Munra/Wahe Epic 11/9

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
chameleon

Re: Munra/Wahe Epic 11/9

Post by chameleon » November 14th, 2008, 10:34 am

Tom,

We entered the stream at the tributary stream. The photo of the waterfall there is the one that Joe estimated at 60-70 ft I believe. Though I think Evan and I thought it to be about 40 ft. It's possible I'm forgetting a falls between there and the 80ftr we rappelled. (which is the same as the one Joe and girlfriend rappelled to begin) I think for the most part I also agree with almost all of Joe's difficulty estimations for the "class" system. Most of the bypass downclimbs are only 3rd class, but the big one is definately 4th, though there may be a clever 3rd class route with a bit of route-finding.

However, I believe that the "falls" indicators on the map are way off. The bottom one is certainly correct, but after that...nope. I think the person in the helicopter was probably just like "wow, a bunch of falls...let's just put three fall markers close together and call it good." The elevation does not match where the map places the falls.

-Zach

chameleon

Post by chameleon » November 14th, 2008, 1:35 pm

Hey Bryan,
Is there a "Kwanesum falls?" This would be an awesome name for the big one too. That's disappointing that there is already a Sagalie. :( Kwanesum is cool too though, and actually has a better roll off the tongue. It means "Forever, eternity, always" - a good descriptor of the power of a waterfall. Tom, btw, I emailed Joe see if we can get him into the conversation!
-Zach

JoeMtn.Goat

Post by JoeMtn.Goat » November 14th, 2008, 6:46 pm

As Requested:
1st falls:
196_3034_edited-1 (Medium).jpg
This is a different view from the one I posted in the spring.
2nd falls:
196_3057_edited-1 (Medium).jpg
3rd falls:The one Zach has posted with the giant tree
4th falls:
196_3060_edited-1 (Medium).jpg
5th falls:
196_3064_edited-1 (Medium).jpg
And after that I put the camera away as it was raining too hard to take more pictures of all the falls below that. Nice work Zach!

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 14th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Thanks, Joe - that was an epic trip, for sure! Very nice falls up there - I hope to see a shot of that 200-footer someday, too..!

Tom

Sore Feet

Post by Sore Feet » November 15th, 2008, 12:29 am

chameleon wrote:Hey Bryan,
Is there a "Kwanesum falls?" This would be an awesome name for the big one too. That's disappointing that there is already a Sagalie. :( Kwanesum is cool too though, and actually has a better roll off the tongue. It means "Forever, eternity, always" - a good descriptor of the power of a waterfall. Tom, btw, I emailed Joe see if we can get him into the conversation!
-Zach
There are lots of Saghalie's around here. Between Washington and Oregon, there are two waterfalls, at least one peak, a glacier, a golf course and at least one creek with variations on that word. Kwanesum, otoh, is definitely an original name for any feature.

chameleon

Post by chameleon » November 18th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Thanks for posting the pics Joe! And in terms of that third falls - it certainly could be larger than Evan and I pegged it at (we thought about 40ft - but the size of the tree and proportions may have thrown off our estimate - so your guess may be more accurate than ours). I'm glad we both agree on the big one though!! I can't wait to get in there and rappell the whole thing and get an accurate measurement with a ball of twine.
Bryan - thanks for looking to see if there were any other Kwanesum falls! I think we should call it that then - it truly is an original falls! And Tom, I hope I can provide you a pic at some point. If not during the rainy season - I hope to get in there late next summer in safe photo weather and spend some time (maybe late August or early Sept).
-Zach

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » November 18th, 2008, 9:40 pm

this is sweet. i love hearing about epic trips that i couldnt even dream about pulling off... sweet shots. i really hope to see those someday... how hard do you think climbing apocalypse would be? how tall is it anyways?

i think im going to at least get to the bottom two in the spring sometime!
Jamey Pyles

chameleon

Post by chameleon » November 19th, 2008, 6:53 pm

Jamey,
Next Spring, perhaps we could get a group together with some of the Portland Hikers crowd into waterfalls - perhaps yourself, Andy and Lindsay, Don Nelson, Tom, etc... and do a day trip into Moffett Creek, Wahe, and perhaps Apocolypse. I think with a good rope and harnesses everyone would be able to have a good time and get to see at least the first two!
-Zach