A Closer Look at Lindsey Creek

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Don Nelsen

Re: A Closer Look at Lindsey Creek

Post by Don Nelsen » April 16th, 2009, 2:42 pm

Splintercat wrote:Thanks for the clarification, Zach & Jamey. A bit more history from the area: the sculpted rock abutment on the east side of Summit Creek, where it crosses under I-84, is a relatively recent creation -- and is also why the creek is almost buried in rubble near the highway. In the late 1980s (I think), a group of huge boulders dropped from this cliff onto the highway, instantly crushing what I recall to be a van, killing several passengers, and also causing other cars to crash, with injuries. ODOT basically removed the cliff after that incident, and created the terraces and catchment structure that you now see.

-Tom
That happened about October of 1984 and two children were killed. ODOT worked for at least a couple of years on the project to cut the cliff back.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Waffle Stomper

Re: A Closer Look at Lindsey Creek

Post by Waffle Stomper » April 16th, 2009, 2:56 pm

chameleon wrote:After I got back down the neat falls at the end of the slot, I decided to see if I could catch a fish on Lindsey creek. I had forgotten my fly reel at home, so when I left the car I just brought a fly leader and a few flies. At the base of the falls I tied the leader to a nice long stick and made my own little fishing pole. Who says you need to spend money to have a good day fly-fishing. In less than 5 minutes a beautiful little trout decided to give my fly a try. It was the size of a brook trout, but with markings unlike a brook trout. Perhaps a rainbow/brook trout hybrid? Here's a photo I snapped of the little guy before gently releasing him back into the stream.
Lindsey creek trout 1.jpg
-Zach
Watch out Bear Grills - - - We have our own Survivorman right here.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir