Mushroom hunting

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Rollin

Mushroom hunting

Post by Rollin » October 14th, 2021, 7:39 am

I made a video of my trip up there last weekend. It was really starting to snow on Sunday!

I go over some mushroom hunting trips, but there is plenty of footage of the area around there. Check out some of my other videos too. Most of them are off tail areas as I like to explore.

OffTrailPnG.png
Last edited by Rollin on October 31st, 2021, 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

jdemott

Re: Area by Indian Heaven - First Real Snow

Post by jdemott » October 14th, 2021, 8:15 am

Nice video.. Thanks for posting.

pdxalex

Post by pdxalex » October 14th, 2021, 9:27 am

You do a really nice job with the videos. I'm envious about the range of edible mushrooms that you found. I can usually get my fill of chanterelles and lobsters but only rarely see others. Maybe I need to head to higher altitudes.

To keep people legal, each national forest has a permit system for harvesting products like mushrooms. The Gifford Pinchot has free permits available online. It comes with a map, which is also available for the Avenza app. The wilderness areas like Indian Heaven are off-limits to any forest product harvesting but there is a restricted area around it that allows harvest of berries and mushrooms. Other national forests, like the Siuslaw, make you go to an office to pick up a permit.
Of course, there's rarely anyone out in the field enforcing the permits so the system relies on people voluntarily following the rules.

If you want a Gifford Pinchot permit, you can find out about them here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/giffordp ... ev3_004906

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 14th, 2021, 1:24 pm

Love the video. Thank you.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Rollin

Post by Rollin » October 14th, 2021, 5:16 pm

pdxalex wrote:
October 14th, 2021, 9:27 am
You do a really nice job with the videos. I'm envious about the range of edible mushrooms that you found. I can usually get my fill of chanterelles and lobsters but only rarely see others. Maybe I need to head to higher altitudes.
Thanks for pointing this out. That's why I mention 'by Indian Heaven' in so many spots in the video. I got the mushrooms in the area next to it and then did the hike after that.

You are right in the higher elevation. I went years without finding some of the other species until I went up higher looking. We're still looking for kings and my wife mention she really wants to get some of them for hot pot this weekend. If you haven't tried it, it's an awesome way to try some of these mushrooms without overpowering their flavor.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 17th, 2021, 3:44 pm

Oh, I didn't realize we had seen snow that low. Must have melted fast.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 18th, 2021, 8:07 pm

I have wanted to gather chanterelles for several years but I don't know where to look and I don't know how to avoid posioning myself. Any suggestions?

Rollin

Post by Rollin » October 22nd, 2021, 9:32 am

Webfoot wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 8:07 pm
I have wanted to gather chanterelles for several years but I don't know where to look and I don't know how to avoid posioning myself. Any suggestions?
I made another video talking about them. They are common around here. Check areas around 1-2k feet above sea level at this time of year. If you watch that part of the video I show you how to identify them. It's at 03:50 in the video.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 25th, 2021, 6:29 pm

Thank you. I've never even heard of some of those varieties, and bears head tooth sounds really interesting.

Rollin

Post by Rollin » October 28th, 2021, 7:18 am

Here's another one we just shot talking about Matsutakes: