USFS Oak Grove Work Center/ Abandoned

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
kepPNW

Re: USFS Oak Grove Work Center/ Abandoned

Post by kepPNW » May 4th, 2014, 3:35 pm

Lydiavmars wrote:I mean no disrespect in arguing with you, it's just quite upsetting that you would attack someone when I did literally NOTHING wrong.
Yes, it was uncalled for.
Lydiavmars wrote:In my experiences, from here to the other side of the country, as long as you are not going to damage an area and leave it as you came in, you're doing pretty good in comparison to most
And with that it's my time to leave! Safe & enjoyable exploring to you all!
Hopefully, not for good! I'm sure this thread didn't seem like much of a welcome. Your views and interests do coincide with an awful lot of the folks here. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Guy

Post by Guy » May 5th, 2014, 4:42 am

In my experiences, from here to the other side of the country, as long as you are not going to damage an area and leave it as you came in, you're doing pretty good in comparison to most of the scum I see out there. My motto for accessing our beautiful & intriguing natural areas is this: Enter with my body & camera, leave with my body & camera. Nothing more. I hope that someday you realize that I'm trying to "earn" to be in the forests I pay taxpayer money to keep clean & safe by raising awareness, and positive influence among people who feel the same way I do. (Note, I don't see much being done to protect hundreds of natural wildlife I study at my job. And I have personally had to raise grant money to protect many areas and create wildlife restoration projects.) My hope is with enough positive interest in our natural and historic areas we can find a way to protect them, keep them safe, and stop the people who are actually destroying them.
Great Post
Thanks..
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » May 5th, 2014, 4:54 am

Lydiavmars wrote:
I mean no disrespect in arguing with you, it's just quite upsetting that you would attack someone when I did literally NOTHING wrong. As stated, I took unblocked roads into all of the places I go. I've never gone past a gate or barricade that was marked as "Do not enter" or "Road Closed". If a gate is open or there is a path then I follow it. It's not my style. As for Three Lynx, I've been exploring that area since I was still a teenager, and the schoolhouse was indeed unlocked. Yes, I did step through the giant hole in the wall, but if the ESD wanted people to stay out they would have put up a fence as is custom with demolitions work or put up signs. After this thread opened up I spoke to one of the guys in Administration at the school district and he told me that other than safety concerns later during demolitions they have no issues with people entering. (If anything they want the building out of their hair.) The local man I spoke to who lives there says it'll be gone in 6 months to a year. Which means a part of my local history is going to be gone. (Sad!) What fascinates me is that most people don't even care to keep these areas preserved. If the FS or PGE or ESD was so worried about people accessing these places they would take a CAT in and destroy the buildings or not leave gates open in my mind. Maybe I'm wrong and I should just always assume that the only roads I belong on are the ones with the meth heads and illegal shooting.

The last time I explored up on FR-45 I was completely saddened and infuriated by the state of roads leading to the top of Goat Mountain. Obviously no one was trying too hard to keep that area protected. People have used rock crawlers and destroyed most of the paths to the summit to the point that the average person cannot even access Clear Lake anymore. This isn't the first time I've experienced intense anger at the bold and blatant disrespect most show to the forest. I've also see slews of garbage dumped, people shooting where they shouldn't and camping in places that are obviously not meant for humans (like at the base of Memaloose Lake).

I think by your reasoning we also would not be allowed access to the Memaloose Tunnel system or the waterfalls because it's property of the South Fork Water District. But, as a part of our history that will soon be lost, who's making the laws or telling people to stay out? I haven't once found something that tells me these areas are not open for the public.

In my experiences, from here to the other side of the country, as long as you are not going to damage an area and leave it as you came in, you're doing pretty good in comparison to most of the scum I see out there. My motto for accessing our beautiful & intriguing natural areas is this: Enter with my body & camera, leave with my body & camera. Nothing more. I hope that someday you realize that I'm trying to "earn" to be in the forests I pay taxpayer money to keep clean & safe by raising awareness, and positive influence among people who feel the same way I do. (Note, I don't see much being done to protect hundreds of natural wildlife I study at my job. And I have personally had to raise grant money to protect many areas and create wildlife restoration projects.) My hope is with enough positive interest in our natural and historic areas we can find a way to protect them, keep them safe, and stop the people who are actually destroying them.

And with that it's my time to leave! Safe & enjoyable exploring to you all!
Well said! I had no idea that the youth from Timber Lake were capable of doing things like that. In my experience with them, I assumed that they were not allowed to leave from the presence of an adult.

In my 1st few years with the FS, I worked primarily on Road 45. Now I basically gave up that area because it is a loosing battle with the meth heads, drug users, partiers, target shooters and off roaders.

Thanks for your imput and I'm sorry I assumed any injustice on your part.

Koda

Post by Koda » May 5th, 2014, 3:32 pm

Interesting debate… I don’t mean to stir any more dust but I find the law on this kinda interesting. My understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong….

1) the landowner has no obligation to barricade or place no trespassing signage…
2) some lands on public lands are leased to them by permit, in which case the permit holder is required to post signage in order to restrict or control access. E.g.: logging, mining, grazing, etc. operations on public lands.
3) if your on private (or closed) land you ARE trespassing, whether you know it or not
4) Except for #2, Trespassing in itself isn’t a crime until you refuse to leave when verbally asked to leave by the property owner or person in charge.

….and since none of the “suspects” here were asked to leave, no crime was committed.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » May 5th, 2014, 6:33 pm

Koda wrote: 1) the landowner has no obligation to barricade or place no trespassing signage…
CORRECT
2) some lands on public lands are leased to them by permit, in which case the permit holder is required to post signage in order to restrict or control access. E.g.: logging, mining, grazing, etc. operations on public lands.
CORRECT
3) if your on private (or closed) land you ARE trespassing, whether you know it or not
CORRECT
4) Except for #2, Trespassing in itself isn’t a crime until you refuse to leave when verbally asked to leave by the property owner or person in charge.
CORRECT

….and since none of the “suspects” here were asked to leave, no prosecutable crime was committed.
Emphasis added by me.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

kirk

Post by kirk » February 1st, 2015, 3:30 pm

Well it appears that the Oak Grove barn hasn't been completely abandoned. We were checking it out yesterday and someone's been putting a new roof on it. I don't know who's been working on it, but it would be cool if the students from Timber Lake Job Corps were doing the work.

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » February 2nd, 2015, 10:28 pm

There are a few other abandoned cabins in that area that were super cool when I was in high school. I imagine they are about trashed by now :cry: I also saw my first wild bear while driving just past this little abandoned camp!