Deadwood Direct, June 17, 2012

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Peder

Re: Deadwood Direct, June 17, 2012

Post by Peder » June 22nd, 2012, 8:55 pm

Guy wrote:It clocked in at nearly 16 miles & 5000' of EG - Still a fun (& mostly dry) day!
And you are still married to your better half who makes delicious scones?
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Peder

Post by Peder » June 22nd, 2012, 8:58 pm

BTW Guy: You did not do Indian Point? It is a piece of cake (not scone!) compared with what you did last Saturday.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Guy

Post by Guy » June 25th, 2012, 5:41 pm

Yes Peder we stopped at Indian Point on the way down Gorton Creek, I didn't scramble up the point though,thought about it but didn't, needed some other loonies there to "egg me on" :^)..
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

pablo

Post by pablo » July 20th, 2012, 10:49 am

I returned to this route last weekend to investigate the view from the top of the cliff face shown in the first photo of this report. Here is a side view of the unnamed point as seen from Wyeth Trail.

I followed the route up, removing some flagging I'd placed last time and got above the point for the approach.

There's a knife edge ridge leading out to the point, looked impassable for a hiker like me but there is a route below that should work for hikers.

I went out on the edge of the ridge as far as I felt comfortable.

There are views from there, nice but nothing to write home about.

I dropped below this ridge and took a route that looks much more promising to get to the endpoint for the money shot but I chickened out. I'll try again later, maybe haul someone along just for company.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

rick6003

Post by rick6003 » July 20th, 2012, 1:25 pm

Hi Paul,

where exactly is this ridge? Did it look like you could come up from the bottom and traverse it? Looks like fun to me if there is enough to keep me interested. So far the ridge up to Tanner from 4 1/2 mile bridge has been the longest and the most fun. HUrt my arm playing Air Hockey so no scrambling for a while. Will be looking for more of your reports

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » July 20th, 2012, 6:21 pm

Amazing! I love how you tackle all these brave off trail adventures and the "destination" you have in mind is to do manual labor on the standard trails to improve their quality for others/yourself. You are one of a kind Pablo, it is awesome.

pablo

Post by pablo » July 20th, 2012, 8:43 pm

rick6003 wrote:Hi Paul,

where exactly is this ridge? Did it look like you could come up from the bottom and traverse it? Looks like fun to me if there is enough to keep me interested. So far the ridge up to Tanner from 4 1/2 mile bridge has been the longest and the most fun. HUrt my arm playing Air Hockey so no scrambling for a while. Will be looking for more of your reports
Hey Rick,

I thought Air Hockey was a non-violent sport, take care and let that arm heal.

This route starts just to the west of Wyeth Campground off the #400 and goes straight up avoiding all obstacles going climbers left. The point I'm trying to get is marked with a red flag in the map below. I don't think it is anything tricky or particularly challenging - I'm still wondering why I didn't go out the rest of the way to the end of the point.

--Paul
DDViewPoint.JPG

pablo

Post by pablo » July 20th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Sean Thomas wrote:Amazing! [...]
Thanks Sean - you know, I didn't make it to the trail I wanted to fix up on the original trip report but I did go back out there a week or so later from Nick Eaton trail and I was able to clear out that connector to Deadwood Camp - makes me feel good to do things like that - but I don't do as much as I should...

See ya out there...

--Paul

rick6003

Post by rick6003 » July 22nd, 2012, 9:02 am

Sometimes we just get that funny feeling. Best to listen to it I think!

Yesterday we were on top of Sturgeon Rock and the last bit of Spine I decided to go around to the end. Andee just traipsed over it but I had a feeling.

Guy

Post by Guy » July 24th, 2012, 4:13 pm

Boy you leave home for a few days & all kinds of great hikes happen!

Looking forward to checking this out, Thanks Paul.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors