Mitchell Point in Search of Wagon Road

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
AFLitt

Re: Mitchell Point in Search of Wagon Road

Post by AFLitt » April 21st, 2014, 8:17 am

Limey wrote:Where we differ is when you made the jag NE and then NW, we went straight and ended up at the steep hillside. I had started to go your way when hubby said no, it goes this way. Did you see the section of old telephone wire hanging in the trees just by the slide? At least I think that's what it was. Looked just like other telephone wire we've come across in other areas.
I went straight the first time too thinking that the route on the map was a slide or something. It is confusing, and I suspect that some of the switch backs may have been cut at a later time if they were being used as logging roads. So, that road grade at the top may have been the wagon road at one point. Or a logging road. It is hard to tell. But if it was a wagon road switchback, I sure couldn't find the rest of it.

Down lower, there is a graded switchback that has an old utility pole on it that feels like wagon road to me, but is cut by the route on my map. I will probably add these two features to it at some point, but I think this is a good start. It shows a decent approximation of a walkable route to explore the road.

I missed the wire! I would have liked to have seen that. If it was near the slide area, I was probably too focused on the slide and not tumbling down the hill to notice it. I'm not crossing that thing again! It was ok about half way across, then got a lot steeper and very unstable. I don't get nervous in those situations very often, but I was really second guessing my choice that afternoon for a few minutes until I made it the rest of the way across.
Recreating The Historic Columbia River Highway:http://www.recreatingthehcrh.org/