Kwanesum and the falls of Moffett Creek

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
chameleon

Kwanesum and the falls of Moffett Creek

Post by chameleon » November 25th, 2008, 7:13 pm

Another weekend, another good adventure. This past Sunday/Monday, inspired by our recent hike on Moffett, Evan (Kokopelli) and I got together with Joe (Joe Mtn Goat) and Eliza, and set out to make the most of the two day weather window this week, heading back into Wahe country. This time I made a plan to take the Nesmith Pt trail to the Moffett Creek connector trail, and then down Moffett Creek from there. According to the map, it seemed the easiest and most direct way to go, and with two days of good weather...it should be a breeze. And while certainly a strenous trip, it did indeed turn out to be one of the most enjoyable times I've ever spent in the Gorge.
Though the days were incredibly short, with good daylight from about 7am - 4:15pm, we still had enough time to get good photos of each true waterfall (though not all the cool smaller cascades...inspiration for another trip - in summer!). Most excitingly, we actually rappelled the "big" one, and finally captured it's incredible image (perhaps the first images of it ever - though Tom and other Gorge historians may correct me on that). The name that I thought would be neat for it "Kwanesum," a Chinookan derivation meaning, "eternal, immortal, timeless" seems to me very fitting, though if Joe, Eliza or Evan have an alternative, it could be changed.
Though it proved to be smaller than we anticipated, at 160 ft, any disappointment we may have felt quickly melted away. In my opinion it is the gem of Moffett creek, a striking formation, protected by a small waterfall below and steep amphitheater walls. The stream below it has graceful pools lined with large red and brown rock, and striking formations at each angle. To me, it is now my hands down favorite Gorge waterfall. It seems to emblemize a bit of wilderness and timelessness in the midst of a now well developed recreation area - the Columbia River Gorge. In my mind, if anything can make the case for preserving the Oregon side as a National Park, it is waterfalls such as this. Well, enough words for now...here is finally a picture...
101_1414 ph.jpg
Here is a photo of Kwanesum with Joe in the foreground - in the right lower corner, about a hundred feet back from the falls.
101_1407 ph.jpg
I think all four of us felt a lot of satisfaction to have finally rappelled this beautiful falls. We had ideal weather for a November trip, and camped that evening upon a small knob above the merging of the two major tributaries to Moffett, from which Munra pt could be vaguely seen through the trees. We enjoyed a small campfire which allowed us to dry a few socks out, and had a good talk well into our 16 hours of darkness.
The next day we just had a blast hiking down, rappelling, etc..., with the climax being our "big" rappel down into the mysterious amphitheater of Kwanesum. Evan did a phenomonal job in setting up a great rappel and using our ropes in the best way possible, and I have one word for Joe and Eliza - fast! You two are some pretty quick bush-whackers! It doesn't surprise me at all Joe that your brother held the speed record for summiting Colorado's 14'ers. I think it runs in the family!
Overall, it was a great trip. I'm sure I'll tell a bit more about it later, and hopefully Joe, Eliza, and Evan will get some time to post some pics. Here are a few for today, and I'll post some more tomorrow. Here is Mt. Adams from the Nesmith trail that morning.
120_1351 ph.jpg
120_1358 ph.jpg
120_1362 ph.jpg
120_1383 ph.jpg
I'll have to make a reply post for space reasons, so these are just a few to start...so stay tuned! :)

Splintercat

Re: Kwanesum and the falls of Moffett Creek

Post by Splintercat » November 25th, 2008, 8:03 pm

GREAT report, Zach! Kwanesum is, indeed, a gem among Gorge waterfalls! BTW, thanks for the national park plug, too -- I couldn't agree more, and you probably know that I'm involved in just such an effort?

So, where is Kwanesum among the marked waterfalls on the topos..? The maps show three distinct falls (in rapid procession) at about the 1200 foot elevation, with the middle falls labeled "Falls". Wahe and the lower falls are also mapped, of course.

And yes, there is a very good chance that your photos (and Joe's) are the first of any of these waterfalls. I've been digging around for years in various photo and history archives, and never turned up anything about Moffett, beyond the USGS references.

Great work! Very cool!

So... given your canyoneering prowess... I'm thinking that the four of you should do a similar river-level descent of the Salmon River canyon, from Linney Creek to Rolling Riffle Camp. I did sections of this many years ago, and the kayakers have been doing portions of this since 2001, but as far as I know, nobody has canyoneered at river-level through the entire gorge section. I've posted some pictures from my trips there back in the early 1980s -- over here. If you actually documented Hideaway Falls, that would most definitely be a first... not to mention decent photos of all of the waterfalls. This would be a good autumn trek, since the river is quite gnarly during the time when I made my visits.

