Snow on Ruckel

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
chameleon

Snow on Ruckel

Post by chameleon » December 16th, 2008, 4:49 pm

Excited by the prospect of snow, I decided to head back up Ruckel Creek this past Sun/Mon, hoping to get some photos of the falls in snow. I left with small blizzards washing out the visibility on 84, but the Eagle creek trailhead was surprisingly clear however.
About noonish I left the trailhead with light snow falling. I got to the upper falls probably @ 1pm and spent the next three hours taking pictures, breaking some dead branches up for a small campfire, etc... I debated camping on the ledge behind the falls, but decided not to, given the crumbly rocks above and the fact that with the freezing temps, I would not want to wake up to a huge rock pinning me to the ledge. (the ledge below the middle falls would be much safer for camping) Water expanding the cracks as it froze could cause some nasty rocks to come down.
As darkness fell, I built a campfire, made dinner on my stove, and listened to "The Old Man and the Sea" (narrated by Donald Sutherland - unabridged - awesome) on my mp3 player. The night was spooky though. I don't typically feel this way about natural places, and perhaps it was my imagination due to all the bones, etc... in the area... but for about 1/2 hour during the night there just seemed to be a "bad energy" feel in the area, for lack of a better term. No snapping twigs, piles of stone, or other Blair witchiness, but a palbable feel that sent my imagination racing. Earlier that evening as I was sitting in the dark around my small campfire I was poking around in the snow to find some more sticks and threw what I thought was one onto the fire, only to see that it was a bone! A closer inspection led me to one of the numerous deer skulls nearby.
Every once in a while I would shine my flashlight at the top of the amphitheater above the falls, hoping the see the eyes of a cougar or bobcat. On one occasion, a bright spot of light caught my eye and my heart raced! I turned my flashlight off to see if it went away with no light reflecting, but oddly enough...it didn't!? I moved to a better angle and realized that it was a star - shining through the trees, right on the top edge of the amphitheater! The sky had cleared a bit.
And it got cold...probably about 0 or a bit above. The snow had stopped early, and the sky opened up and was clear. At about 2 am it was almost bright out. I kept waking up thinking morning had come, only to realize that the night was just really bright.
Finally the morning did come and it was a beautiful day. I found a much better way to get up above the top falls, but decided not to follow the stream up further, banking on using my time to get some photos of the 3 main falls with snow that day. It was fun. Here are a few photos of the trip:
IMG_0378.jpg
IMG_0400.jpg
IMG_0403.jpg
IMG_0423.jpg
IMG_0435.jpg
IMG_0461.jpg
IMG_0468.jpg
Last edited by chameleon on December 16th, 2008, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pyles_94

Re: Snow on Ruckel

Post by pyles_94 » December 16th, 2008, 5:29 pm

zach, youre officially crazy.

but this is really cool!! i was actually thinking of making a winter trip to the lower falls.
Jamey Pyles

Arioto

Post by Arioto » December 16th, 2008, 7:14 pm

I've had that feeling before, but I didn't find any bones. ;)

jaimito

Post by jaimito » December 17th, 2008, 12:59 pm

Those shots are Rad… It's funny I was thinking about those falls the other day wondering what they would look like in snow… weird…

That trail in there now must be getting pretty defined by now… how is it?

chameleon

Post by chameleon » December 17th, 2008, 1:18 pm

Jamie,
Actually, thankfully, the paths in there don't seem to be anymore defined than the first time I went. I suspect most people who go in take slightly different routes. I even vary my path in every time I go, in part for that reason - so as not to create a noticable trail. I've found that I can do a lot less damage if I avoid the hanging meadow by taking one of the deer paths in the forest above - the forest there is very duffy/woody and much more resilient than the delicate grass/flowers in that meadow area and below...that is if you are headed to the upper falls. If the middle falls is your goal, I suggest taking the forested slope directly preceding the hanging meadow down to the creek and just following the creek up. - leaving virtually no path. There does seem to be a bit of a trail now from the firepits down to the first falls however :(.
-Zach

greglief

Post by greglief » December 17th, 2008, 8:27 pm

Hello Zach,

I must second Jamey's comment... you are certifiably insane! But in a good way. :lol:

I'm glad that you didn't fall prey to the spookiness at the upper waterfall. I felt a tiny bit of that when I visited last June, though I didn't camp there!

Terrific photos!!

Greg
Greg Lief
OregonWildflowers.org - locations, trip reports, user forum, et cetera
Greg's Back

chameleon

Post by chameleon » December 19th, 2008, 7:06 pm

Hey Greg,
LOL - insane?...for the strange spookiness talk, or for camping at the base of a frozen waterfall? :) - which by the way is a pretty cold place to be given the inversion factor (warm air rising). It was worth it. I plan on doing it again this Sunday/Monday but haven't picked out where yet...have to decide tomorrow. I've driven up to the Gorge a couple mornings before going to work this week, but haven't been too impressed with the snow since last Monday...hopefully we'll get a bit more before the "system" peters out. Have you gotten any good icy shots this week?
-Zach

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 19th, 2008, 7:40 pm

Here's a weird one, Zach: have you noticed that standing near a waterfall in very cold weather is noticeably warmer than the general temperature? I noticed this when I snowshoed to a falls last year in 9 degree weather -- after setting up my camera, I realized I was getting "hot" (relatively) and didn't even need my gloves! The 30-something degree water from the falls was creating a little "warm" pocket that must have been close to 20 degrees warmer than the surrounding air. In fact, I could take a few steps away from the waterfall, and feel the air temperature drop. Kinda counter-intuitive, at first, but it makes sense.

So back to your Ruckel overnighter, I can only assume by the sequence of shots that you were IN the creek at some point... do you wear gear for that, or do you just have a super-human metabolism..? :)

Tom

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » December 19th, 2008, 10:40 pm

howbout you do the whole kwanesum/ moffet trip next monday!!

HA!
Jamey Pyles

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » December 20th, 2008, 6:30 pm

or, more realistically you could go to big black bear falls (on fern creek)
Jamey Pyles