Weekend of whacking our way to Washington waterfalls

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Sore Feet

Re: Weekend of whacking our way to Washington waterfalls

Post by Sore Feet » June 22nd, 2013, 11:33 am

Rustygoat wrote: This waterfall was way more impressive than what we were expecting. At about 70ft Chickoon Creek Falls.
You're telling me, that thing looks awesome - I wasn't even sure there was something in there in the first place. Definitely know where I'll be on my upcoming long weekend.

Also, I don't know if I'd suggest going at Snagtooth from above, the whole canyon is cliffed out pretty good so I think you'd probably be looking at 2.5+ miles of bushwhacking each way taking the safest route down (at least based on the maps). Hell of a lot less effort to come in from the trail, plus you'd get a couple more waterfalls on the way.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » June 23rd, 2013, 12:31 pm

Rustygoat
I love reading your off trail post with water falls! stuff I cannot do :( Then it just hit me I'm also a car guy. Rusty Goat is that the name of your car too? As in a Judge or Goat? Ok! Im slow & maybe jumping to conclusions but it makes sense to me! I had a 68 GTO.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

merelunacy

Post by merelunacy » June 25th, 2013, 4:21 pm

Here's Rush Creek Falls...

Stay tuned for Chickoon Creek Falls video in a later post. :)

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » June 25th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Seriously good job getting to Rush Creek Falls. Nice video. I've been to that same perch, with half the falls blocked. I've always wondered just what they look like in full..
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » June 25th, 2013, 4:45 pm

Speaking of Rush Creek Falls, I was googling it for some different angles, and found my photo on a random website. Found a photo of someone else I know too, no names given. Odd

This site:

My Waterfalls Info

Here's the image off that site:

Here's my photobucket image:

Wonder if that site is for submissions or something

Sore Feet

Post by Sore Feet » June 25th, 2013, 5:28 pm

BrianEdwards wrote:Speaking of Rush Creek Falls, I was googling it for some different angles, and found my photo on a random website. Found a photo of someone else I know too, no names given. Odd

This site:

My Waterfalls Info

Wonder if that site is for submissions or something
That site is some shady crap right there. I guarantee you none of those photos are being used legally or legitimately. I'm actually a little surprised I didn't see any of mine on there (though I only went 15 pages in). Looks to me like the owner just grabbed names of the "major" waterfalls which have data on Wikipedia, and just automatically associated a bunch of pictures that popped up in the Google results with them. It's probably all automated and designed to churn out ad revenue from page refreshes - there is absolutely no intrinsic value to the viewer there.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » June 25th, 2013, 5:32 pm

I thought something was up with that site.. I don't see any ads tho. Still don't like seeing my photo posted with no credit given

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » June 25th, 2013, 6:16 pm

mayhem wrote:Rustygoat
I love reading your off trail post with water falls! stuff I cannot do :( Then it just hit me I'm also a car guy. Rusty Goat is that the name of your car too? As in a Judge or Goat? Ok! Im slow & maybe jumping to conclusions but it makes sense to me! I had a 68 GTO.

Bingo Mayhem....Rustygoat is a GTO reference. Although my daily driver is only a Tempest, I have driven/restored many rusty old GTO's over the years. I still have a few waiting to hit the road again at home. :mrgreen:
Thanks for the compliment also Mayhem. Funny but driving out last weekend Melinda and I were talking about your long treks, very cool. 8-)

@Bryan... GE didn't show much for Chickoon Creek. Definitely surprised us. I made this map and forgot to post it with the report. Yellow was our hike in and orange was the way out. About 2 1/2 miles total according to GE.
map.jpg
If you head down that way there is another waterfall you could check out that is nearby. I was going to do a TR but didn't have the time. From the trail leading to the top of Upper Lewis River Falls, Melinda and I bushwhacked our way up Alec Creek up to the road. It wasn't much of a bushwhack as we found an old trail that went that direction. If you look off of the bridge on NF90 over Alec Creek you will be looking at the top of the falls...about a 25ft drop. Very Cool, Alec Creek Falls.
IMG_4544.JPG
DSC00604.JPG
@Brian....sorry to hear about your picture getting used. I think next time I visit Rush Creek Falls I'm going to try it your way and bushwhack from above. Hiking on that old road really sucked for that long, but I do have to admit that it was worth it. That waterfall is awesome. :D
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

Sore Feet

Post by Sore Feet » June 26th, 2013, 4:28 pm

BrianEdwards wrote:I don't see any ads tho.
I didn't either, but I just assumed that was AdBlock+ doing its job.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » July 4th, 2013, 8:10 am

Great report Tim,

I marvel at your ability to navigate some of those areas without GPS! Guess I've gotten really spoiled in my old age.

Anyway, have you ever been to the cluster of falls up the 8303 road (up the ridge from Ape Cave)? Was elk hunting in the area several years ago, and was really impressed with the beauty & number that we saw in such a small area. Have looked on Bryan's site, but did not find any references. If I recall our location correctly, was near either N46.1143 / W122.2349 or N46.1243 / W122.2531 (most likely the later) Wish I had some pictures, but wasn't carrying a camera at the time (it was WET!)
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"