I don't camp. But if I did...[update: follow-up trip 8/2]

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Re: I don't camp. But if I did...

Post by Chip Down » July 28th, 2020, 9:21 pm

mjirving wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 7:56 pm
Yep indeed. Although the spot I love in there is the big ass spaceship rock “football field” with the creek running through it.
You could literally play football there! :D And because it's ringed by higher terrain, it has built-in bleachers for spectators. Mike and I could be captains, and we'd pick our team from the oregonhikers roster. More realistically, it would be a fun place for something requiring less people, like maybe frisbee golf.

Anyway, as a summer camp site, I think it would be too dry. I don't even think you'd be close to snow this time of year.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » July 28th, 2020, 10:06 pm

I have pics of water running through the “field” on Aug 25th last year.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 3rd, 2020, 9:28 pm

Okay, I retract my statement that you could play football there. Lots of flowers, lovely braided creeks. I don't think I've seen it like this. I think I've been here only late in the year, like oct/nov. Now I love this place even more!

This wasn't a planned trip. Early Sunday morning I was looking for something to do, and decided this was it. So with essentially no sleep, I packed up and hit the road, arriving at Cloudcap at 7am. It was a hot hike along the crowded trail, but I suffered through it knowing the cold zone awaited.

First creek I hit was silty, and I hadn't thought to bring a prefilter, but the football field was braided with strong-running clear creeks. Although I had other places I wanted to visit, this was a perfect campsite, so I dropped all the overnight gear and continued up and clockwise, revisiting some favorite Newton Clark sites.

When I finally returned, later than expected, it was windy and in the shade, the sun already behind hood. I discovered the football field was a bit damp under three inches of sand-and-gravel, and I worried slightly about seepage, but I decided it was drained well enough. (Indeed, the bottom of my footprint was just a little soppy in the morning, no problem. Overnight wind was more of a problem, as if pranksters were molesting my tent all night.)

With a couple hours left before total darkness, I played a little more, reminiscing about certain spots, remembering what they looked like when ice dams formed and created skating rinks (seems to be a common occurrence here).

I couldn't see the sunset from here, but I was treated to moonrise, full, tinted (maybe because of a fire I noticed earlier).
Attachments
0.jpg
One of my favorite waterfalls. A bit secluded, easy to overlook. No chance of having to share it. Cool overhanging rock. Nice place to sit and just watch the water tumble into the void.
1.jpg
A little pond on ridgecrest! Had to go check it out.
2.jpg
Here it is. No inlet, must be fed by water that drains from snowfield under the rocky surface of the ridge.
3.jpg
Great campsite. Sandy level spaces, smooth glacier-polished rocks for comfortable seating, even some flowers. But nothing to do here, you're kinda stuck. Anyway, did it already, many years ago.
4.jpg
Tent circled.
5.jpg
Another perspective on my camp (lower right).
6.jpg
sunrise
7.jpg
Found on NC glacier
8.jpg
Aircraft part.
9.jpg
Given the state of our China relations, I thought this was appropriate. Discovered in the morning that I didn't finish my second one, so had stout with my oatmeal.

mjirving

Re: I don't camp. But if I did...[update: follow-up trip 8/2]

Post by mjirving » August 3rd, 2020, 9:34 pm

Awesome...love that spot.

Chip Down

Re: I don't camp. But if I did...[update: follow-up trip 8/2]

Post by Chip Down » August 6th, 2020, 8:10 pm

Matt Zaffino, KGW meteorologist, tells of recently forgetting his sleeping bag! Funny, considering he was able to borrow three jackets plus a tent fly from his hiking partners, and considering his camp elevation, I'm confident he slept warmer than I did :lol:

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBZ-E0UJMMU