Sheppards Dell Lost Waterfall

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
pyles_94

Sheppards Dell Lost Waterfall

Post by pyles_94 » November 22nd, 2008, 1:35 am

hey everyone.. im quite late on this one, sorry! on november 8, i tried out bushwhacking upstream of ponytail falls... that didnt really work out so we headed west on the old highway and made a trip up to the "lost" waterfall on Youngs creek, the upper tier of sheppards dell.

First, we jumped the fence and walked up the left side of the three foot cascade that is right abbove the big falls. we walked across the top of the three footer and climbed up on the west side of the creek, then ended up crossing again where the canyon bends and two gig logs stick out of the water. i walked under the logs and we came to a little 12 foot falls ultimately blocking the path... or so you would think. i remembered back to steves post on the upper falls, and remembered he said he went up a path to the left... we found the magical goat path and climbed up it... not terribly hard but pretty darn slippery on this rainy day!! the path traverses over the 12 footer, and comes to the base of the bigger upper falls. i would estimate 40-60 feet tall. heres what the scene looked like!

notice the big rock spire sticking out from the upper left side of the waterfall! intriguing!!

tomorrow i'll post some shots from the canyon on the way up...

its a great mini adventure and it only took me about 20 minutes to get to the base of it.
Jamey Pyles

Stevefromdodge

Re: Sheppards Dell Lost Waterfall

Post by Stevefromdodge » November 22nd, 2008, 2:05 am

Nice work on the exploration Jamey and the photography is just... simply... incredible. Since I've been there myself, I know that it's not easy to get a decent picture of the thing.

This is one of the places in the gorge that just screams for real trail access. Until we can somehow make that happen, I'm glad you're out there recording scenes like this for us.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » November 22nd, 2008, 8:39 am

Defintely a nomination for the 2009 Portland Hikers Calendar - WOW!

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » November 22nd, 2008, 8:50 am

thanks steve! and TED: i did submit it to the contest!
Jamey Pyles

jaimito

Post by jaimito » November 22nd, 2008, 9:44 am

Great photo Jamey… I've scurried up there myself and was never able to get a shot like that, just too tight of a spot for my camera… This falls is probably one of the most overlooked in the gorge, however this time of year is the best for viewing the entire falls…

Thanks for sharing…

Jamie

chameleon

Post by chameleon » November 22nd, 2008, 11:08 am

Nice shot Jamey! Do you have photo-shop. There seem to be a few areas of blur from mist on the filter that you could sharpen up easily with ps. I'd also recommend perhaps a slight graduated burning in of the top 1/3. Great pic! Keep up the nice work.
-Zach

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 22nd, 2008, 1:28 pm

Great report and photo, Jamey - that's a keeper! Let's see the rest of those pics..!

Tom :)

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » November 22nd, 2008, 2:37 pm

thanks everyone! chameleon, how do you "burn" photos and what is it? i do have a trial of photoshop elements.. dodnt know if you can do it on there or not...

heres the twelve footer:
DSC_0167webph.jpg
and heres sheppards dell in full fall color:
DSC_0190webph.jpg
Jamey Pyles

aywolfpac

Post by aywolfpac » November 28th, 2008, 10:36 am

The first picture is amazing Jamey. Just to get it straight, is this the top plunge that you can sort of see through the trees from the regular viewing area or is this another falls further up than that?

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » November 28th, 2008, 11:54 am

Fantastic photo! I like the little bit of blur in the picture. Well done.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir