Whale Creek Falls + Barrier Falls (merged)

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Rustygoat

Re: Whale Creek Falls 12/16

Post by Rustygoat » December 18th, 2012, 11:41 am

Nice report Brian! Whale Creek was on my list this year but we didn't get to it. I'll definitely make it a point next year to get up to those falls.
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » December 18th, 2012, 3:15 pm

Cool Tim. Post some pictures if ya go :)
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

aywolfpac

Re: Whale Creek Falls + Barrier Falls (merged)

Post by aywolfpac » December 27th, 2012, 12:48 pm

Awesome work Brian. I love the Clackamas River Waterfall site too. Very cool project and I can't wait to follow it as you visit more of these falls.

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » February 21st, 2013, 5:25 pm

Finally made it to Barrier Falls yesterday 2/20...that makes 2 Barrier Falls in one week. The other being on Gnat Creek last Saturday. Nice waterfall Brian, I'm pretty sure I'll be heading back to this one on a hot summer day. :)
IMG_5380.JPG
Tim

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » February 21st, 2013, 6:01 pm

Very nice, Tim! You had alot more water in the river then when I went. You also captured the seasonal falls beautifully in your photo. Nice!

At this rate you'll be at 365 by summer :)

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » March 9th, 2013, 9:04 pm

Rustygoat wrote:Nice report Brian! Whale Creek was on my list this year but we didn't get to it. I'll definitely make it a point next year to get up to those falls.
Kind of funny...quoting myself. :lol: Melinda and I finally made our way up to Whale Creek Falls yesterday. Got to the parking lot a little later than I wanted to but I was pretty sure we had enough time to make it up there. We made our way up the canyon and crossed the river then crossed back but had to climb a pretty steep grade, shear cliff to Melinda. :shock: She wasn't very happy with that way, but she's a trooper and kept on going. By the time we got to the falls we were both a tired and it was getting a little dark. (The tired part probably had something to do with we had both been up since 2am for work and school....plus we did this after Armstrong Falls) I made the call to head back and find a safer/quicker route back down. I did check out the side chute and we'll probably be heading back up here to check out the upper falls, probably after you check out what's above them.(looking forward to that TR) This waterfall was really impressive, thanks for pointing the way Brian. :D

________
Tim
IMG_6690.JPG
IMG_6663.JPG
Tim

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » March 9th, 2013, 9:20 pm

Whale Creek eh? You guys rock. Man, I seen the email and was like 'No Way did Rusty and Melinda get there!!' Did you guys just follow the stream bed up, or sidehill it.? The one time I tried following the stream, I was nearly turned around just short of the falls due to a steep section with big boulders with a generally slippery slope.

Either way, keep these waterfall adventures going. Consider me your biggest fan :P

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » March 9th, 2013, 9:37 pm

Thanks Brian but you were up there first. We climbed the slippery slope at the large boulders...pretty crazy. :mrgreen: I can't believe you were up there in the snow. That's just about as impressive as the falls are. :D
Tim