Loony Timberline Lodge to Eagle Creek: 8/24/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Loony Timberline Lodge to Eagle Creek: 8/24/13

Post by Sean Thomas » August 25th, 2013, 3:41 pm

I have always wanted to day hike from Timberline Lodge to Eagle Creek and visit all of that beautiful back country in between. Cascade Hiker, Potato and I were set to go late last summer when CH spotted a link the night before our trip indicating a few new fires in the area. A fire near the Eagle Creek Trail had forced closures to trails critical to our trip ending the dream for 2012. The link was posted here on PH by Granny Hiker so big thanks to GH for posting that link last year! This year, Jojo and I set out from Timberline after her brother and a few friends dropped us off at the Lodge Saturday morning for an epic day in the mountains:

Jumping onto the northbound PCT we shuffled down to the Zig Zag crossing. Just before this I inverted my ankle being stupid and not paying attention to my footing. I screamed out loud in pain and went down pretty hard, sweating profusely and getting frustrated at myself for doing that just 1/2 mile into the day. In hindsight, I probably should have went back to the lodge as I turned the same foot 3 more times through out the day, with the worst turn about 1/2 mile to go to Eagle Creek at the end of the day :cry: :roll: With a ten peak trans gorge coming up on Tuesday :shock: :? I am looking to trade feet for a few days, so if there are any willing tff's out there who dont need their feet next tuesday let me know :D

The morning clouds were beginning to clear for a bit but would return on and off throughout the day:

We took our shoes off for the Sandy crossing and had a nice break near the water:

Is this a Fly Amanita?

We took the Ramona Falls Route so Jojo could see Ramona for the first time:

Junction near top spur:

The drop to Lolo Pass went well and once we started making our way up towards the Lost Lake junction we only saw two people until we reached Indian Mtn. There was Pearly Everlasting in bloom near the Lolo Pass PCT TH:

There were really nice stretches on the way to the Lost Lake cutoff:

I was getting excited by this point as the foot was feeling good and it was all familiar territory for the last 21 miles or so:

The Red Elderberry was looking nice:

Lots of fresh cuts on downed logs that were snow covered and downright nasty looking a month or two ago. Big thanks to the PCTA and many other volunteers/hikers who make this trail such an awesome thing. Counting rings:

There some nice views of Lost Lake Butte and the northern tip of the lake from a few spots along this stretch of the PCT:

Lots and lots more mushrooms to admire on the way to Indian Mtn:

These were on the Indian Springs Trail:

Fireweed and Thimble Berry near the Buck Peak junction:

By this point Jojo had developed some really nasty blisters but she pushed on like a champ refusing to quit. I would have tarped at Ind Springs or Wahtum for sure!! Before long we were enjoying those awesome views as the PCT curls around Indian Mtn:

Love the Juniper covered slopes up there:

We met a nice hiker who was going southbound from Harts Pass to Ashland near the talus slope on Indian Springs. Where there is a nice view of Chinidere:

Jojo after hitting Eagle Creek and me at Inspiration Point:

Both of us wanted to get the Twister Falls/vertigo mile section out of the way before dark so we pushed on and barely made it past the falls before night really settled in. By the time we hit Tunnel Falls it was pretty dark in the canyon and we were trying not to wake up any sleepy campers at the various sites along the way. There are some seriously horrifying(and ugly) creatures that hang out in the cave at night:

Not many pics until we got back to the TH after 10 pm and waited for my brother to pick us up. The dynamite was here almost 100 years ago:

It felt good to get back to EC, lounging on one of the picnic tables and feeling good after another awesome day:

Peder

Re: Loony Timberline Lodge to Eagle Creek: 8/24/13

Post by Peder » August 25th, 2013, 5:10 pm

My money is on Joie doing the first double trans-Gorge in a day!

Congratulations to both of you!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

hike4fun

Post by hike4fun » August 25th, 2013, 5:50 pm

Amazeballs you two! I can't believe you powered through after turning your ankle so quickly in the hike. Total stud! :) I remember that day you guys had to cancel the hike. CH ended up doing Buck Peak with a friend and I. Bummed you guys missed out but we had fun! In a less loony kinda way. Lol!
Rachelle

"What's with all these drinkers with hiking problems?"

Crusak

Post by Crusak » August 25th, 2013, 7:38 pm

Fantastic day hike! Great way to tough it out past the blisters, sprained ankles and open-hand face slaps. :D Okay, your modesty is killing me here :) - I just got out my PCT Northern Oregon map and... adding the miles up... you did over 40 miles! wow.

That's a great shuttle hike. Nice idea!
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » August 26th, 2013, 6:13 am

Thanks Peder, pretty soon I wont be able to keep up and I'll have to super-sagg it just to stay within range!

Haha thanks Rachelle, more like total idiot but it feels much better today after some rest and ice/elevation yesterday :)

LOL thanks Crus, we did kinda stumble and roll in broadside to the TH :D but we finished strong despite that and Jojo is already planning her next attack on the trails.

jojomachine

Post by jojomachine » August 26th, 2013, 8:30 am

Peder wrote:My money is on Joie doing the first double trans-Gorge in a day!

Congratulations to both of you!
Thanks Peder! Haha! I don't know about that. Definitely not this year. :D
hike4fun wrote:Amazeballs you two! I can't believe you powered through after turning your ankle so quickly in the hike. Total stud! :) I remember that day you guys had to cancel the hike. CH ended up doing Buck Peak with a friend and I. Bummed you guys missed out but we had fun! In a less loony kinda way. Lol!
Thank you! :) He was a a total 'stud' lol.
Crusak wrote:Fantastic day hike! Great way to tough it out past the blisters, sprained ankles and open-hand face slaps. :D Okay, your modesty is killing me here :) - I just got out my PCT Northern Oregon map and... adding the miles up... you did over 40 miles! wow.

That's a great shuttle hike. Nice idea!
Crazy day hike Crus! Didn't think I could do it but pushed through. :) I just told myself that either way I'm going to be hurting anyway, so why not just finish it even if it takes me longer? :)
Ang pagkakataon sa buhay ay madalang dumating, Kapag narito na, ating samantalahin. [tagalog proverbs]

Chase

Post by Chase » August 26th, 2013, 9:01 am

What a hike and some great photos in there, too! Where did you take the "dynamite" photo?

Congrats on making it and crazy respect to JoJo for pushing through.

Peder

Post by Peder » August 26th, 2013, 9:04 am

jojomachine wrote:Crazy day hike Crus! Didn't think I could do it but pushed through. :) I just told myself that either way I'm going to be hurting anyway, so why not just finish it even if it takes me longer? :)
Well, wimping out halfway between Lolo Pass and the Eagle Creek TH does not leave many options for a quick access to a shower, food and a soft bed... :shock: That is an extraordinary day hike, even if Sean does all he can to make them seem "ordinary"!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 26th, 2013, 10:41 am

In most of the pictures, JoJo is carrying the pack . . . .

hike4fun

Post by hike4fun » August 26th, 2013, 11:20 am

bobcat wrote:In most of the pictures, JoJo is carrying the pack . . . .
Behind every strong man there is a stronger woman...just sayin :D
Rachelle

"What's with all these drinkers with hiking problems?"