Three Lynx Falls 12/24, Upper Falls 2/1

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
BrianEdwards

Re: Three Lynx Falls 12/24, Upper Falls 2/1

Post by BrianEdwards » February 2nd, 2013, 4:57 pm

Ya, I'm definitely not recommending that log as an alternative crossing.
Last edited by BrianEdwards on February 3rd, 2013, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

rjtmmt

Post by rjtmmt » February 3rd, 2013, 1:05 pm

Brian
I would like to see the rest of the waterfalls in the Clackamas area that you are sharing, crossing that log at the narrows DOES NOT help your chances of seeing more of the waterfalls. We were at the narrows several weeks ago after hiking down from Indian Henry. That crossing may have saved time, but we used to raft this portion of the river and swimming at this time of year would not be good, even with a life jacket.
As far as the alternate path to upper three lynxx, the approach from pipeline road would not be shorter, but without the undergrowth, elevation gain, or crossing the no tresspassing signs. Keep up the good work, but stay dry.
Randy

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » February 4th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Glad that you got up there Brian...nice waterfall. :) Last Wednesday after I was at Three Lynx Falls we decided to go over to Pup Creek Falls from the Indian Henry Bridge. It was our first time going to that falls from the south. Very pretty and a nice hike until we hit Cat Creek. It was raging so we crossed on a fallen log upstream. After that there were many places that the trail was under water. Got to Pup Creek and couldn't believe there was no bridge there, we crossed another fallen tree. The falls looked awesome but it started getting dark. We barley crossed Cat Creek before it was too dark to see...really glad I had a flashlight. Melinda was asking about crossing at the narrows as we passed them because I had told her that I read about you crossing there. I went up to Bagby yesterday and on the way up we saw a few sheriff trucks and guys in wetsuits going to retrieve a body from the river, a little ways down from Pup Creek. Glad it wasn't you...you're work isn't done out there yet. Stay safe :D
Looking like a drowned rat at Cat Creek.
IMG_3324.JPG
Ragging Pup Creek.
IMG_3358.JPG
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » February 4th, 2013, 8:06 pm

Nice, Brian -- you bagged three year-round waterfalls as much as I've seen the documented by anyone. The Upper Three Lynx is far enough off the beaten path that I suspect you are one of the very few to actually see it. The other two have been visited (along the Clackamas), I'm sure, but nobody has taken the time to document them -- so good work in covering them! Streams are perennial, from what I can tell, though the maps don't capture the double falls as year-round.

Great work!

Tom :)

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » February 4th, 2013, 8:10 pm

Thanks Randy, Tim & Tom :)

aywolfpac

Post by aywolfpac » February 16th, 2013, 11:07 am

Nice work. Upper Three Lynx Falls is fantastic. Steppingstone is really nice as well. Cool finds.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » February 16th, 2013, 11:24 am

Thanks, Aaron!

Looks like I forgot to upload videos of those two falls, oops..

Upper Three Lynx Falls

Steppingstone Falls