Harphan on 4 5

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
chameleon

Harphan on 4 5

Post by chameleon » April 5th, 2009, 9:53 am

Yesterday I had another fun Harphan experience. There seemed to be a few other groups up the trail as well. There were bootprints and dog prints up the trail quite a ways. And before I go further, I have to say one thing...the trail is nothing like on the map - way more switchbacks, the view area that is in old pictures of the trail is nowhere to be found on today's trail, and the new re-route of the trail is horribly designed. I don't think I've ever found a longer trail to go such a short distance. The length of the switchbacks is ridiculous and unnecessary. You could see several places where the "old" trail existed, and it made much more sense! Not only that, but when they made this "new" re-route, they did not even properly rehab the old trail. It is blatantly obvious in places, mournfully calling out to you and defending the trail-design skills of it's maker.
Anyway...perhaps it just annoyed me especially as I seemed to have a bit of a stomach flu/fever yesterday and was not exactly up to speed. I had hoped to canyoneer the whole of Harphan creek yesterday, but due to feeling ill and then hitting lots of icy snow up top, decided against it. Instead I just headed back down the trail and cut down to get some good photos of the main falls on Harphan - better name coming soon... Getting down from the top of that falls turned out to be a piece of cake. And it is in my opinion, one of the most elegant waterfalls in the Gorge - the upper tiers at least.
Here are a few photos from the trip. To get the view photos I had to go off trail. While there are a few good glimpses through trees, there are no good clear view sights from the trail itself.
from near top of canyon.jpg
upper tier.jpg
IMG_0976.jpg
upper tier harphan.jpg
upper tier harphan 3.jpg
overall view harphan.jpg
Here is a photo of where I would call the official base of this multi-tiered waterfall. It is a nice 25 ft, low angle segment, choked with debris, but is only a hint of what lies out of view above.
harphan bottom tier.jpg
st helens from harphan.jpg
poison oak harphan crk.jpg
small tracks harphan.jpg

AlexanderSupertramp

Re: Harphan on 4 5

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » April 5th, 2009, 10:55 am

Very nice Zach. That upper tier is rather suave looking :).

chameleon

Post by chameleon » April 5th, 2009, 11:03 am

A few more pics...first, on my way up, I noticed this fellow getting gas next to me. Wonder where he was heading to - he looked to be enjoying the day.
100_1490.jpg
Here's Mt. Adams poking through the trees
mt adams from harphan.jpg

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 5th, 2009, 8:45 pm

Nice photos, Zach -- Harphan is in the Wahkeena family of multi-tiered, graceful waterfalls. Very nice find!

-Tom :)

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » April 5th, 2009, 9:21 pm

im anxious to see what you decide on for a name. i love those photos... one of the most graceful waterfalls off trail in the gorge!!
Jamey Pyles

chameleon

Post by chameleon » April 5th, 2009, 9:52 pm

Ok, how about these for names for the Harphan waterfalls - the main falls... "Klikamuks falls" - this is the chinook word for the local blackberries they ate. The beautiful falls above this one..."Amote falls" - the Chinook word for the wild strawberries of the region. The third falls... hmmm....I'll have to find another sweet berry word... Anyway, for positive ID, here is Klikamuks falls -
overall view harphan.jpg
And here are two photos of Amote falls - directly upstream from Klikamuks -
harphan 20.jpg
harphan falls 2 3.jpg
So there ya go Tom, Jamey and Bryan, we have names for the falls on Harphan! I hope you guys all get up to them one of these days. For competant scramblers the canyon is not hard, and you can reach the falls fairly easily. And they're definately pretty.
-Zach

jaimito

Post by jaimito » April 6th, 2009, 1:38 pm

Dude I can totally sympathize, I mentioned to you earlier that was the route I took to North Lake… It is like Switch Back Hell…