Tom

chameleon

Post by chameleon » November 25th, 2008, 8:05 pm

As promised, here are a few more pics to get started for this adventure...
120_1343.jpg
120_1400.JPG
120_1402 ph.jpg
120_1411 ph.jpg
1353 ph.jpg
100_1374 ph.jpg
100_1381 ph.jpg
1386 ph.jpg
120_1422.jpg
1396 ph.jpg
120_1442 ph.jpg

jaimito

Post by jaimito » November 25th, 2008, 8:22 pm

May I say… AWESOME…

It is going to be hard to one up this one for a while, well atleast till spring. It still amazes me as I am sure it does you guys how many falls there are out there that seem to be just right under our noses. Good work and glad you all made it out OK.

We should all plan a Portland Hikers trip come spring to go to Wallalute Falls, Andy and I have been chatting about it for sometime along with Tom… I think getting a group together to do this falls could be pretty cool, or maybe some other area that doesn't require repelling… anyway what do you all think?

Good job once again and glad you made it back OK

Cheers X 2

Jamie

chameleon

Post by chameleon » November 25th, 2008, 8:54 pm

Thanks Tom and Jamie! Jamie, that sounds like a great idea for a trip later on and I'd definately be up for it, and Tom, that link you posted for the Salmon River is great - that sounds (and looks) like an incredible area! And no, I didn't know you were engaged in an effort for a National Park! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help! That's encouraging to hear that something is being pursued for that.
As for the placement of the falls on Moffett - in the next couple days, I'll make a topo with corresponding falls placements (as close as I can guestimate), followed by pics of each and height estimates. I'm not quite as advanced as you with being able to put actual pics on a map, as you did for Tanner, but at least I can get some of the raw stats in place....and I'm really hoping that Joe, Evan or Eliza got some pics of one of us rappelling from the big one to put it in perspective. I came down it last, so I wasn't able to...but it would be quite a pic to see! BTW - that last pic of Joe, (with the red pack) coming down that 15 ftr, shows you the small guardian falls in front of the big one. If you look closely you can see white in the trees on the upper left corner from Kwanesum.
-Zach

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » November 25th, 2008, 8:59 pm

WOW....You guys are like the Justice League or something :D. As a matter of fact, I officially propose that monicker for the whole group of you folks that get out there and undertake these Superman-ish, Batman-ish, Wonderwomany type endeavors! Thanks to all of you.

Adam

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » November 25th, 2008, 9:57 pm

I have an idea you could use as a name for one of the falls... its sounds really cool: Illahee Falls, which basically means earth, like soil or maybe bedrock... just an idea. LOVE that big falls. next spring for sure i got to get up there!! is it possible without ropes... awesome pictures. did you use your xsi, the pictures look a bit different than previous shots of yours....
Jamey Pyles

chameleon

Post by chameleon » November 26th, 2008, 4:59 pm

Jamey,
This past trip I was looking closely, and I think you could make it up to it without ropes, but I don't recommend it. It would involve some really good route-finding and if something were to happen, you'd want to be able to get down quickly and without rope skills, it might be fairly dangerous. (doing class 3 with a sprain or break...not terribly safe) So, I'd recommend getting some basic rope training from REI or other source and gain some comfort with rappeling - a good skill to always have just in case.

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » November 26th, 2008, 6:13 pm

well what about from below?? how did you get around wahe the first time you went to "apocalypse" falls?
Jamey Pyles

chameleon

Post by chameleon » November 28th, 2008, 12:23 pm

Jamey,
You asked about the camera(s) I used on this trip...and no, I didn't bring my XSI. For weight reasons, I took my Kodak P880 and for the snap shots, my Kodak Z710. So that might be the difference. I usually use my little fuji for snap-shots, but it is a tad heavier and for this trip - carrying a rope, sleeping bag, etc...I wanted to cut the ounces.
Tom, the following is a map of Moffett Creek Falls, (with height estimates) followed by photos of each.
TOPO!map copy.jpg
Falls #1 ph.jpg
Falls #2 ph.jpg
Falls #3 ph.jpg
Falls # 4 ph.jpg
Falls #5 jpeg ph.jpg
Falls #6 ph.jpg
Kwanesum #1 (Falls #7) ph.jpg
Falls #8 ph.jpg
Apocolypse (Falls #9) ph.jpg
Wahe (Falls #10) ph.jpg
Moffett Creek Falls (Falls #11) ph.jpg