Cave Falls on Big Creek in Gifford Pinchot National Forest

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
ken leibert

Cave Falls on Big Creek in Gifford Pinchot National Forest

Post by ken leibert » September 15th, 2013, 7:36 pm

The view of Cave Falls from the official overlook is rather limited, and the overlook is closed because of storm damage. I decided to get a better view by going to the bottom of the falls. This is a bit of work but definitely worth the effort. Take the Speed Trail 31E to the Lewis River. You can ford the river to the trail on the north bank. Instead I hiked the south side of the river for about a mile (some scrambling over boulders) to where
Big Creek comes in on the left. Brush is light. Shortly above the confluence a small waterfall is bypassed on the right. Continue upstream climbing over downed trees and hiking in the creek. The water was generally ankle to knee deep and occasionally waste deep. I had a wetsuit in my pack but never used it. A bathing suit worked fine on a hot day.
As you go further upstream the creek becomes more interesting as you hike on bed rock. The stream goes into a cave into which you can easily wade. However the cave ceiling drops quickly, and it’s dark. I didn’t have a light, so I don’t know if you can go all the way through. The cave is easily bypassed by scrambling over huge mossy boulders on the right. Turn a corner and you arrive at the bottom of Cave Falls.

This is a remarkable place. It is a horsetail falls with a huge cave like amphitheater behind it. You can easily walk behind it and continue to where on older, but now dry abandoned channel, heads down stream. Next to the falls there is a pinnacle that is simply immense. Cave Falls has several drops. The topmost one appears to emerge from a cave, but it could be a very narrow slot with overhanging walls. This is not an easy hike. It took me five hours round trip, but it was definitely worth it to see this incredible place.

Ken Leibert
Attachments
P9090724.JPG
P9090710.JPG
P9090701.JPG
P9090699.JPG
P9090692.JPG
P9090687.JPG
P9090684.JPG

BrianEdwards

Re: Cave Falls on Big Creek in Gifford Pinchot National Fore

Post by BrianEdwards » September 15th, 2013, 7:39 pm

Finally someone gets down into Cave Falls, and shows their photos! Thanks Ken
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » September 15th, 2013, 7:49 pm

Ken, you should have some canyoneers descend this and record their findings
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

forester

Post by forester » September 16th, 2013, 8:24 pm

That looks like a remarkable location. Wish I lived closer...

CuriousGorgeGuide

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » September 17th, 2013, 11:49 am

Thanks Ken....it's been on my "I wonder...???" list...but I lost the list, so thx for reminding me!!
cheers, scott

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » September 25th, 2013, 12:36 pm

Nice Ken, your first picture looks like it could be the mouth of the deep narrow gorge I was looking at earlier this summer. If you haven't checked it out, the upper tier of this fall is pretty impressive too. Thanks for sharing your findings. :)
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group