracking to the previous junction, we were greeted by a prominent sign letting us know that we were not welcome on the roads beyond. I started to put the puzzle of Upper Soda Creek Falls together about the time we were nearly smurfed by SUV screaming out of the mill site. One passenger looked like it was wearing a live animal on its head and the back of the rig had a custom paint job that looked like camouflage for a garbage dump. This was enough to convince me that this river don’t go anywhere near Aintry and it was high time to call it a day and head home.

So, the first waterfall exploration since ’07 didn’t go a smoothly as planned, but we’ll just consider it a practice round. At least Salt Creek Falls is officially a little lower in stature.
Last edited by Loofus on May 7th, 2014, 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BrianEdwards

Re: Soda Forkin' and Some Other Waterfalls

Post by BrianEdwards » May 7th, 2014, 12:55 pm

Great report. Both upper and lower Soda Falls flow through a slot in the cliff, interesting. It makes photography difficult indeed.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Loofus

Post by Loofus » May 7th, 2014, 2:54 pm

Thanks, Brian. Yeah, I just realized that they both have that slot appearance. They are actually different streams though: Soda Fork and Soda Creek - they're separated by about 11 miles of highway, but they probably both flow through some of the same lithology to have the same erosive impact. I'm pretty stoked to get back up there and do some serious exploring because there are lots of falls labeled on the topos and the Forest Service maps.

Todd

Sore Feet

Post by Sore Feet » May 7th, 2014, 6:43 pm

Hell of a job dude. Too bad about the view of Soda Fork from below being so limited. Any hint that it may be easier later in the year - maybe scrambling up the other side of the river and then crossing back over above the lower bits?

Loofus

Post by Loofus » May 8th, 2014, 9:21 am

Honestly, Bryan, I don't think it will be any easier later in the year, but I could be wrong. The geography and vegetations were the two biggest limiting factors. The pictures can't really do any justice to how far into the wall the upper drop is seated. The real challenge is trying to find somewhere safe to stand and still get a view that isn't obstructed by either a cliff or a thick stand of alder. Moving downstream or across the stream (suicide) is probably only going to compound the problem. We really needed to move lookers left rather than downstream or across the stream, but a massive cliff completely blocked my view if I moved ten feet to the left of where I took the second picture. It also blocked any reasonable access further upstream.

If you go back to Tim's post from last year and look at his initial view from across the canyon, that little bit of white in the picture is where the main drop emerges from its cliff-walled "room" and splits into two segments.

It's really hard to describe the complexities. I was hoping for a nice, clearly defined base. Out of the hundreds of waterfalls we've documented, I think this one may be the most uncooperative.

Todd

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » May 13th, 2014, 7:34 pm

Awesome report Todd! Great that you made it to the base of the cliffs. I appreciate you referencing my trip.....with the view across the canyon of Soda Fork. That shot really shows off the cliffs and how hidden the falls are. Looking at your pictures, I don't think there is a better view of that fall other than my cliff-side views. Your pictures make the falls seem stubby when in fact is is a giant. This is one of those "you pretty much have to be there to grasp" waterfalls. I'm glad I had a front row seat for it! :D

Nice Sheep Creek Falls picture! It looks like you were about in the same place I made it too. There is another fall about 1500ft above the road where it crosses the creek. It looks to be a 75ft drop. I didn't notice it last year when I was researching the area, so I haven't been there. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures....so get up there while the creeks are high. ;)
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

Loofus

Post by Loofus » May 15th, 2014, 7:59 am

Yeah, you definitely have to be there to grasp how big it is. I think your clifftop view may actually be the better view. The falls do seem squashed in the pictures from the base, but it actually felt that way in person, as well. I really wish we would have looked a little harder to find your veiwpoint.

Thanks for the compliment on the Sheep Creek photo. I'm not too happy with how they turned out give the fact that I had near-perfect lighting. The colors just seem dull and the falls came out overexposed no matter what I did. Ugh. It does look like we found that same outcrop across from the falls - the perfect viewpoint.

This was really a recon trip to get a feel for the roads and the terrain. We're going to head back sometime in June to knock out upper Sheep Creek and explore the Moose Creek, Bear Creek, and Latiwi Creek drainages.

Todd

isaacfieland

Post by isaacfieland » August 2nd, 2017, 5:30 pm

Wow amazing job. This is amazing. Do you think any of these areas would be good for canyoneering? or would the water levels be too high even at their lowest? I am more intrigued by the soda fork. Lower soda fork sounds absolutely massive. That would be extremely difficult to do. What about the upper section or any other sections?