Testament Falls - December 2011

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
HBOC

Testament Falls - December 2011

Post by HBOC » May 16th, 2012, 12:31 pm

My buddies Brian Kibbons and Brian Adelberg and I (of course) decided to hit up some seldom seen waterfalls, and hit up Kiwanda for the sunset later that evening. Kinda ambitious, especially with the sun setting at like 4:45..

So we hit up Willamania Falls as well. On Bryans' site (just looked up what the name of it was), it says it is on private land, yet there are no signs anywhere that is it on private land, and literally right off the road. I don't go onto private land unless I ask permission, so if I saw the sign, I wouldn't have ventured there. I even emailed Father Martin to get permission to get to Abiqua before going there..:)

Anyways, after some time, we made it to a trailhead. Now mind you there are ABSOLUTELY NO SIGNS for Testament. It is truly a maze of old logging roads and paved roads. To our surprise, there IS A TRAILHEAD with signs where we parked. I believe it said Camp Cooper, but I am not 100% positive. I know there was something along those lines because we knew we were at the right spot. There are ATV trails here as well. So perhaps this area is no longer closed off?

There are trails to the lake where the boy scouts apparently used. Covered picnic tables, canoes (looked like they were abandoned though), lake was drained and half covered in snow, and it even has a life guard tower. It is a spooky area..kinda like Crystal Lake in Friday the 13th movie (original one).

There is a sign for Testament Falls once down here, on the trails. It is a USFS sign, one you would find anywhere else. It is really faded and needs to be replaced, but there is a trail (very nice trails). The bridge is not in the best of shape - however. It was all frozen over when we were here, but that is to be expected, as it was December and cold.

So here are two shots. Lots of debris in the river, but it might be gone now? This is a nice waterfall, for sure. Again, I noticed not ONE "NO TRESPASSING" signs ANYWHERE along the trail or in the woods. So perhaps it is now open? It does take effort to find this place, as I don't recall seeing any signs on the logging roads/etc along the way for Camp Cooper..

Sore Feet

Re: Testament Falls - December 2011

Post by Sore Feet » May 16th, 2012, 9:34 pm

So here's the deal with these two falls.

Willamina Falls is 100% on private property. I know this because I actually got a phone call from one of the landowners who was expressing concern that I had posted directions to it on my website (I did not know it was private land either, due to the lack of signs indicating such when I visited). After discussing the situation with him, he indicated that the landowners (a group of local residents who lease the land off for timber sales, etc) frequently put up Posted and No Trespassing signs which are summarily ripped down by the yokuls who go up that way to dump garbage, target shoot and camp and hunt illegally. So please do not visit this waterfall unless you get permission from the landowners.

Testament Falls I was invited to visit (actually during the same trip that I went to Willamina Falls) by a guy who was basically babysitting Camp Cooper over the winter for the BSA. The land is owned by the BSA and I was told that the camp is (or was back in 2005-ish) basically mothballed but that they hoped to restore it to functionality again. He also said that at the time the public was discouraged from visiting Testament Falls for liability reasons but that they had hoped to get the trail system into better shape and eventually allow public access. As I said, this was 7 years ago, so it may be that the camp is in much better shape now (it was looking pretty dreary when I was there) and the trail system is signed and such. I don't recall seeing any No Trespassing signs there either, but I wouldn't operate under the assumption that the public is allowed in there without double checking with the BSA.

HBOC

Post by HBOC » May 17th, 2012, 12:10 pm

Thanks for the info on these! It makes since on the first falls, since there was a LOT of garbage and beer cans and make shift fire pits. A shame for sure. Dumb rednecks who have no respect for anything I assume are the ones to blame..

The campground looked deserted for sure, like someone up and left it in a hurry. The trail was actually well maintained, no overgrowth or anything at all. The lake had been drained. I doubt I will be back, but if I do, I will do so with permission. It is a unique falls for sure, but dunno if it is worth the effort to locate this again...

Aaron Yoder

Post by Aaron Yoder » February 4th, 2022, 12:04 pm

Hey All,

Very sorry for the necro-posting. I try to keep up on public outreach, but the internet is wide and deep.

My name is Aaron and I am the onsite Ranger for Camp Cooper, have been for many years, so it's likely you chatted with me, Sore Feet. I appreciate you educating folks about our little camp.

HBOC, it sounds like you were on our property in the off-season after the snows have battered everything. Winters are hard up here, always lots to accomplish before we open doors to participants. The lake gets drained to allow alluvials downstream, good for fish habitat. All in all, I imagine the place *was* pretty spooky looking. In the spring we fill the lake and start cleaning up damage from winter storms. Spring brings abundant wildflowers and owl mating songs, summer is idyllic, not too hot and not too chilly. Fall is quiet and mellow before the plunge into Winter again.

For others interested, we absolutely allow the public on property to visit our waterfall! But to be clear, Camp Cooper is a youth education facility that sees use year round by Scouting groups and others. For the safety of our youth, we absolutely do not allow walk-ons, and report all trespass to Law Enforcement.

(A side note, with such rampant vandalism as the coast range is seeing these days, most local landowners have little tolerance for gate-jumping. Signage or no, if caught you'll likely be talking with a displeased Sheriff's Deputy.)

If you are interested in seeing the place, please reach out to me at [email protected] at least a couple days ahead of time. If camp is empty we can often fit you in on short notice. We would trade emails about site expectations, and (especially for new folk) I'll send you a paper map so you can more easily find us. GPS drops out here pretty quickly. As I live here full time, I'll meet you on arrival. I've made the property my course of study for a couple decades now, so if you would enjoy the company, I am happy to lead an interpretive hike that covers forest ecology and the history of the land. (Don't expect too much about geology, it's my lean suit.) And if you just want a quiet walk on your lonely, I'll point you the way and ask you to check in on the way back.

Day trips are free, we just ask that people take excellent care of the place. If you are simply curious, please feel free to reach out via the same email address. I am proud of the work we do here, and happy to chat with you about the property. There are always opportunities to get involved in volunteerism on site.

Again, Sore Feet, thank you for educating on our behalf. I am sure it has kept some folks from running afoul of the law, and it keeps our young folks safe. I can't say how much I appreciate your help in that.

All My Best,
-Aaron Yoder

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 4th, 2022, 12:41 pm

I went to Camp Cooper in about 1968 or so. Nice it's still going, thanks for your work.

Aaron Yoder

Post by Aaron Yoder » February 27th, 2022, 8:18 pm

Hey Retired Jerry,
It's a labor of love, no less. Holler if you want to come revisit good memories.
-Aaron