The Russ Jolley West Duncan Creek Loop. 05/06/2012

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Guy

The Russ Jolley West Duncan Creek Loop. 05/06/2012

Post by Guy » May 7th, 2012, 4:18 pm

That's quite a mouthful for a title I know but it best describes the location! While this is deffinately an off trail route for now it wouldn't take too many more people walking it for this to become as easy as the Cedar Mountain Loop.

As well as the much talked about Oregon Russ Jolley Trail he also built a trail about 15 miles long on the Washington side from Highway 14 near Prindle to Kueffler Road just just West of Hardy ridge. While much of the beginning of the trail on the West end has been reclaimed by the forest other sections remain intact & one of these is near Duncan Creek. This route uses some existing RJ trail, old logging roads & a couple of user / game trails to make a 6 mile loop that includes 2 great view points & several lesser known waterfalls.

We set off from the Duncan Creek bridge & our first goal was to get between the West & East forks of Duncan Creek. There is a short user trail that heads up the West side of Duncan Creek that leads to a couple of logs over the West fork.

Temporarily stringing a rope across the creek makes it easier to cross the logs, well except for the first & the last person :) ..

From here the trail becomes more defined & leads you over to the West side of the East fork of Duncan Creek. In the Summer when the water level is low this first section could be avoided & you could begin the hike on the East side of the East Fork & cross over to the West side at a popular day use spot on the creek. Hope I haven't confused you all with too many East & West Fork references! If I have check the map!

After a short distance you hit the old RJ trail & you can then follow this up the West side of the creek. It travels through some very green & mossy forest with frequent views of the creek below.

Image Image

After about a mile or so there is a series of 4 waterfalls appropriately named Quad Falls but you need to leave the trail & scramble around the creek to see them & we didn't do that on this trip.

After about 2 miles you come to a lovely spot in the Forest with great views of Apron Falls.

Image Image

The trail continues up the side of Apron Falls and just at the top there is a junction that will take you West to complete the loop. First though we continued on the same trail to get a look at Railcar Falls and check out a viewpoint just East of Railcar Bridge.

Rail Car Bridge

Sherrard Point from the East view Point.

Railcar Falls were very impressive over 100' with several rocky falls & lots of water but nowhere to get a good photo of the whole thing. The photo below just shows the top portion of the Falls.

We then headed back down the trail to the Junction near the top of Apron Falls & headed West.

Like Hobbits on a quest we stop to check a faded and tattered Russ Jolley original map :)

Image Image

We reached the West Fork of Duncan Creek again & crossed back over to the West side.

"No dear, I'm marking a waypoint not updating my Facebook Status"!!

After crossing back over the creek the trail is currently less well defined but heads over to a ridge North of the Powerline road by way of some old logging roads & what looked to me like possible rail line cuts. The Ridge line climbs back up to about 2000' feet then begins to drop down again at about 1700' there is a great viewpoint.

From this point there are several ways down to the Powerline Road next to Cynthia Falls. The one we chose uses another short section of the original RJ trail as it made it's way over to & around the front of Archer Mountain.

The trail hits the Powerline road right above Cynthia Falls though you would never know it was there hidden from view the way it is!

From here it was just a walk down the Powerline road back to the Duncan Creek Bridge where we started, we clocked 6 miles & 1650' of EG.

One of my goals for this Summer is to enlist a few of the other looneys on this site & do a car shuttle day hike from the Archer Mountain Smith-Cripe Road all the way to Table Mountain so the next section that we will be exploring in preparation for this is the Russ Jolley Trail between Duncan Creek & Kueffler Road.

Lots more photos & a Map of our route here.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Eric Peterson

Re: The Russ Jolley West Duncan Creek Loop. 05/06/2012

Post by Eric Peterson » May 7th, 2012, 7:12 pm

Guy wrote: One of my goals for this Summer is to enlist a few of the other looneys on this site & do a car shuttle day hike from the Archer Mountain Smith-Cripe Road all the way to Table Mountain so the next section that we will be exploring in preparation for this is the Russ Jolley Trail between Duncan Creek & Kueffler Road.
I was thinking mile post 28.9 to Phlox Point then Table shuttle :)

Guy, let me know when you do the RJ from Duncan Creek to Kueffler, I have a DN track I think
but would like to track it also on my GPS :)

Also, we did a DN variation mini loop from Railcar Falls into something that I thought was supposed
to be the RJ but is not from seeing your map now. We did see the junctions for the correct southern
RJ section of your loop but didn't use it, just went straight to Apron Falls. Will get back in there
for some more action soon now!

Thanks for this report!

Guy

Post by Guy » May 7th, 2012, 7:22 pm

Eric, in my head I'm thinking:

Archer - Phlox Point - Hamilton - then across Hamilton Creek up the Power line road to the N Table Trailhead, down the Table East Way Over Cedar Mountain & out to Archer Butte to finish it up & pick up the second car. That would give us 6 Summits beating last years 5! Havent added it up yet. What do you think.

Will keep you posted for the next exploration it would also be good to do it as a shuttle, that would give us some time to check some Falls out in that area too.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Peder

Post by Peder » May 7th, 2012, 7:29 pm

Guy - thanks for the report; that is an area that I would love to explore. So although I am not a looney, hopefully is can still be enlisted when you do the car shuttle. I looks like you enlisted the assistance from one of your countrymen for the navigation!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

beag

Post by beag » May 7th, 2012, 7:55 pm

Guy, My suggestion to pick up 7 peaks with a very short car shuttle.
Aldrich, Cedar, Table, North Ridge over to Burkenfeldt, down PCT to Powerline road. Down Powerline road across Hamilton Creek. Up Powerline road to North ridge trail over to top of Hamilton, Hardy Ridge, across Woodard Creeks on RJ trail down Archer and come out on Hiway 14 near St Cloud.
Maybe 28, 30 miles. You could add Prindle to do 8. Extra mileage. I would volunteer to man a few aid stations along the way.
The only bit of a BW,and that is not bad would be crossing Hamilton Creek from the last Pylon on the East side of the creek to the West Pylon on the west side of Creek. Don has covered all this ground and has tracks of all these routes. I'm sure he will want to go along.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » May 7th, 2012, 8:22 pm

Guy and Beag, awesome ideas for a big time loony hike! I bet Don will go along too! :)

Can't wait to finish my area map!

What I have so far -

http://trailfriendsforever.com/RJ_partial.jpg

Been working on point to point mileages and elevations, much like a Green Trails Map does. :)

As you can see my little top loopy thing was just something Don sent me that I thought was
part of the RJ and it was a fun little thing with a nice game trail going down quite steeply!

Guy

Post by Guy » May 8th, 2012, 5:51 am

Hey Beag, Eric, Peder, I'm booked up this weekend but perhaps the weekend after we could get together to explore that next section & even do it as a car shuttle.

Peder we were 5 Nationalities out of 6 people but I was the only Brit!

Eric, Maps are never done :) ..
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » May 8th, 2012, 7:27 am

Count me in! Especially if it is on the weekend of 5/19-5/20.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Lurch

Post by Lurch » May 8th, 2012, 8:57 am

WHERE did you manage to acquire an original RJ map??
  1. Can I get a scan of it?
  2. Do you have others?

Guy

Post by Guy » May 8th, 2012, 4:11 pm

Lurch wrote:WHERE did you manage to acquire an original RJ map??
Haha! It's not my map Lurch belongs to one of the others I was hiking with. But I am sure they will read this thread & be aware of your interest.

Cheers.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors