Upper and Lower black bear falls last monday/colors

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
chameleon

Upper and Lower black bear falls last monday/colors

Post by chameleon » October 21st, 2008, 4:11 pm

Well, though the weather was less than ideal on Monday, I got up to lower and upper Black bear falls, as I did the Monday before. It was beautiful and interesting to see how the colors changed in just one week!
On both of these trips, I left early in the afternoon. On the first trip a week ago though, I completely under-estimated available daylight and hung out way too long at the falls. It got dark shortly after I began the return mile-long bushwhack to the trail, and it was a bit spooky.
There is a fairly good deer trail you can follow most of the way when the leaves are gone, but at this time of year, it is virtually impossible to follow it for very long before losing it. Therefore, you just have to roughly follow where you think it should be - above the stream, but below a series of bluffs above.
In complete darkness, it made for a messy and somewhat frightening bush-whack that night, climbing over and above huge fallen logs, with a fog rising from the streams below, bluffs and sketchy places occuring often. Thankfully I did make it back to the trail however, but way further down than I ever have in the daylight.
This past monday I made sure to leave the falls at 4:30 to give myself plenty of time to make it back in daylight. So while the weather was intense at times, it made for a much safer return trip. Here are some photos of the journey:
eagle creek sign.jpg
Here is a baby garter snake I found along the trail.
Baby Garter 1 ph.jpg
Leaf bw ph.jpg
metlako 2 ph.jpg
Here is the majestic upper falls.
Upper Falls ph.jpg
Here is the lower falls last week.
Lower Falls ph.jpg
Here's a photo from above. From below it is very easy to underestimate the height of this falls. Last year I believed it to be around 40 ft, but I'm certain now that it is closer to 80. The upper falls may be taller as well than my estimate last year. I believed it was around 100 feet then, but now I think it may be around 125 ft.
Lower Falls from Above ph.jpg
Here is a photo of the lower fall this past week. Notice the substantial color change!
lower falls 3 ph.jpg
Finally, here is a photo of a really neat small salamander I found at the base of the lower falls. I believe it is an ensatina salamander. It was about 4 inches or so.
DSCF9131.jpg

pablo

Re: Upper and Lower black bear falls last monday/colors

Post by pablo » October 23rd, 2008, 7:15 am

Beautiful photos, thx - the baby snake is really cute.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Cattrapper

Post by Cattrapper » October 23rd, 2008, 1:35 pm

Stunning Pics! Where are these falls? I've never heard of them before. Thanks.
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

chameleon

Post by chameleon » October 23rd, 2008, 3:32 pm

Thanks for the compliment! To get to these falls you hike up the Eagle Creek trail to Fern Creek. Hike to the second bridge past Punchbowl falls. (Its the next drainage past Tish Creek) From there, bushwhack upstream about a mile. The creekbed itself is a pretty good way to go, and there are numerous beautiful creek shots to be had. However, the quickest way is to connect a series of game paths on the northern side of the stream.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 23rd, 2008, 3:58 pm

I hate picking up garter snakes because they make your hands stink :)

Probably the snake doesn't like it either?

chameleon

Post by chameleon » October 23rd, 2008, 5:51 pm

Yeah, I imagine he wasn't too thrilled, but didn't appear too bothered. I've heard that they emit a musk and feces when held, but I've never actually experienced it. I actually don't handle garters often because they are usually easy to photograph without, but this little fellow was just a bit too wiggly and quick without. The ones that are fun to handle are the rubber boas! It makes a great photo when one decides to become a bracelet on your friends wrist. (I'll post a pic tomorrow)
-Zach

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » October 24th, 2008, 7:20 am

Yes, love da schnekkies!

Wanna see one of those boas....

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

chameleon

Post by chameleon » October 25th, 2008, 1:26 pm

Here's a photo of a rubber boa wrapped around a friend's writst, and another photo of the baby garter snake, as well as the bridge over Eagle that day.
rubber boa.jpg
-Zach
Garter 2 ph.jpg
9103 ph.jpg

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 25th, 2008, 1:36 pm

Beautiful photos, as always, Zach! Nice waterfall shots w/ fall color, too!

Tom :)

chameleon

Post by chameleon » October 25th, 2008, 6:04 pm

Thanks Tom! Yeah, it is going to be a stunning next 2 or three weeks! I'm hoping to sneak up there as much as I can.
-Zach
P.S. - You may want to give those falls a shot one of these days. The lower falls is pretty amazing - much like an unknown Ferry Falls, though quite a lot taller, and in my opinion, more elegant. And it doesn't require anything technical to reach - just a lot of patience with downed trees and slick rocks!