3 Sisters Wilderness, Broken Top traverse...

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Koda

3 Sisters Wilderness, Broken Top traverse...

Post by Koda » August 20th, 2012, 8:22 pm

My wife, best friend Jason, and his girlfriend set out for a beautiful backpack over the weekend.... Originally we planned for an overnighter in Jefferson Park, but recent trip reports of mosquitoes from hell and the looming Waterfalls 2 fire smoke we set our sights higher in the 3 Sisters Wilderness and the scenic views did not disappoint. The plan here was to start at 3 Creeks Lake and hike the Tam McArthur Rim trail up high enough to find a passage for a high traverse above timberline over to the tarns above Golden Lake, then complete the loop on trail via Park Meadows and the Metolius Windego Trail.

The longer drive demanded dawn patrol putting us at the trailhead about 10am under grey skies. Before even gaining the rim the rain started and stayed with us off and on most of the day, although slightly dissapointed in the grey skies the rain was very refreshing to hike in given the hot weather we've been having. Despite the rain and clouds the views were not lacking...

The trick to this route is finding the entrance off the rim to gain access to the high country north of Broken Top. I did this once in 2009, but my memory of the entrance was gone... we did not find it. Poking around there is a ~50' cliff to work around, we did the hard part a class 3 scramble with some exposure, then a steep glissade on the lingering snowpack. We made short work of this, and was on our way off trail.

Grey skies giving way....

One down, the goal here is to keep a high traverse due west at ~7200 elev. This traverse, from here to the tarns feeding Golden Lake, is one of the most jaw dropping scenic hikes in my Oregon Bucket. Routefinding here is straight forward, although there is much more terrain here than the map suggests... all adding to the hidden beauty and scenic gems, I could easily return here... destination anywhere.

There are two small tarns feeding Golden Lake, which were our destination, that IMO are one of the most scenic destinations in Oregon. (as if the traverse route was not enough). Arriving at the smaller tarn first we talked to a lone day hiker, presumably up from Golden Lake. The main (larger) tarn.... was occupied :( this was a huge disappointment and gave light to the popularity of this area. We camped at the smaller tarn out of sight, and well... the scenery here is not disappointing at all. A small thunderhead moved in while setting camp giving me caution... I don't think this is the place to camp in a lightning storm. Immediately after setting up the tarp is started raining providing a great nap opportunity with faint thunder growling and rain on the tarp. An hour later to my comfort it was bluebird skies.... to last us the rest of the trip.

"Infinity Lake"

The main tarn Jason named "Infinity Lake" because of the way the lake outlet here blends into the horizon. Heading downstream from here is a well established user path... giving light to the popularity of this gem. The trail follows the stream most of the way to Golden Lake where the real popularity of the area is evident.... with roped off restoration areas (assumingly) and tents in view upon arrival. Hikers and Horsemen exploring the lush green meadow adjacent the lake. Regardless, the scenic beauty of this "off trail" gem is huge and worth visiting.

Golden Lake

A few photos later we continued on the well worn "user path" (might as well be an established trail, I have no maps showing it...) down to the trail leading to park Meadows where the last of the great majestic scenic views were enjoyed for our hike out. From here, we headed to the Metolius Windego trail for a long hot dusty hike through timber to our starting point 3 Creek Lake to end our weekend. Hot, sweaty and covered in trail dust demanded the attention of the excellent brews and food at 3 Creeks Brewery.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Eric Peterson

Re: 3 Sisters Wilderness, Broken Top traverse...

Post by Eric Peterson » August 20th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Nice, super nice Koda! Any chance you have the track for this?

CuriousGorgeGuide

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » August 20th, 2012, 11:26 pm

Good to see you up there again Koda!! No moonscape traverse-from-hell this time, huh!! Great pix...methinx you have a new camera perhaps...but maybe not, as it doesn't appear to have your polarized sunglasses in front--hahahaha!

Crusak

Post by Crusak » August 21st, 2012, 5:29 am

Awesome backpack trip! That looks like a really fun hike. I'm with EP - love to see a GPS track of your hike, if you have it.

This pic is amazing:
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

rick6003

Post by rick6003 » August 21st, 2012, 8:13 am

Great report, how many miles was your trip and the eg. I'm looking for something like this but would stay lower off the breaks. How would the off trailing be a bit lower around the Rim over to Golden?

Koda

Post by Koda » August 21st, 2012, 11:54 am

rick6003 wrote:Great report, how many miles was your trip and the eg. I'm looking for something like this but would stay lower off the breaks. How would the off trailing be a bit lower around the Rim over to Golden?
I'm not certian what you mean.... the terrain below the rim is all forested and you'll still have to find a route over the ridge from 3 Creeks Lake. The Rim trail is like an expressway, and so is the terrain above timberline.... I would need to know more about your idea to describe more... I think our trip was about 16 miles RT, I do not know the EG.

Crusak, the lush green meadows up there were beautiful and plenty, wildflowers were at peak too.

Scott.... Same camera and no moonscape, this time (that place is incredible).... a few things for you, do you know about the HUGE waterfall on the north face of Broken Top? And do you know anything about the huge forested crater adjacent to Rim lake in this area (see map)? Next time I'm out this way I hope to check out Rim lake and maybe that crater.

rick6003

Post by rick6003 » August 21st, 2012, 12:49 pm

Koda,

I am thinking of a taking some friends up there on a off trail backpack. I'm looking at this area because it seems pretty flat. The woods are pretty open walking under the breaks. I think we could easily climb any of the lower ridge lines with packs.

I am thinking of going down there this weekend and check out the possibilities. Looking at the maps, any travel North will get you on a established trail. So it should be hard to get lost or be too far off the beaten path.

Probably return on the Metoliuos trail.

Koda

Post by Koda » August 21st, 2012, 1:48 pm

Rick, there is a lot more terrain then the map shows... I will PM you tonight after work

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » August 23rd, 2012, 7:44 pm

Nice!

Thanks for the post. I will be heading out to Tam McArthur Rim at the end of August, although not for off-trail stuff this time.

I do want to do the Tam McArthur to Golden Lake exploration, but need to know the best, exact spot to get off the rim where you did the first time.

The tarns above Golden Lake are wonderful.

Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

rick6003

Post by rick6003 » August 24th, 2012, 7:53 am

Thanks Koda for the help on planning this trip this weekend. I still plan on following your route as far as Golden Lake, then we will cross country back to Tam and Rim lakes, if the going isn't too tough.

Brad, I picked approximate co-ordinates off a map Koda sent me.

I think it should be close enough as it will most likely be obvious once you look at it.
Last edited by rick6003 on August 25th, 2012, 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.