Three Corner Falls WA 4/6/13

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
BrianEdwards

Re: Three Corner Falls WA 4/6/13

Post by BrianEdwards » April 10th, 2013, 5:51 pm

kepPNW wrote:Y'know, I bet I have 50 or more photos of Metlako, but I never realized it had a companion down there! Is there a straight-forward way to get to, or see, it?
It's very straight forward. Where the spur trail to lower punch bowl takes off of the main Eagle Creek trail to the right, just past Metlako and the crossing of Sorenson Creek, take that trail, and in it not very long, there's a very well beaten side trail that takes off to the right again, that you follow to the top of Sorenson Falls. It's a VERY scenic spot. No way to get into the bowl of Metlako without a rope, but I wouldn't want to go down in there anyway.

I'll dig up a picture here right quick
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 10th, 2013, 5:53 pm

BrianEdwards wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Y'know, I bet I have 50 or more photos of Metlako, but I never realized it had a companion down there! Is there a straight-forward way to get to, or see, it?
It's very straight forward. Where the spur trail to lower punch bowl takes off of the main Eagle Creek trail to the right, just past Metlako and the crossing of Sorenson Creek, take that trail, and in it not very long, there's a very well beaten side trail that takes off to the right again, that you follow to the top of Sorenson Falls. It's a VERY scenic spot.
Cool! That'll be a planned detour next time I find myself on that trail. Thanks! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » April 10th, 2013, 5:57 pm

You may have seen other people's photos from this spot

EDIT: Crap! I just realized I totally highjacked Tim's thread.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » April 11th, 2013, 11:18 am

EDIT: Crap! I just realized I totally highjacked Tim's thread.
Haha :lol: ....Nice job Brian.

Karl....Brian's picture is from the top of Sorenson Falls looking at Metlako Falls. Next time you are at the Metlako viewpoint at a high flow lean out a little and look to the left of the amphitheater across from Metlako and you can see part of Sorenson Falls. I'm not sure if you can get a good picture of the two without some rappelling involved.

Viking....I'm pretty sure I read that TR on rappelling those falls, it looked like a lot of fun.

Brian and Bryan....Thanks for the list of double falls into one amphitheater. Some I've seen and some I'm going to have to go see. :)

Both of the waterfalls in that amphitheater are fairly tall, I'd guess 70-80 feet. The really neat part of this trip was working our way up the creek seeing the one waterfall and not seeing the other until we were right there. Very nice surprise. :D
Last edited by Rustygoat on April 11th, 2013, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 11th, 2013, 11:39 am

Rustygoat wrote:Karl....Brian's picture is from the top of Sorenson Falls looking at Metlako Falls. Next time you are at the Metlako viewpoint at a high flow lean out a little and look to the left of the amphitheater across from Metlako and you can see part of Sorenson Falls.
Not sure I can lean that far out! Just looked at my Metlako shots, and even when the leaves are gone - not a hint of it. I'll try putting the camera on my StickPic next time I'm there, and see if that gets a sliver. Will definitely try to find that overlook above Sorenson, though, too! Thanks... :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 12th, 2013, 8:37 pm

Great finds, Tim & Melinda! Not exactly sure where you were in the canyon (looking at GE, it seems like you must have been in the steep gorge section, but that's a ways up the creek from the road... hmm...), but I can only hope Gifford Pinchot and the State of Washington get a trail built up there so I can see them before I kick the bucket..! :lol: Absolutely beautiful basalt displays..!

Thanks for posting!

Tom :)

MultnomahVet

Post by MultnomahVet » April 13th, 2013, 9:48 pm

That's Awesome!!! It always seems like your the first person to ever gaze on these places when you get to them and all the bushwhacking, slips, bumps and climbing and-crawling is done. Always well worth it for adventure :D

bobcat

Post by bobcat » April 15th, 2013, 7:38 am

@Rustygoat: Great finds on the falls! They all look like worthy destinations!

@ the others: With a tiny bit more gumption, you can also kayak Metlako Falls. You will see Sorenson in the background at the end of the video.

viking

Post by viking » April 15th, 2013, 3:03 pm

2 falls 1 splash pool Wachella and unnamed side creek

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » April 15th, 2013, 5:11 pm

bobcat wrote:@ the others: With a tiny bit more gumption, you can also kayak Metlako Falls. You will see Sorenson in the background at the end of the video.

Wow, that's one way to see Sorenson Falls. I'll swing that idea by Melinda but I'm pretty sure her answer will be no. :lol:
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group