Idiot Creek Falls, & the other big Idiot 12/1

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Hangtime

Re: Idiot Creek Falls, & the other big Idiot 12/1

Post by Hangtime » April 13th, 2020, 1:12 pm

Adventure Mapper wrote:
December 3rd, 2012, 10:55 am
There are falls in similar terrain on Lester Creek between two rock towers. Also below the trail on a tributary. pt 1660 would be climbable for the bold but we chickened out. Descent from there to the creek is sort of a controlled fall.

Note how LiDAR data shows the old roads in the area. Some are easy hiking others worse than than the surrounding terrain.
Hey Adventure Mapper! I actually checked out the falls on Lester Creek and that rock tower on the east side of the creek yesterday with a buddy. Have you been in there? It's pretty steep terrain. All the ferns were spawning spores so I'm still itching from it :|

The lowest drop is about 18 feet.

The main drop we got to was 60+ feet and bottom of the top section flows down a little narrow slot. It's pretty cool!

Top section

There are some drops higher that we could not get to from the bottom. Have plans to go back and rap the canyon dropping in from the trail where it crosses the west fork of the creek.

Hangtime

Post by Hangtime » April 13th, 2020, 1:15 pm

Hey Brian, I was in that area this weekend, checked out Lester and made the way out Drift Creek Road. Have you by chance checked out the double that's on the tributary of Idiot that you went to? Above the first one you visited.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » April 13th, 2020, 8:02 pm

Hey, ya that three prong falls is pretty sweet. One of the three branches was plugged with a log recently.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.