Search found 135 matches
- March 1st, 2019, 2:12 pm
- Forum: Trail Q&A
- Topic: July 2019 Backpacking with Kids
- Replies: 2
- Views: 155
Pamelia Lake is a terrific suggestion. The hike in is a particularly nice forest hike. It is interesting to see where Pamilia Lake springs out of the ground some distance from the lake. If you have trouble getting a permit, Marion Lake would be a good alternative. It is a few miles south of Pamilia ...
- February 22nd, 2019, 8:42 pm
- Forum: Hiking in the News
- Topic: Visit the Central Cascades while you still can...
- Replies: 108
- Views: 3404
I assume that someone who knows how to do legal research has determined that the Forest has the legal authority to charge the fees that they are proposing to enforce the restrictions on access.
- February 22nd, 2019, 4:20 pm
- Forum: General Hiking Topics
- Topic: NW Forest Pass and Missing Amenities
- Replies: 44
- Views: 1074
I do not have access to a copy of United States Code but from what I read on line, the authority of the Secretary to charge these fees expires on September 30 this year. 16 USC 6809.
- January 12th, 2019, 8:31 pm
- Forum: Trip Reports
- Topic: Tuck and Robin Lakes Backpacking | Alpine Lakes Wilderness, WA
- Replies: 11
- Views: 1167
I went to Robin Lakes twice in the 70's. Both times on a weekend. The first trip the only other people we saw at Robin Lakes were three young women clad only in socks and hiking boots. The second time a friend and I took our kids and had an all-time great camping spot. Robin Lakes 2.jpg Very few peo...
- December 2nd, 2018, 4:37 pm
- Forum: Idle Chatter
- Topic: Old swimming pool at Camp Creek?
- Replies: 5
- Views: 1597
I couldn't specify firm dates but it would have been between 1945 when WW II was over and gas rationing ended and 1947, the summer before I finished grade school. Perhaps the pool was a victim of road construction. When I started skiing with the Boy Scouts in 1947 we stayed at the Boy Scout Cabin at...
- November 4th, 2018, 11:22 am
- Forum: Off-trail Trip Reports & Lost Trails
- Topic: St Helens: Searching for Sugar Bowl
- Replies: 25
- Views: 751
This is a picture that I took from the top of Mt. Margaret. Looks a lot like a sugar bowl to the right of the Dog,s Head.
I month ago my son and I went to Crater Lake for a day and a special day it was. I didn't post a trip report because we didn't do all that much hiking. Yesterday I printed some of my photos and concluded that they are worth sharing. From-Watchman-r.jpg Wizard Island from the Watchman Sun Notch Trail...
- September 22nd, 2018, 2:03 pm
- Forum: Trip Reports
- Topic: Broken Top’s East Cirque Lake 9-13-18
- Replies: 7
- Views: 897
Terrific report. My son and I are going to Sunriver next week and had contemplated going to Broken Top. This report should seal the deal. Crater Creek Ditch does indeed divert water into the City of Bend watershed but after it passes Tumalo Falls an equivalent amount of water is diverted to irrigati...