Kwanesum and the falls of Moffett Creek

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Navigator 2

Re: Kwanesum and the falls of Moffett Creek

Post by Navigator 2 » July 9th, 2009, 8:28 am

On second thought; if it becomes a national park, then we'll have to pay big bucks each time we go there. And I-84 is a major thoroughfare - How would that work?

But I was thinking, Moffett Creek could be another Eagle Creek Trail if there were funds to make a trail there. It could take some of the pressure off ECT and Multnomah (ghetto of the gorge). It would probably take some blasting, so it would resemble ECT. With over a dozen big falls, it would be spectacular.

I've often thought it would be so easy to make a trail to the first falls - nothing technical about it. Just needs a little brush clearing. Any reason that can't be arranged? I'd volunteer for that. Who do we have to contact?

Some more random thoughts: If a person hiked out to Wauneka Pt., maybe some of those falls can be seen from there...?
Falls #1 looks somewhat like Lower South Silver.
Attachments
Lower South 5.JPG

Bushwhacked

Post by Bushwhacked » April 11th, 2023, 6:05 pm

Did you explore the cave on the left of your photo? From other research I've come across, there is an underground creek feeding a waterfall inside. I've been into bushwhacking for a while now, but there are places like this that I don't yet have the technical skills to do on my own safely. Are any canyoneers out there taking on apprentices? 🤪 I'm serious though, I'm a quick study, lots of "dumb courage," and highly motivated. Mossy logs and waterfalls are hard to beat in my book. I'd also settle for a good recommendation (book, website, etc.) to help me branch out here. Nice to say hi 👋🏼

Aimless

Post by Aimless » April 11th, 2023, 7:12 pm

You're asking your question on a thread that hasn't been active since 2009. The original poster, Chameleon, hasn't posted here since 2018. The last person posting to this thread before this, Navigator 2, hasn't posted here since 2011. :oops:

But, welcome! Those of us who still participate here will try to answer your questions the best we can.

Bushwhacked

Post by Bushwhacked » April 14th, 2023, 3:53 am

Indeed a long shot, but it's not everyday or ever that I happen to meet people that are into this sort of thing. From my experience with folks in Facebook groups or on Instagram is that they don't respond to similar requests. Thanks for yours 🙏🏼

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 14th, 2023, 4:47 am

a book - Sullivan has a number of good hiking books

a website - click on "field guide" above

Aimless

Post by Aimless » April 14th, 2023, 7:55 am

We have a current member whose handle is Nwcanyoning who has a strong interest in the sort of exploration you're asking about. If he doesn't respond directly to this thread you might try sending him a personal message directly and see if you get a response. You'll find his profile here: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=15387

Nwcanyoning

Post by Nwcanyoning » April 14th, 2023, 9:31 pm

Hi all,

My guess is that there is an illusion of a cave to the left of Kwanesum. Probably an overhang from a leftover cliff band. Most the caves we have around here are lava tubes. The best cagey feature by a waterfall is the one at Valkyrie Falls near Detroit lake. Trials (in Big Creek) and Homestead Falls ( near Abiqua) both have some deeper undercuts. That being said, join the grotto in Portland if caving is something you’d like to get into. As far as canyoning, I would steer you to either the Mazamas in Portland or the Mountaineers in Seattle. There is a good online resource called V7. You may be a quick learner (which is good) but having the quick learner with safe folks in safe situation is key. Working at height and being comfortable is much different than many other things you will do so go out of your way to do it right. I myself learned from Chameleon a few years ago but I think many of us our focused on explorative situations these days. By doing so we create more canyon for folks to spread out. Anywho, hope this helps.
Ps, I haven’t no been down to Kwanesum as it is truly a rugged ordeal. Probably filled with thorns and poison oak… maybe some OG devils club. Whatever someone did pre eagle creek fire should be forgotten in this new terrain be smart.
Attachments
947528BB-F742-4B13-B646-B183054B0D2D.jpeg

Jett Powered

Post by Jett Powered » April 21st, 2023, 11:08 am

Ok, yes this is a very old thread but I really appreciate Bushwhacked making it pop up in the Unread Posts. What an amazing and inspiring adventure! Somewhere in the multiverse is a version of me who discovered canyoneering and explored these hidden gems. :)