Hiking the Tillamook Railroad- Cochran to Wolf Crk: 2/15/13

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Peabody

Re: Hiking the Tillamook Railroad- Cochran to Wolf Crk: 2/15

Post by Peabody » February 18th, 2013, 6:17 pm

Mrs. P. and I hiked there exactly one year ago. We ran into author and trail advocate James Thayer. We didn't get past the first trestle bridge. :cry: It was a little icy and if you don't like heights it's (a lot) harder than the pictures make it appear. It that the only bridge without a solid walkway?

Our nemesis!
IMG_6567.JPG
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » February 18th, 2013, 6:56 pm

Awesome work Sean, looks like another cool hike to take the kids on :)

bobcat

Post by bobcat » February 19th, 2013, 8:57 am

Thanks, Sean. Coincidentally, I just finished up a Field Guide entry on this section of the line based on my trip there last winter. Maybe you can check it and see if I made any major bloopers.

treeguypdx

Post by treeguypdx » February 20th, 2013, 5:02 pm

Just finished this hike myself started at cochran and ended at the beach in manzanita. Just beyond where the above posted hike turns around and Wolf Creek Flats there is a pretty bad washout right after a tunnel that starts a series of creek crossings maybe 5-6 between wolf creek flats and where the Salmonberry meets the Nahalem. Once you hit the Nahalem its a lot more mellow although there are areas of the tracks that have a lot of brush growth on them. once I hit Foss rd. right around the beaver chute boat launch I walked on Foss road on and off until hwy 53, then we just walked highway into the ocean. Great trip done in 3 days of mellow pace and lots of stops.
Attachments
image-3.jpg
photo.jpg
image-2.jpg
image-1.jpg

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » February 20th, 2013, 6:51 pm

Wow, thats awesome treeguy. Thanks for the info about the washouts and for posting your photos. It sounds like it was a great trip and must have felt good to breath in that fresh air for a few nights at camp.

Welcome to the site :)

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » February 20th, 2013, 7:01 pm

Peabody, there was another similiar bridge on the section we did but it had some metal plates placed across it for about 2/3rds of the way.

Yes! take the trail crew in there, ep :D Lots of things for the kids to check out on this one, but some obvious dangers aswell.

Your post is really well done Bobcat, I felt like I was right back on the tracks while reading it. Thanks for all your efforts filling in the field guide, it's been lots of help.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » February 20th, 2013, 7:11 pm

BTW, this hike has a lot of cool places to hide out in if you're on the lamb.

Jeff_Portland

Post by Jeff_Portland » March 5th, 2013, 4:08 pm

My girlfriend just went on March 1st. We found the hike in the "60 Hikes Within 60 Miles", 3rd Edition that was published in 2007. We expected a working railroad and were pleasantly surprised when we found what we did. The directions to the Cochran trail head are much better here than it was in the book. We did the hike until we got to the Wolf Creek trestle. We took our time due to the many, many picture taking opportunities. I've attached a couple here for your viewing. The only feedback I can give more than what everyone else has stated is that walking on the rail was difficult on the knees. We were definitely feeling it for a couple of days after the hike.
Attachments
Reclamation small.jpg
InTunnel small.jpg
Amy bridge small.jpg

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 5th, 2013, 4:28 pm

Didn't Paul take that out of his latest edition?

I have his book, an edition with this trail in it, there are times when a paper book is nice.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » March 5th, 2013, 5:30 pm

Wow, cool Jeff! Thinking it was gonna be a running line and finding that would be a trip. I agree about the photo-ops and love the photo of the tunnel! thx for sharing