Weekend of whacking our way to Washington waterfalls

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Rustygoat

Re: Weekend of whacking our way to Washington waterfalls

Post by Rustygoat » July 4th, 2013, 3:44 pm

Thanks Kelly...but if you noticed in my report that I did screw up on one of the falls we visited. Lost Creek Falls was apparently lost that day for us. :oops: This really bugged me that I was that close and didn't find the right waterfall. I knew what we found looked pretty weak to be on a topo map so Melinda and I went back, Lost Creek Falls....... FOUND! :mrgreen:
IMG_1485.JPG
DSC02903.JPG
This waterfall was definitely worth the re-trip.

As for the waterfalls off of FR8303...I haven't heard anything about any up there. I'll look into it.
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » July 4th, 2013, 4:28 pm

Tim,

Not familiar with Lost Creek Falls, so I wouldn't have known!

RE GPNF 8303 falls, you will know you are in the right spot, when you come to a small slot falls on the uphill side and a pool on the downhill side of the road. As I recall, there are twin falls that come out of the pool. Then there are a couple of larger fans back down the road a bit. Here's a map link: http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/QM ... &t=m&P=300. This map should be centered on Cougar Creek, which I think is the location. The road is (was?) skinny but drivable. I am thinking that maybe the slot falls & pool are at the unnamed creek just beyond & the larger falls are on Cougar Creek. To explain the LOJ map reference, since I am a peak bagger, my brain sorts Skamania County in relation to the nearest peak. It works for me.....
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

merelunacy

Post by merelunacy » July 8th, 2013, 11:18 am

Almost forgot about posting Chickoon Creek Falls, but here it is. :)

As they say, better late than never.