Harphan Creek Rocks!

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
jaimito

Re: Harphan Creek Rocks!

Post by jaimito » February 24th, 2009, 8:02 pm

OK Zach again I must say… Damn man don't you work!

While I'm slingin mud your finding waterfalls, how about we switch one of these days… : )

Good find once again…

Salud / Jamie

chameleon

Post by chameleon » February 26th, 2009, 8:05 pm

Jamie, I'm still waiting for you and Andy to be the first to photograph the uppermost falls on Wauna... I'm leaving that one for you guys...at least for the next few months!

airdrum

Post by airdrum » February 27th, 2009, 1:29 am

AWESOME Zach, enough said, I'm sure you know how much this excites me.

Jamie, you're right, we need to get out more. I know I have fallen off the face of the bushwhacking earth, I wish I could blame it on losing my long time partner but there certainly is a personal motivation factor. Let's just go for it sometime soon, out of shape I am, who cares, only one way to get back in the game.
Andy

jaimito

Post by jaimito » March 1st, 2009, 10:47 pm

We'll between the Trails Skills College promotional materials and TKO events, O and not to mention baby #2 on the way, I'd say we better do it soon, So Zach hands off on Wauna… LOL leave some for the rest of us… Seriously though good find once again and Andy lets do something soon, I know Don N. is down as always.

Jamie

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » March 22nd, 2009, 6:30 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cliffzener ... otostream/

i told my friend here about harphan creek.... he checked it out and got the above shot. thought you guys might be interested in seeing it
Jamey Pyles

chameleon

Post by chameleon » March 22nd, 2009, 6:39 pm

Awesome. If only he knew though...that's barely the bottom of the falls - a piece not even near the base of my pic - he would've had to hike up a bit further to even get a glimpse of the the upper, upper tiers.

He made the mistake I did at first - going up the left side. It looks much easier, but really isn't. I made it up it, and crossed over above, but came down the other side which really is easier. I hope he gets back in there to see the main body of the falls at some point. Thanks for posting Jamey!

-Zach

airdrum

Post by airdrum » July 14th, 2009, 3:43 pm

Hey Zach, Jamie, Don and I went for the uppermost falls on Wauna on Saturday, we climbed up the Tanner Butte trail and then tried to descend but we ran into unexpectedly rough terrain and we just were not prepared for the Devils Club mess. First time we have ever turned back, but rest assured, we will get it someday. I'm thinking an approach from below might actually be best!
Andy

chameleon

Post by chameleon » July 14th, 2009, 5:55 pm

Andy, you better hurry on Wauna! :P I'm hoping to get up to that one fairly soon too. If you do end up coming down from above, my advice is to stay to the north to bypass the 20ft "middle" falls about 3/4 mile in, and then to the north side again once you get down to the 4 segments of Wauna falls proper. Going up-stream is probably a better bet - at least that way, you know how to bypass the falls more easily coming down, and you're sure to at least see the lowest one! This past weekend I was going to hit that uppermost falls, but ended up getting some type of bug that wiped me out for those days.
-Zach

jaimito

Post by jaimito » July 14th, 2009, 9:53 pm

Zach I can tell you that we were able to find a route down to the beginning of the stream and then we were totally locked in with devils club, I mean really bad. You know we would of all pressed on but it was really brutal and not worth it. My guess is that we could go back and try a different decent and find our way but I think from above it is better early spring or late fall. Don, Andy and I might try a second attempt here in the next few weeks if your up to it? I'll let you know when if your interested.

JC

Navigator 2

Post by Navigator 2 » July 15th, 2009, 9:32 am

Way to go, Zach. I love these off-trail finds. I tend to spend more time reading these than the regular hikes.

I keep a small pair of nippers in my pack specifically for those satanic clubs. I know you wouldn't want to spend all your hiking time pruning, but they sure are handy for the occasional intrusive weed. I used them on the trail down to the top of Necktie once, and I've cleared out a few campsites.